Pirates of the Caribbean Audio Codec Error

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jimmyboy0727

Pirates of the Caribbean Audio Codec Error

Post by jimmyboy0727 »

I have ripped the disc, with no problems until I try to play it. I get that my machine can not playback the audio codec. Makes no sense, but all the Pirate movies are the same way. No sound, error with codec. Can I change this, or do anything at all so I can enjoy the movie? I have tried multiple devices to eliminate the thought it was a bad machine to play on.
Woodstock

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Audio Codec Error

Post by Woodstock »

What are you trying to play it with?

What did MakeMKV report for the encoding on the various tracks within the title?

You can optionally have MakeMKV change some audio encodings to be more compatible with various players. Or you can use tools like handbrake to reencode the files to match your player's capabilities.

A number of free players have been forced to remove AC3 decoding (found on most DVDs and some BDs) on Apple and Android platforms, due to licensing issues. VLC still has it on Windows, Linux, and OS X, but not on iOS and Android.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jimmyboy0727

Post by jimmyboy0727 »

I've backed-up all my blu rays to a hard drive system to save on space. Everything else works just fine on my plug and play Samsung tv / blu ray player via usb connection.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

However, that doesn't say what the current encoding is. And, given your description so far, it's not going to be something that MakeMKV can "fix" for you, at least not without changes. Using the "backup" feature of MakeMKV does not allow you to convert audio encoding, or even rearrange the track order to better suit your playback device.

You MAY be able to change which audio track to use, using the audio menu on the Samsung. It may be that the default is something the Samsung wants to route to an external sound system... but it can't.

If you ripped to MKV files, you would definitely be able to select which tracks to extract, or even re-order the tracks to make the default track something compatible with your system. Tools like handbrake are far more capable of changing encodings than MakeMKV is by itself.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging