Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

goomba wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 pm

I'm trying this out and got an unknown USB device error. In tsMuxer do you choose to output it as blu-ray folder or AVCHD folder? And do you leave the M2TS file in the BDMV\STREAM folder or put the M2TS file in the root directory of the USB drive? Thanks for any extra guidance with this, I'm excited to get this working.
choose bluray folder in tsMuxer and put the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders in the root of the USB drive. The BDMV folder will show up as AVCHD on the x700 and you play that folder.
I'm not sure if the CERTIFICATE folder is really needed, I never tried without it.

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:02 pm
I'm still getting 2.0channel even though plex says direct play.
I did more experimenting with the UGOOS & plex:

1- TrueHD, AC3 and EAC3 are all sent as LPCM 2.0 in PLEX even if it says direct play.
2- DTS and DTS-HD are sent as LPCM 5.1 in PLEX
3- For Kodi my vertex says ''Audio Bitstream'' and my AVR reports the proper audio for every format.
4- strangely, while testing plex with many many of my movies and without changing anything to the settings, two times I've seen my vertex reporting ''audio bitstream''. One time with EAC3 atmos (avr showed ATMOS) and one other time with AC3 (avr showed DD).. stopped playback, re-played and boom back to lpcm 2.0
so it looks like audio bitstreaming of any lossy or lossless format is not working on PLEX. Hopefully, future updates can fix that and allow lossless passthrough because FEL DV works very well on PLEX. The ugoos have great potential to be THE device we all wanted to have.
5- Composite kodi addon, you can play movies from your plex library. DV mkv and audio bitstream works too but it seems FEL playback is not stable.

As for HDR10 being sent in 8bit when DV is enabled:
the fastest method is just to enable LLDV when you want to watch HDR10/SDR content and enable tv-led DV for DV content. Otherwise, if you just turn off DV, you also have to select 422 in colorspace settings.
goomba

Post by goomba »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:45 am
choose bluray folder in tsMuxer and put the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders in the root of the USB drive. The BDMV folder will show up as AVCHD on the x700 and you play that folder.
Thanks, I was doing that part correctly and got it to work now trying something else. It's a new USB flash drive and I had it formatted as NTFS, so thought maybe it needed to be exFAT instead for the folders trick to work. I do have other USB flash drives formatted as NTFS that work just fine with MKVs and other M2TS files though.

After I formatted it to exFAT I put a small MKV file on it just to see if it would work, which it did and created the buda folder. I really should have tried that first before formatting it to exFAT though as I'm thinking it's maybe because there was no buda folder that it didn't recognize the BDMV folder structure. Maybe some other video file needs to be on the drive first in order to create the buda folder, whatever that does.
dirtnoise

Post by dirtnoise »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 am
this is not UGOOS related but I just learned that if you remux DV to bluray folder structure with tsMuxer and you put the files in the root of an USB drive, the Sony x700 is able to play it in dolby vision with chapters, working FF RW for long movies and no more green screen bug when you stop playback.

Hi,

I'm brand new to this and I tried to remux the file into a Blu-ray folder and I get this error:
"Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized. Please, verify stream fps"
For what it's worth I get the same issue when trying to remux the file into a TS or M2TS file as well. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong..
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

are you using the right tsMuxer ?
this one: https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/releases
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
goomba wrote:

I'm trying this out and got an unknown USB device error. In tsMuxer do you choose to output it as blu-ray folder or AVCHD folder? And do you leave the M2TS file in the BDMV\STREAM folder or put the M2TS file in the root directory of the USB drive? Thanks for any extra guidance with this, I'm excited to get this working.
I'm not sure if the CERTIFICATE folder is really needed, I never tried without it.

RESET_9999 wrote:

1- TrueHD, AC3 and EAC3 are all sent as LPCM 2.0 in PLEX even if it says direct play.
3- For Kodi my vertex says ''Audio Bitstream'' and my AVR reports the proper audio for every format.
4- strangely, while testing plex with many many of my movies and without changing anything to the settings, two times I've seen my vertex reporting ''audio bitstream''. One time with EAC3 atmos (avr showed ATMOS) and one other time with AC3 (avr showed DD).. stopped playback, re-played and boom back to lpcm 2.0
so it looks like audio bitstreaming of any lossy or lossless format is not working on PLEX. Hopefully, future updates can fix that and allow lossless passthrough because FEL DV works very well on PLEX. The ugoos have great potential to be THE device we all wanted to have.
5- Composite kodi addon, you can play movies from your plex library. DV mkv and audio bitstream works too but it seems FEL playback is not stable.

the fastest method is just to enable LLDV when you want to watch HDR10/SDR content and enable tv-led DV for DV content. Otherwise, if you just turn off DV, you also have to select 422 in colorspace settings.
Can you try the Vimu Player too?
dirtnoise

Post by dirtnoise »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:06 am
are you using the right tsMuxer ?
this one: https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/releases
Yep, this was the issue. I downloaded the nightly version and it worked like a charm. :D Actually figured it out before you posted but thanks anyway!
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

NiCE77 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:59 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
goomba wrote:

RESET_9999 wrote:

Can you try the Vimu Player too?
There is no combination of settings in Vimu player on Minix with Ugoos firmware that triggers Dolby Vision and HD audio, audio is either stereo or multi channel pcm, sounds like the same problem as Plex.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I sent an email to ugoos regarding the audio bitstreaming on PLEX. I encourage everyone else to do the same :)

support@ugoos.net
eugene@ugoos.net

I think the problem is UGOOS and not the plex app

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

https://github.com/moneytoo/Player

this player looks as stable as plex for FEL playback and at least gives you 5.1(LPCM) audio with any format.
Also, there's no fel ghosting when you FF to the endings credits of Power Rangers.
Not sure if this player can access network libraries though.
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:27 pm
I sent an email to ugoos regarding the audio bitstreaming on PLEX. I encourage everyone else to do the same :)

support@ugoos.net
eugene@ugoos.net

Apparently, it is an upstream kernel issue from Amlogic. The Minix U22-XJ firmware is in the same boat, so we should be thankful that Ugoos has at least gotten lossless audio passthrough working through Kodi's IEC packer, which Minix have not.

It doesn't look like something Ugoos can fix themselves. If anything, we should be asking them to fix the DV colourspace issue (the DV on/off setting should be able to be toggled for DV content independently from the output bit depth/colourspace settings for SDR/HDR10 content), and working with the maintainers of the Kodi DV build (fandangos, quietvoid) to help them get the FEL stability on par with Exoplayer (which is what Plex is using behind the scenes).
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:09 pm

this player looks as stable as plex for FEL playback and at least gives you 5.1(LPCM) audio with any format.
Also, there's no fel ghosting when you FF to the endings credits of Power Rangers.
Yes, this player is using the same Exoplayer backend as Plex, so you can expect that its media-playing capabilities are exactly the same.
Last edited by dysprosium on Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
It sure seems to affect more the scenes where FEL adds a lot to the image and I guess FEL doesn't add much to the MI scene that I compared last night because there's indeed a noticeable difference in certain scenes of the SM disc. Especially the red flower frames where it's very noticeable. But not much different on some other scenes like in the Eagle one though. lldv seem to be slightly more saturated/darker.
Minor brightness difference is fine
Seems LLDV on this device is free of bugs specific to blu-ray players and oppo clone.
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

dysprosium wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:29 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:27 pm

support@ugoos.net
eugene@ugoos.net

Apparently, it is an upstream kernel issue from Amlogic. The Minix U22-XJ firmware is in the same boat, so we should be thankful that Ugoos has at least gotten lossless audio passthrough working through Kodi's IEC packer, which Minix have not.

It doesn't look like something Ugoos can fix themselves. If anything, we should be asking them to fix the DV colourspace issue (the DV on/off setting should be able to be toggled for DV content independently from the output bit depth/colourspace settings for SDR/HDR10 content), and working with the maintainers of the Kodi DV build (fandangos, quietvoid) to help them get the FEL stability on par with Exoplayer (which is what Plex is using behind the scenes).
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Yes, this player is using the same Exoplayer backend as Plex, so you can expect that its media-playing capabilities are exactly the same.
I agree. But I am mostly getting stable Fel/ lossless audio playback on Minix / Ugoos with Fandangos build IF the file has been prepared lastly by the latest Makemkv.

If anything else has touched the file (toolnix etc) then I get resynch sand audio drops.

This player with Kodi is nearly there, but more stabability and colour space issues fixed 👍🏼
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

lexyz wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:32 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
It sure seems to affect more the scenes where FEL adds a lot to the image and I guess FEL doesn't add much to the MI scene that I compared last night because there's indeed a noticeable difference in certain scenes of the SM disc. Especially the red flower frames where it's very noticeable. But not much different on some other scenes like in the Eagle one though. lldv seem to be slightly more saturated/darker.
Minor brightness difference is fine
Seems LLDV on this device is free of bugs specific to blu-ray players and oppo clone.
The LLDV output of the Ugoos/Minix is very impressive - no banding and what looks like a very impressive chroma upsampling. Remember the Oppo and any other players that use the Mediatek chipset had very poor chroma upsampling to begin with, but either way this latest version of LLDV seems to have got it all right.
Cr4z33

Post by Cr4z33 »

I wanted to mux Zack Snyder's Justice League Dolby Vision mp4 with the Italian E-AC3 track when I found a strange issue... the English movie contains one H265 video track only... :?

How can this be?

Mediainfo still confirms it is actually a DV mp4, but I can't mux it if it doesn't contain two video tracks right?
Nvidia Shield TV Pro -> DENON AVR-X2200W -> LG OLED65GX6
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:17 pm
I agree. But I am mostly getting stable Fel/ lossless audio playback on Minix / Ugoos with Fandangos build IF the file has been prepared lastly by the latest Makemkv.
If anything else has touched the file (toolnix etc) then I get resynch sand audio drops.
This player with Kodi is nearly there, but more stabability and colour space issues fixed
I'll try the latest makemkv but on my end, from the 4 mkv movies I tried, kodi is mostly unusable at the moment . Power Rangers / Total Recall / Daughter of Darkness .. Only Doctor Sleep MEL is stable but I think I'm noticing some micro stuttering.

dysprosium wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:29 pm

Thank's for the info.

One thing I still don't understand is why bitstreaming of lossy audio also doesn't work and why 2 times, I got it to bitstream lossy eac3 atmos(profile 5 ts) and AC3 5.1 with a different movie (power rangers dv mkv). Then in both case after stopping playback , I couldn't reproduce it.