LG BP55EB40 v1.20 - Cannot flash as it's not MT1959?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Parallax Abstraction
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:22 pm

LG BP55EB40 v1.20 - Cannot flash as it's not MT1959?

Post by Parallax Abstraction »

Hey all.

I just acquired a new LG BP55EB40 Svc EB52 that I wanted to flash with LibreDrive. I followed the process in the first post (including installing MakeMKV 1.18.4 instead of 2.0) but SDFTool Flasher 1.3.6 is saying this drive can't be flashed because it's not an MT1959 platform device. I'm a bit confused as it is an EB52 SVC Code drive but I also noticed it shows as Revision 1.20 in MakeMKV and it was also manufactured in May of 2026 so I'm wondering if this is a new variant that suddenly can't be flashed. I hope not. I've done some looking around and can't find anything about this drive revision at all really, much less it being compatible or not with LibreDrive.

Here's the drive info:

OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP55EB40
Revision: 1.20
Serial number: <Redacted>
Bus encryption flags: 1B

Anyone seen this? Thanks!
OneDay
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:01 am

Re: LG BP55EB40 v1.20 - Cannot flash as it's not MT1959?

Post by OneDay »

Check this post viewtopic.php?t=42497
This might be your problem
Parallax Abstraction
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:22 pm

Re: LG BP55EB40 v1.20 - Cannot flash as it's not MT1959?

Post by Parallax Abstraction »

I saw that thread and dismissed it because his drive info from MakeMKV was different than mine but re-reading it, yeah, that might be it. Ugh, I hope not. This drive came with all the packaging and looked legit but was also sold as "open box". The seller has good reviews though. I'll try to crack it open tonight and see what I can find. Mine, I hope it's not counterfeit. :(
Parallax Abstraction
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:22 pm

Re: LG BP55EB40 v1.20 - Cannot flash as it's not MT1959?

Post by Parallax Abstraction »

OneDay wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:02 pm Check this post viewtopic.php?t=42497
This might be your problem
You were right. The drive actually in the enclosure is a Panasonic UJ262 manufactured in March, 2013. I guess they flashed firmware on it to display different values.

This seller has a stellar reputation on eBay too but yeah, clearly a scam. I'll be returning it. What a big pile of suck. :(