New ripper
-
Barrbaroy
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2026 10:17 am
New ripper
Hello. I’m looking to start my journey into converting Blu-rays but could I ask, would any Blu-ray player work for extracting media? I know I can’t with 4k but will any internal drive work with makemkv without the need to flash?
...
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: New ripper
MakeMKV will work with most blu-ray capable optical drives. Without a LibreDrive compatible drive, it should work for most DVDs and blu-rays. If you're trying to rip discs from a different region, it might or might not work. If you're trying to rip a new AACS v82 blu-ray, you'll need a LibreDrive flashed drive.Barrbaroy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:02 am Hello. I’m looking to start my journey into converting Blu-rays but could I ask, would any Blu-ray player work for extracting media? I know I can’t with 4k but will any internal drive work with makemkv without the need to flash?
-
SnoopyDog
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am
Re: New ripper
The answer above is not correct.dcoke22 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 5:56 am If you're trying to rip a new AACS v82 blu-ray, you'll need a LibreDrive flashed drive.
- Version 82 is the MKB version, not the AACS version
- MKBv82 Blu-Ray discs are also handled by MakeMKV without the need to flash LibreDrive.
viewtopic.php?t=17498
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: New ripper
I enjoy your pedantry, truly. 
Yes, AACS 1.0 with MKB v82 is what I'm referring to. AACS 1.0 is commonly found on regular high definition blu-rays. AACS 2.0 (and less commonly AACS 2.1) is usually used on 4K UHD blu-rays.
While we're being detailed, MakeMKV, on its first screen, show a piece of data in the Drive Information section that looks like:
This, I believe, is referring to the MKB version, not the AACS version. Also on the first screen, after MakeMKV has read a disc, the Disc Information section will show a piece of data that looks like:
That is a pretty clear way to show things I think.
-=-=-=-=
As for AACS 1.0 v82 discs, as far as I'm aware they will still produce a dump and need to be handled similarly to how AACS 2.0 4K UHD discs are handled. As I understand it, that implies LibreDrive support in the drive is necessary. I'm just making an assumption though. I don't happen to have any optical drives that are not LibreDrive enabled and so can't test that case. The last comment I've seen from Mike about it is as I've described.
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172232#p172232
If that's changed and AACS 1.0 v82 discs no longer require anything extra then I'm happy to be wrong.
Yes, AACS 1.0 with MKB v82 is what I'm referring to. AACS 1.0 is commonly found on regular high definition blu-rays. AACS 2.0 (and less commonly AACS 2.1) is usually used on 4K UHD blu-rays.
While we're being detailed, MakeMKV, on its first screen, show a piece of data in the Drive Information section that looks like:
Code: Select all
Highest AACS version: 82Code: Select all
Protection: AACS2.0/C v82-=-=-=-=
As for AACS 1.0 v82 discs, as far as I'm aware they will still produce a dump and need to be handled similarly to how AACS 2.0 4K UHD discs are handled. As I understand it, that implies LibreDrive support in the drive is necessary. I'm just making an assumption though. I don't happen to have any optical drives that are not LibreDrive enabled and so can't test that case. The last comment I've seen from Mike about it is as I've described.
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172232#p172232
If that's changed and AACS 1.0 v82 discs no longer require anything extra then I'm happy to be wrong.