New ripper

Everything related to MakeMKV
Barrbaroy
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2026 10:17 am

New ripper

Post by Barrbaroy »

Hello. I’m looking to start my journey into converting Blu-rays but could I ask, would any Blu-ray player work for extracting media? I know I can’t with 4k but will any internal drive work with makemkv without the need to flash?
...
dcoke22
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Re: New ripper

Post by dcoke22 »

Barrbaroy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:02 am Hello. I’m looking to start my journey into converting Blu-rays but could I ask, would any Blu-ray player work for extracting media? I know I can’t with 4k but will any internal drive work with makemkv without the need to flash?
MakeMKV will work with most blu-ray capable optical drives. Without a LibreDrive compatible drive, it should work for most DVDs and blu-rays. If you're trying to rip discs from a different region, it might or might not work. If you're trying to rip a new AACS v82 blu-ray, you'll need a LibreDrive flashed drive.
SnoopyDog
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

Re: New ripper

Post by SnoopyDog »

dcoke22 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 5:56 am If you're trying to rip a new AACS v82 blu-ray, you'll need a LibreDrive flashed drive.
The answer above is not correct.
  • Version 82 is the MKB version, not the AACS version
  • MKBv82 Blu-Ray discs are also handled by MakeMKV without the need to flash LibreDrive.
About AACS versions read here
viewtopic.php?t=17498
dcoke22
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Re: New ripper

Post by dcoke22 »

I enjoy your pedantry, truly. :)

Yes, AACS 1.0 with MKB v82 is what I'm referring to. AACS 1.0 is commonly found on regular high definition blu-rays. AACS 2.0 (and less commonly AACS 2.1) is usually used on 4K UHD blu-rays.

While we're being detailed, MakeMKV, on its first screen, show a piece of data in the Drive Information section that looks like:

Code: Select all

Highest AACS version: 82
This, I believe, is referring to the MKB version, not the AACS version. Also on the first screen, after MakeMKV has read a disc, the Disc Information section will show a piece of data that looks like:

Code: Select all

Protection: AACS2.0/C v82
That is a pretty clear way to show things I think.

-=-=-=-=
As for AACS 1.0 v82 discs, as far as I'm aware they will still produce a dump and need to be handled similarly to how AACS 2.0 4K UHD discs are handled. As I understand it, that implies LibreDrive support in the drive is necessary. I'm just making an assumption though. I don't happen to have any optical drives that are not LibreDrive enabled and so can't test that case. The last comment I've seen from Mike about it is as I've described.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172232#p172232

If that's changed and AACS 1.0 v82 discs no longer require anything extra then I'm happy to be wrong. :)