Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
morbius

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by morbius »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:27 am
Before I noticed the missing subtitles, I was able to build a remux with the TrueHD track by re-clocking the Italian video fps to 23.976 in mkvtoolnix
You have to change the EL framerate too and not just with the container using mkvtoolnix. You have to write a new bitstream framerate(9-2) for both layers and then build a new P7 ST-DL mkv (4-2).
But then I noticed the missing subtitles, which feature heavily in the JW films.
english subtitles for the Italian BD: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
So now I'm thinking about how I can transfer the DV layer from my 23.976 re-clocked Italian video to the corresponding video in the UK release
No, you can't do that.
Thanks for the detailed advice. I pushed JW2 through the 9-2 workflow and got a single .hevc file. The 4-2 workflow requests two input files, has something gone wrong? What does the 9-2 do to the biststream DTS-HD track - does that get fixed, or do I still need to replace with an audio track pre-sync'd to 23.976 video?

The link to subtitles is labelled as 23.976. As my UK Atmos release has an extra second of blank-screen time at the start, I guess I'll have to snip that off to preserve subtitle and audio sync, rather than offset the converted video with a delay. Clearly there's a lot to do to achieve the best-possible version of JW2 and JW1, and it requires forgoing the nice graphic-art stylised subtitles that the English language versions have.

I received the Italian JW1 disc today and notice it's 23.976, so is JW2 mis-authored at 24.0? I'm assuming that 23.976 is the reference, i.e. Italian JW2 has a small speed up, rather than the UK release having a small slow down. Looks like the Italian JW1 also has 1 second less of black screen at the start than the UK version, but at least the framerate matches the UK version.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I pushed JW2 through the 9-2 workflow and got a single .hevc file. The 4-2 workflow requests two input files, has something gone wrong?
if you rip to a BDMV/ISO, just demux the layers with tsmuxer and change the framerate of each stream with DS.
if you rip to MKV, you have to demux the layers. Workflow 1 and select R (remove) and change the framerate of each stream with DS.
then make a new ST-DL in 4-2
What does the 9-2 do to the biststream DTS-HD track - does that get fixed,
nothing and the point of changing the framerate is to get the TrueHD track so the original 24fps DTS track is now useless.
The link to subtitles is labelled as 23.976. As my UK Atmos release has an extra second of blank-screen time at the start, I guess I'll have to snip that off to preserve subtitle and audio sync,
the subs I linked are for the slowed down Italian bluray so once you change the videos framerate to 23.976, they will fit.

I received the Italian JW1 disc today
subs for the Italian BD JW1:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... hC2TOamMyS
morbius

Post by morbius »

thanks for your patience. I rip to mkv, I successfully demuxed to two hevc files and fixed their framerates and then combined. I now have a ST-DL hevc file. Looking for a work flow to convert this to mkv, I've looked through the options but can't find it?

(I tried the mkv batch muxer but on hitting return after dropping in the file it immediately reports completion without having done anything).
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

you mux the new ST hevc file and audio/subs with mkvtoolnix. No script is required for that.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html
morbius

Post by morbius »

thanks, I use mkvtoolnix all the time, didn't realise it could read hevc files.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:58 am
Also you have to use the P5 webdl and not the P8 version as your picture shows.
Oops I used P8 version with The Marvels...

Why do we need to use P5 instead of P8?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Because the DV source is the P5 webdl and sometimes the studios decide to deliver a different version for the HDR10 stream. Marvel's Black Widow is one of those IIRC.
ColonelBlimp043

Post by ColonelBlimp043 »

I am in the process of generating RPUs for some of my UHD HDR10 rips with 3-1. Pardon if this has already been asked before, but is there a recommended procedure for setting the L5 offsets on films with variable aspect ratios (i.e. Nolan IMAX UHD). Should I set the L5 offsets at 0 to accommodate the 1.78:1 IMAX scenes, or is it recommended to use the appropriate widescreen offsets, since those scenes make up the majority of the runtime?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ColonelBlimp043 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:23 am
Should I set the L5 offsets at 0 to accommodate the 1.78:1 IMAX scenes
yes 0, otherwise if you watch on a device that uses L5 (tv internal player), there will be a letterbox for the Imax shots.
morbius

Post by morbius »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:53 pm
I'm using the values provided by MediaInfo, is that correct?
yes
One point in this workflow that does not have an automatic option is the prompt for the Mastering Display choice
it's because I prefer selecting MDL based on the content's actual brightness.
So, after what proved to be an educational journey, I now have John Wick 2 in DV7 FEL with TrueHD audio and the forced subs. When doing the final mux I set a delay of 1001ms on the video and the forced subs, and I have perfect audio sync with the video. The result is well worth the effort! JW1 will be much easier.

In the quote above, I asked about the 3-1 workflow for converting HDR10. Can you expand on selecting MDL based on content actual brightness? I guess there is a workflow for identifying the content brightness, and based on that I pick from one of the fixed 1000/2000/4000 options?
morbius

Post by morbius »

I received the Italian JW1 disc today
subs for the Italian BD JW1:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... hC2TOamMyS
thanks for the link. The JW1 subs are extremely dark. I tried to fix that using the 9-5 workflow with the .bat file changed to set the brightness adjustment to 150%, but it didn't help. Any other method for fxing that?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

morbius wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:25 pm
Any other method for fxing that?
I don't know, convert to SRT.

https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit
Can you expand on selecting MDL based on content actual brightness? I guess there is a workflow for identifying the content brightness, and based on that I pick from one of the fixed 1000/2000/4000 options?
I measure brightness with 6-2 and select MDL accordingly.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:39 am
Because the DV source is the P5 webdl and sometimes the studios decide to deliver a different version for the HDR10 stream. Marvel's Black Widow is one of those IIRC.
Ok so we need to use P5 webdl to transfer DV to HDR10 bluray.

If the bluray already has DV and we just want to transfer cmv4.0 bloc to bluray, can we use P8 webdl or do we have to use P5 as well? Quite hard to find P5 webdl online.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

we just want to transfer cmv4.0 bloc to bluray
what matters is the metadata only. hdr10 brightness doesn't matter
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:14 am
we just want to transfer cmv4.0 bloc to bluray
what matters is the metadata only. hdr10 brightness doesn't matter
In case I can't find the P5 webdl online to do the DV tranfer to HDR10 bluray, can I use the .bin files in your RPU folder? I just checked one and they were P8, not P5?