Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Xehelios
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2026 6:14 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Xehelios »

Sorry, but what's up with InitioMptool and BitDefender? It flags it as a virus and won't even let me download it. Is this a known issue?
Xehelios
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2026 6:14 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Xehelios »

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Flashing post.

I followed all the steps and I believe I uploaded the new firmware as instructed. You can see my screenshot of MPTool

https://cloud.civera.ca/01a0eb4e-f21a-7 ... 0742402056

However, when I try to use SDFTool Flasher, I see the drive, I select the firmware (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934), but when I press Start, nothing happens.
Billycar11
Posts: 6238
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Billycar11 »

Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:58 am Not sure if I should post this here or in the Flashing post.

I followed all the steps and I believe I uploaded the new firmware as instructed. You can see my screenshot of MPTool

https://cloud.civera.ca/01a0eb4e-f21a-7 ... 0742402056

However, when I try to use SDFTool Flasher, I see the drive, I select the firmware (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934), but when I press Start, nothing happens.
did you use enc?
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
Xehelios
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2026 6:14 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Xehelios »

Sorry, not sure what you mean. If you mean, "Did I leave encryption on?" the answer is yes. Although I tried both ways, I got the same result.

Image

And if you mean enclosure, then yes, I'm using the same USB-C enclosure.
starkiller
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2025 4:16 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by starkiller »

Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:07 am Sorry, but what's up with InitioMptool and BitDefender? It flags it as a virus and won't even let me download it. Is this a known issue?
Strange. I assume it just has something to do with the fact that it manages usb devices, and is manufacturer specific, not "publicly released" software. I would like to get away from it and move to a cross platform custom implementation but I don't have time to work on it, and I don't know how many people the scratch implementation would really service.
Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:34 am Sorry, not sure what you mean. If you mean, "Did I leave encryption on?" the answer is yes. Although I tried both ways, I got the same result.
Did you get an error code, there is some new issue with the latest version of MakeMKV and the bundled sdftool compatibility with the SDFtool GUI but u/Billycar11 can speak with more authority on that issue. I also don't know if or how BitDefender manages usb interfaces and if it may be doing some shenanigans. Once you have the updated bridge f/w there is no reason for it not to work because the bridge will passthrough the drive commands as the old firmware will have been overwritten.
Like what I do, buy me a coffee 8C96fmGxEHE7h9bUSUKQTc9CfvZgKScGBP78WHkJ7FaCdRL3HLTPiDYbKhQ8wUMvt1PXDpraPKDJdMz6F5enXbYmBrLAsPs (XMR)
zittrig
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:45 pm

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by zittrig »

Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:07 am Sorry, but what's up with InitioMptool and BitDefender? It flags it as a virus and won't even let me download it. Is this a known issue?
I have that issue sometimes also with F-Secure. Some firmware tools were blocked, some not. Handle it as an exception.
Xehelios
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2026 6:14 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Xehelios »

Don't know if it helps, but when I tried to flash on my Mac, I got the following error

Code: Select all

No drive tool logic found in SDF.bin
Internal error 0x8d000000
And yes, I played a Blu-ray as instructed. And when I used

Code: Select all

-t mtk19xx
I got

Code: Select all

Reading input file /Users/dcivera/Desktop/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Flashing flags = 0x0 : 0 0 0 0 : ---- ---- ---- ----
Sending image in encrypted format
Unable to read current bootloader version, trying to proceed without one...
Current Drive ID: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.02_212012011716_MZFP55G1934
Using USB chipset workaround for Desktop drive handshake
Ready to write drive flash memory.
Type "yes" to continue, "no" to abort
yes
Operation started: Sending flash image to drive

Write DRAM NG 00/00/00

Command produced error code 0x82000000
Billycar11
Posts: 6238
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Billycar11 »

Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 5:57 am Don't know if it helps, but when I tried to flash on my Mac, I got the following error

Code: Select all

No drive tool logic found in SDF.bin
Internal error 0x8d000000
And yes, I played a Blu-ray as instructed. And when I used

Code: Select all

-t mtk19xx
I got

Code: Select all

Reading input file /Users/dcivera/Desktop/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Flashing flags = 0x0 : 0 0 0 0 : ---- ---- ---- ----
Sending image in encrypted format
Unable to read current bootloader version, trying to proceed without one...
Current Drive ID: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.02_212012011716_MZFP55G1934
Using USB chipset workaround for Desktop drive handshake
Ready to write drive flash memory.
Type "yes" to continue, "no" to abort
yes
Operation started: Sending flash image to drive

Write DRAM NG 00/00/00

Command produced error code 0x82000000
yeah its acting like you did not flash the case chipset i would try that again
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
bplewis24
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 21, 2026 11:07 pm

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by bplewis24 »

Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:58 am Not sure if I should post this here or in the Flashing post.

I followed all the steps and I believe I uploaded the new firmware as instructed. You can see my screenshot of MPTool

https://cloud.civera.ca/01a0eb4e-f21a-7 ... 0742402056

However, when I try to use SDFTool Flasher, I see the drive, I select the firmware (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934), but when I press Start, nothing happens.
I had a similar issue my first attempt, but I realized that I never pressed "Start" after I pressed "Initialize" in the MPTool. Just something to consider.
Xehelios
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2026 6:14 am

Re: Patching The New Archgon UHD drives to allow flashing

Post by Xehelios »

Thanks, everyone. I'm really struggling with this.

I tried again on another Windows machine and got nothing.

Originally, I thought that maybe the issue was that I was using a Windows VM in Proxmox or that BitDefender was messing up the process. However, I tried on a native Windows 11 machine (No VM, No BitDefender) and still got no luck. I tried to reflash the Initio chip. I tried to flash it back to the RAMU2S firmware and then back to the INIC3639F.

The only thing that differs from the instructions is that after pressing Start, I never see "Operation Success". The drive disappears, Windows tells me that it can't see it anymore, I unplug and plug the drive back a couple of times, and I see it again.

Or, I extracted the MPTool on my Mac and then copied and paste the folder on Windows. Can't see why that would be an issue, but at this point, I'm on a fishing expedition.

Any idea is welcome at this point.