Question on BU40n firmware version

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
mikej
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:19 pm

Question on BU40n firmware version

Post by mikej »

Hi,

I'm following the guide and I got the the part to find the drive identifier, but what I got back doesn't look like it shows in the guide. What returned in terminal is below. Is this drive able to be flashed? I got it from Amazon just today. Thanks!

Found 1 drives(s)
00: /IOBDServices/68733D6D
HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_FR07_211801221536_903HS009054

Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: FR07
Serial number: 903HS009054
Firmware date: 2118-01-22 15:36
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: Question on BU40n firmware version

Post by Sayaka »

Hello,

The drive platform should be MT1959. The FR07 firmware, as far as I know, is LibreDrive-enabled but not UHD-compatible. You need to flash the drive to DE_LG_BU40N_1.03_MK or DE_LG_BU40N_1.00 without encryption (so just a rawflash main, basically). DE_LG_BU40N_1.03_MK has better compatibility with some discs, supposedly. If you need further help for the flashing process, please let us know. :)
mikej
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:19 pm

Re: Question on BU40n firmware version

Post by mikej »

Thank you, i left this part out:

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible (with patched firmware)
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 0.FR07J
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

I am following the guide and this is the firmware I was going to use - DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin’
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: Question on BU40n firmware version

Post by Sayaka »

Either is fine, really. DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin is more recommended for Linux (due to potential compatibility issues with 1.03-MK) or Windows (for additional compatibility with ripping software that's neither MakeMKV nor Xreveal), but even on Mac, I believe it is still one of the "top firmwares" out there (and I can confirm that - I have yet to find a disc it cannot read at all). If you ever run into a very troublesome disc, you can always try flashing to 1.03-MK.

EDIT : Hmm, your current firmware doesn't seem to be LibreDrive-compatible. Your drive is definitely worth flashing, especially if you plan on ripping UHDs.
mikej
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:19 pm

Re: Question on BU40n firmware version

Post by mikej »

So i couldnt get the flash to work via command line so i used the windows sdf flasher tool. It came back successful, but it just ejects my Tron UHD after a minute or two of searching. Not sure if its the disc or i put the wrong firmware on there. Thanks for helping!

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk6
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: 903HS009054
Firmware date: 2118-10-24 19:34
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes