I just received this powered USB hub today based off a recommendation I came across from billycar11 in a Reddit thread and I'm still getting the same result - the drive is still refusing to read my UHD disc.MartyMcNuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2026 1:36 amMost laptop USB ports do not provide enough, consistent, constant power for an optical drive. I also don't think your hub is powerful enough. It's ok for charging and using USB sticks but I doubt it can provide enough juice for an optical drive. It "might" if the USB-C ports can be used for something other than charging. There are only a few compatible AC powered hub models that are recommended in the Ultimate UHD Drive Guide 2026.subduedcarrot wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 2:24 am Thanks for the reply - yes, I've been trying using the original USB-A y-cable. I've tried plugging it into two USB 3.0 ports on my laptop and I even tried plugging both cables into this powered USB hub and it still wouldn't read.
When I put in the UHD disc, the drive will make a click/honk/skid sound every ~6 seconds or so for about 2 minutes before stopping. During this time in MakeMKV, it will just say "Loading" until it stops and says "No disc inserted". Same thing as when I click on the drive in This PC - it will try for about 2 minutes before ejecting the disc tray.
SDFtool Flasher
-
subduedcarrot
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2026 9:44 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
-
seamus
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2025 7:13 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
It looks good! But I'd prefer to be able to do this from the MakeMKV app itself... as some here have said can be done. I've been trying to find some instructions for how to do that, but the replies I've gotten have not helped... it's almost like this is some sort of "insider secret" ?thedavidweng wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2026 5:45 amThis is my cross-platform app inspired by SDFool Flasher.seamus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2026 5:31 am Hello,
This question may have already been answered - but I couldn't find it! Is there a version of the SDF tool that runs on macOS (Sequoia)??
If not - are there any recommendations for a firmware upgrade for my BRXL-16U3 (Buffalo)?
FWIW: This is a fairly recent model, bought new in 2025.
Thanks,
~S
It's not tested by anyone else so use it at your own risk, but the app is honestly just a wrapper for sdftool/makemkvcon very simple.
https://github.com/thedavidweng/sdf-flash-gui
~S
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4592
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
MakeMKV has command line functionality that can be used to flash LG based drives. The SDFtool is a Windows application that provides a Windows GUI interface to that command line functionality. The app thedavidweng pointed to appears to be a Mac application that provides a GUI interface to the command line flashing functionality of MakeMKV just like SDFtool. (I haven't used that app so can't vouch for it.) If you prefer, you can use the command line functions directly. The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has instructions on how to do so.seamus wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2026 3:11 am It looks good! But I'd prefer to be able to do this from the MakeMKV app itself... as some here have said can be done. I've been trying to find some instructions for how to do that, but the replies I've gotten have not helped... it's almost like this is some sort of "insider secret" ?
~S
There is no GUI flashing interface built into MakeMKV directly.
-
JoaquinBusteloJr
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2026 5:57 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
I'm also trying to use this flasher, and it's loading in a bizarre aspect ratio where I can't hardly see the drop down options. Is anyone else having this issue?
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4592
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Near the top of the very first post in this thread is this note that might help you:JoaquinBusteloJr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2026 6:00 pm I'm also trying to use this flasher, and it's loading in a bizarre aspect ratio where I can't hardly see the drop down options. Is anyone else having this issue?
NOTE: If the GUI looks a bit deformed (happens on a 4k monitor), you can right click the exe and select properties. In the compatibility tab, click "Change high DPI settings" then under "High DPI scaling override" tick the box and select "System (Enhanced)" in the dropbox.
-
seamus
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2025 7:13 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
I have an Asus drive, and a Buffalo drive. They are both connected to my Mac - I do not have a Windows machine. I've ripped DVDs on both drives, BDs on the Asus (and maybe on the Buffalo). I favor the Asus drive because it's faster than the Buffalo. The "specs" on both drives as displayed in MakeMKV are provided below... Note that the Buffalo drive says that Libre drive is "Possible, not yet enabled". But I do not recall doing anything to enable the Asus drive! I guessed that this happened "automatically"??dcoke22 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2026 4:22 amMakeMKV has command line functionality that can be used to flash LG based drives. The SDFtool is a Windows application that provides a Windows GUI interface to that command line functionality. The app thedavidweng pointed to appears to be a Mac application that provides a GUI interface to the command line flashing functionality of MakeMKV just like SDFtool. (I haven't used that app so can't vouch for it.) If you prefer, you can use the command line functions directly. The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has instructions on how to do so.seamus wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2026 3:11 am It looks good! But I'd prefer to be able to do this from the MakeMKV app itself... as some here have said can be done. I've been trying to find some instructions for how to do that, but the replies I've gotten have not helped... it's almost like this is some sort of "insider secret" ?
~S
There is no GUI flashing interface built into MakeMKV directly.
I have read the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide" at least 3 times now, and I must be dumb or blind b/c I can see no explicit instructions for "enabling" Libre drive. I have also failed to find explicit instructions re what must be done to enable (one or both) of my drives to copy 4K (UHD?) discs. If you could take a moment to point out what I have missed, I would really appreciate it. Hopefully - I can enable one or both drives to copy 4K/UHD without having to use "external" software - but if that's necessary, I think I can manage it - once I know what it is I am supposed to do.
Many, many thanks!
~S
Asus:
Code: Select all
Drive Information
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1X-U
Revision: E113
Serial number: DIDL123365WL
Firmware date: 2020-07-21
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 82
LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: RS8F00
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-212T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: E113/ID76
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Code: Select all
Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH16NS58
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: KX1OA8I3438
Firmware date: 2120-05-08 09:33
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 82
LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible, not yet enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6263
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
seamus wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2026 3:51 am
I have an Asus drive, and a Buffalo drive. They are both connected to my Mac - I do not have a Windows machine. I've ripped DVDs on both drives, BDs on the Asus (and maybe on the Buffalo). I favor the Asus drive because it's faster than the Buffalo. The "specs" on both drives as displayed in MakeMKV are provided below... Note that the Buffalo drive says that Libre drive is "Possible, not yet enabled". But I do not recall doing anything to enable the Asus drive! I guessed that this happened "automatically"??
I have read the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide" at least 3 times now, and I must be dumb or blind b/c I can see no explicit instructions for "enabling" Libre drive. I have also failed to find explicit instructions re what must be done to enable (one or both) of my drives to copy 4K (UHD?) discs. If you could take a moment to point out what I have missed, I would really appreciate it. Hopefully - I can enable one or both drives to copy 4K/UHD without having to use "external" software - but if that's necessary, I think I can manage it - once I know what it is I am supposed to do.
Many, many thanks!
~S
Asus:Buffalo:Code: Select all
Drive Information Manufacturer: ASUS Product: BW-16D1X-U Revision: E113 Serial number: DIDL123365WL Firmware date: 2020-07-21 Bus encryption flags: 1B Highest AACS version: 82 LibreDrive Information Status: Enabled Drive platform: RS8F00 Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-212T Firmware type: Original (unpatched) Firmware version: E113/ID76 DVD all regions: Yes BD raw data read: Yes BD raw metadata read: Yes Unrestricted read speed: YesCode: Select all
Drive Information Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST Product: BD-RE BH16NS58 Revision: 1.03 Serial number: KX1OA8I3438 Firmware date: 2120-05-08 09:33 Bus encryption flags: 1F Highest AACS version: 82 LibreDrive Information Status: Possible, not yet enabled Drive platform: MT1959
the asus you need external help see email below for that as its a pioneer
the buffalo is a LG and can be done by following the guide flow chart and sdf tool for wh16ns40/60
or you can email me or marty for an auto flasher for the lg too
Last edited by Billycar11 on Sun Jun 28, 2026 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
-
seamus
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2025 7:13 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Billycar11 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2026 6:39 amI have an Asus drive, and a Buffalo drive. They are both connected to my Mac - I do not have a Windows machine. I've ripped DVDs on both drives, BDs on the Asus (and maybe on the Buffalo). I favor the Asus drive because it's faster than the Buffalo. The "specs" on both drives as displayed in MakeMKV are provided below... Note that the Buffalo drive says that Libre drive is "Possible, not yet enabled". But I do not recall doing anything to enable the Asus drive! I guessed that this happened "automatically"??seamus wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2026 3:51 am
MakeMKV has command line functionality that can be used to flash LG based drives. The SDFtool is a Windows application that provides a Windows GUI interface to that command line functionality. The app thedavidweng pointed to appears to be a Mac application that provides a GUI interface to the command line flashing functionality of MakeMKV just like SDFtool. (I haven't used that app so can't vouch for it.) If you prefer, you can use the command line functions directly. The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has instructions on how to do so.
There is no GUI flashing interface built into MakeMKV directly.
I have read the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide" at least 3 times now, and I must be dumb or blind b/c I can see no explicit instructions for "enabling" Libre drive. I have also failed to find explicit instructions re what must be done to enable (one or both) of my drives to copy 4K (UHD?) discs. If you could take a moment to point out what I have missed, I would really appreciate it. Hopefully - I can enable one or both drives to copy 4K/UHD without having to use "external" software - but if that's necessary, I think I can manage it - once I know what it is I am supposed to do.
Many, many thanks!
~S
Asus:Buffalo:Code: Select all
Drive Information Manufacturer: ASUS Product: BW-16D1X-U Revision: E113 Serial number: DIDL123365WL Firmware date: 2020-07-21 Bus encryption flags: 1B Highest AACS version: 82 LibreDrive Information Status: Enabled Drive platform: RS8F00 Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-212T Firmware type: Original (unpatched) Firmware version: E113/ID76 DVD all regions: Yes BD raw data read: Yes BD raw metadata read: Yes Unrestricted read speed: YesCode: Select all
Drive Information Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST Product: BD-RE BH16NS58 Revision: 1.03 Serial number: KX1OA8I3438 Firmware date: 2120-05-08 09:33 Bus encryption flags: 1F Highest AACS version: 82 LibreDrive Information Status: Possible, not yet enabled Drive platform: MT1959
the asus you need external help see email below for that as its a pioneer
the buffalo is a LG and can be done by following the guide flow chart and sdf tool for wh16ns40/60
or you can email me or marty for an auto flasher for the lg too
[/quote]
Billy,
That is some pretty messy quoting
~S
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5095
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
seamus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2026 12:44 amBillycar11 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2026 6:39 amI have an Asus drive, and a Buffalo drive. They are both connected to my Mac - I do not have a Windows machine. I've ripped DVDs on both drives, BDs on the Asus (and maybe on the Buffalo). I favor the Asus drive because it's faster than the Buffalo. The "specs" on both drives as displayed in MakeMKV are provided below... Note that the Buffalo drive says that Libre drive is "Possible, not yet enabled". But I do not recall doing anything to enable the Asus drive! I guessed that this happened "automatically"??seamus wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2026 3:51 am
MakeMKV has command line functionality that can be used to flash LG based drives. The SDFtool is a Windows application that provides a Windows GUI interface to that command line functionality. The app thedavidweng pointed to appears to be a Mac application that provides a GUI interface to the command line flashing functionality of MakeMKV just like SDFtool. (I haven't used that app so can't vouch for it.) If you prefer, you can use the command line functions directly. The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has instructions on how to do so.
There is no GUI flashing interface built into MakeMKV directly.
I have read the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide" at least 3 times now, and I must be dumb or blind b/c I can see no explicit instructions for "enabling" Libre drive. I have also failed to find explicit instructions re what must be done to enable (one or both) of my drives to copy 4K (UHD?) discs. If you could take a moment to point out what I have missed, I would really appreciate it. Hopefully - I can enable one or both drives to copy 4K/UHD without having to use "external" software - but if that's necessary, I think I can manage it - once I know what it is I am supposed to do.
Many, many thanks!
~S
Asus:Buffalo:Code: Select all
Drive Information Manufacturer: ASUS Product: BW-16D1X-U Revision: E113 Serial number: DIDL123365WL Firmware date: 2020-07-21 Bus encryption flags: 1B Highest AACS version: 82 LibreDrive Information Status: Enabled Drive platform: RS8F00 Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-212T Firmware type: Original (unpatched) Firmware version: E113/ID76 DVD all regions: Yes BD raw data read: Yes BD raw metadata read: Yes Unrestricted read speed: YesCode: Select all
Drive Information Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST Product: BD-RE BH16NS58 Revision: 1.03 Serial number: KX1OA8I3438 Firmware date: 2120-05-08 09:33 Bus encryption flags: 1F Highest AACS version: 82 LibreDrive Information Status: Possible, not yet enabled Drive platform: MT1959
the asus you need external help see email below for that as its a pioneer
the buffalo is a LG and can be done by following the guide flow chart and sdf tool for wh16ns40/60
or you can email me or marty for an auto flasher for the lg too
Billy,
That is some pretty messy quoting
~S
[/quote]
Your ASUS actually contains a Pioneer BDR-212 drive inside. There is no publicly available flasher for Pioneer drives. Billy can sell you a flasher for this drive if you want to be able to rip UHD discs with it. If not, you can leave it as is.
Your Buffalo contains a LG drive inside which can be flashed using SDFtool Flasher on windows or via the command line on Linux/Mac. The Ultimate UHD Drive Guide 2026 (first post) contains CLI instructions. The recommended firmware for this drive is WH16NS60 1.02-MK.
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6263
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
take a break from belittling the people trying to help youseamus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2026 12:44 am Billy,
That is some pretty messy quotingI appreciate your trying to help, but frankly I don't think it's working. FWIW, it seems to me you're not interested in giving "readable" instructions, but prefer to sell me something... and I cannot for the life of me understand whether or not I need it. Maybe take a break? I was hoping to get an answer to my question from 'dcoke22', but maybe that's not going to happen now.
~S
the guide has clear readable instructions with flow charts of what fw to flash and cli examples for people on linux
im not going to post the whole guide here for you will just complain its messy anyway i pointed you to it from my sig
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
-
seamus
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2025 7:13 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
No one is "belittling" you, but again, frankly... you are not helping! If you want to be offended, OK, go ahead - but I see no point in mincing words. I'm only trying to be clear. And I don't feel there's any point debating how "readable" the guide is... I can only say again that when I read it - I do not get it!Billycar11 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2026 12:35 pmtake a break from belittling the people trying to help youseamus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2026 12:44 am Billy,
That is some pretty messy quotingI appreciate your trying to help, but frankly I don't think it's working. FWIW, it seems to me you're not interested in giving "readable" instructions, but prefer to sell me something... and I cannot for the life of me understand whether or not I need it. Maybe take a break? I was hoping to get an answer to my question from 'dcoke22', but maybe that's not going to happen now.
~S
the guide has clear readable instructions with flow charts of what fw to flash and cli examples for people on linux
im not going to post the whole guide here for you will just complain its messy anyway i pointed you to it from my sig
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6263
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
hundreds of thousands of people have flashed their drives and been helped with the guide its fine.seamus wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2026 8:30 am No one is "belittling" you, but again, frankly... you are not helping! If you want to be offended, OK, go ahead - but I see no point in mincing words. I'm only trying to be clear. And I don't feel there's any point debating how "readable" the guide is... I can only say again that when I read it - I do not get it!
if you can do it better make one
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
-
seamus
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2025 7:13 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
@thedavidweng:thedavidweng wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2026 5:45 amThis is my cross-platform app inspired by SDFool Flasher.seamus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2026 5:31 am
This question may have already been answered - but I couldn't find it! Is there a version of the SDF tool that runs on macOS (Sequoia)??
It's not tested by anyone else so use it at your own risk, but the app is honestly just a wrapper for sdftool/makemkvcon very simple.
https://github.com/thedavidweng/sdf-flash-gui
I've been to your GitHub site & read through that - a couple of questions:
1. IIUC, I do not actually need "Homebrew" to install your tool - I can go to the "Releases" page, and download the .dmg file for my "architecture" (ARM or Intel) - is that correct?
2. Does the .dmg file contain *everything* that's needed to flash a drive? IOW, does it include the optical drive firmware, and the software app to apply it? Does it require that any other software/firmware be installed to use it - in other words, MakeMKV or SDFtool or firmware blobs, or ...?? Anything?
-
seamus
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2025 7:13 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
If I could "do it better", do you actually believe I'd be here asking these questions?Billycar11 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2026 8:38 amhundreds of thousands of people have flashed their drives and been helped with the guide its fine.seamus wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2026 8:30 am No one is "belittling" you, but again, frankly... you are not helping! If you want to be offended, OK, go ahead - but I see no point in mincing words. I'm only trying to be clear. And I don't feel there's any point debating how "readable" the guide is... I can only say again that when I read it - I do not get it!
if you can do it better make one
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6263
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
lets stop cluttering martys thread hereseamus wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2026 9:17 am
If I could "do it better", do you actually believe I'd be here asking these questions?
but if you cant do it better then dont complain
just ask your questions and move on not say the guide is not readable and all that
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments