Asus BW-16D1HT for makemkv,dvdfab

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
crab24

Asus BW-16D1HT for makemkv,dvdfab

Post by crab24 »

Hello everyone, I'm new here, I need advice so that it goes well without complications, I have two new Asus bw-16d1ht drives with ofw: 3.11, I would like to have one compatible with makemkv and the other with DVDFab:
1) the procedure for makemkv I think is clear to me (?) - flash SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 directly to 3.10MK and what about the read FW option for encrypted drives, no backup file will be created from ofw 3.11 -> is there any way to do backup of that ofw: 3.11 ?
2) And how should I proceed with the second one for DVDFab? (on their website they say that the program is compatible with FW: 3.00)
MartyMcNuts

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT for makemkv,dvdfab

Post by MartyMcNuts »

crab24 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:33 pm
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I need advice so that it goes well without complications, I have two new Asus bw-16d1ht drives with ofw: 3.11, I would like to have one compatible with makemkv and the other with DVDFab:
1) the procedure for makemkv I think is clear to me (?) - flash SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 directly to 3.10MK and what about the read FW option for encrypted drives, no backup file will be created from ofw 3.11 -> is there any way to do backup of that ofw: 3.11 ?
2) And how should I proceed with the second one for DVDFab? (on their website they say that the program is compatible with FW: 3.00)
1. No way to back up 3.11 firmware.
2. Asus 3.02 is compatible with DVDFab.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
crab24

Post by crab24 »

ok thanks for your help
- what is the purpose of the file that is saved during "read firmware" but has the extension .tar?
-the procedure for the second drive compatible with dvdfab would therefore be: flash SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 directly to 3.10MK and then directly to 3.02 ?
- there is no Asus firmware 3.02 in the All You Need Firmware Pack folder, can you please direct me to the download so that it is correct and in order?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

crab24 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:28 am
- there is no Asus firmware 3.02 in the All You Need Firmware Pack folder, can you please direct me to the download so that it is correct and in order?
MartyMcNuts will have the best answer, but I think you can download an ASUS BW-16D1HT from here: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70282#p70282
crab24

Post by crab24 »

Thanks for the reply, while approving a post (= that's the biggest pain, it takes a long time but otherwise great forum) I came across the same thread - I'd appreciate it if MartyMcNuts could confirm and advise on the other points from the previous post
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

crab24 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:28 am
ok thanks for your help
- what is the purpose of the file that is saved during "read firmware" but has the extension .tar?
-the procedure for the second drive compatible with dvdfab would therefore be: flash SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 directly to 3.10MK and then directly to 3.02 ?
My firmware pack does contain Asus 3.02. viewtopic.php?p=94848#p94848

The saved .tar file from READ only contains the important bits of the firmware such as cal data.

Yes, second drive procedure is correct.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
crab24

Post by crab24 »

Ok, thanks for the clarification, confirming the procedures for both drives and the link to fw 3.02

1) - for interest, the fw 3.02 ( viewtopic.php?p=94848#p94848 ) is the same one that dcoke22 gave a link to in your post: viewtopic.php?p=70282 #p70282 (?)

2) - if it is not possible to back up ofw 3.11, does the SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 contain any protection if something goes wrong so that the mechanism remains functional and does not result in a paperweight? (I am worried that it is not possible to back up ofw and I do not know how I would proceed if a problem arose, and in addition, adding a post with a question takes a long time due to approval)

3) - I am considering whether to use a usb/sata converter or directly sata on the motherboard, if I chose sata on the motherboard I would do it on a PC with a MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI motherboard and I don't know if there could be some problem due to the chip that serves the sata controller (?), if I were to choose the usb/sata option, the most easily available here is probably this one: Icy Box IB-525-U3 but I don't know if it is capable of writing fw, I have one converter at home: SCYTHE SCUPS-2000 Kama Connect 2 (already I will be about 13 years old and if I remember correctly, I used it to flash in a DVD drive LiteOn iHAS 124 rev. MB or sata/usb to verify that SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 sees the drive, or rather that it is possible to read the .tar file, or in some way other than starting the write itself so that it works the first time?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

crab24 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 3:33 am
Ok, thanks for the clarification, confirming the procedures for both drives and the link to fw 3.02

1) - for interest, the fw 3.02 ( viewtopic.php?p=94848#p94848 ) is the same one that dcoke22 gave a link to in your post: viewtopic.php?p=70282 #p70282 (?)

2) - if it is not possible to back up ofw 3.11, does the SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 contain any protection if something goes wrong so that the mechanism remains functional and does not result in a paperweight? (I am worried that it is not possible to back up ofw and I do not know how I would proceed if a problem arose, and in addition, adding a post with a question takes a long time due to approval)

3) - I am considering whether to use a usb/sata converter or directly sata on the motherboard, if I chose sata on the motherboard I would do it on a PC with a MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI motherboard and I don't know if there could be some problem due to the chip that serves the sata controller (?), if I were to choose the usb/sata option, the most easily available here is probably this one: Icy Box IB-525-U3 but I don't know if it is capable of writing fw, I have one converter at home: SCYTHE SCUPS-2000 Kama Connect 2 (already I will be about 13 years old and if I remember correctly, I used it to flash in a DVD drive LiteOn iHAS 124 rev. MB or sata/usb to verify that SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5 sees the drive, or rather that it is possible to read the .tar file, or in some way other than starting the write itself so that it works the first time?
1. the link dcoke22 gave you is for an old ASUS 3.02 flasher that isn't used anymore but the firmware inside it is exactly the same as the firmware that's in the pack in the link I provided.

2. It's pretty hard to mess up the drive. just make sure you have the correct firmware selected before starting the flash.

3. There is a SATA controller that may cause issues. I can't remember which one though. For SATA to USB powered adapters that are known to work, check the UHD drive guide: viewtopic.php?p=74718#p74718
crab24

Post by crab24 »

Ok, thanks for the replies, I still have to read and decide about the PC connection but otherwise I should be good to go, I still have more questions:

1) - maybe a stupid question, but I'd rather ask, if I decided over time that I don't use dvdfab much and I want to give the drive to someone in the family, can I go directly from FW 3.02 back to FW 3.10MK so that it works again with makemkv?

2) - to keep it in one thread, I'll ask a colleague from work right away, he would also like to do UHD via makemkv, but he has an Asus BC-12D2HT with FW 3.12, it would have to be done the same way as mine but directly on the BC-12D2HT FW 3.11MK?

3) - and then how would it be if a colleague was interested in compatibility with dvdfab (on their website they state that this drive is compatible with FW 3.00), is there also a modified FW for it something like the 3.02 for BW-16D1HT?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

crab24 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 3:44 pm
Ok, thanks for the replies, I still have to read and decide about the PC connection but otherwise I should be good to go, I still have more questions:

1) - maybe a stupid question, but I'd rather ask, if I decided over time that I don't use dvdfab much and I want to give the drive to someone in the family, can I go directly from FW 3.02 back to FW 3.10MK so that it works again with makemkv?

2) - to keep it in one thread, I'll ask a colleague from work right away, he would also like to do UHD via makemkv, but he has an Asus BC-12D2HT with FW 3.12, it would have to be done the same way as mine but directly on the BC-12D2HT FW 3.11MK?

3) - and then how would it be if a colleague was interested in compatibility with dvdfab (on their website they state that this drive is compatible with FW 3.00), is there also a modified FW for it something like the 3.02 for BW-16D1HT?
1. 3.02 is compatible with all popular ripping software including MakeMKV and DVDFab. No need to change it but can be flashed again to 3.10-MK if you want.

2. Yes, flash directly to 3.11-MK.

3. Although it can be cross-flashed, I do not recommend cross-flashing this particular model. I've heard of many people having multiple issues with the drive when cross-flashed and can be difficult to flash back to BC-12D2HT firmware. To put it simply, I don't recommend using this model with DVDFab.

I'm not sure if we have 3.00 firmware available for this drive. Check for yourself in the firmware packs.
crab24

Post by crab24 »

Hi, thanks again for the information and help, I'm finally on board and everything went smoothly, 3.10MK works without a problem, I was also curious about the compatibility with dvdfab so I put 3.02 and it also works without a problem with makemkv but I don't know why does not work with dvdfab - everything goes well, I see information that the protection has been removed, everything is set and I confirm the start, it takes almost 6 minutes, but the processing does not move at all from the beginning (when I need, for example, to reduce the size of an already finished mkv so that it can be made into a Blu-Ray so it works well, the described problem is when I need to process from the original), do I need to set something else somewhere?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

crab24 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:46 am
Hi, thanks again for the information and help, I'm finally on board and everything went smoothly, 3.10MK works without a problem, I was also curious about the compatibility with dvdfab so I put 3.02 and it also works without a problem with makemkv but I don't know why does not work with dvdfab - everything goes well, I see information that the protection has been removed, everything is set and I confirm the start, it takes almost 6 minutes, but the processing does not move at all from the beginning (when I need, for example, to reduce the size of an already finished mkv so that it can be made into a Blu-Ray so it works well, the described problem is when I need to process from the original), do I need to set something else somewhere?
No, that's just the DVDFab garbage. 3.02 works then they provide a version update and it stops working. It happens often. It may not be compatible anymore, I couldn't say as I haven't used that software in years.
tommik128

Post by tommik128 »

Regarding DVDFab, I remember it produced a very questionable DVD backup for me, which MakeMKV did not like at all. Since then I do not trust that software anymore.