X-Men - The Last Stand (2006) Audio Track Selection

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
kncowans

X-Men - The Last Stand (2006) Audio Track Selection

Post by kncowans »

Hello all

I am being stumped by One Blu-ray, X-Men - The Last Stand (2006).

When I Open the Disc in MakeMKV, under Audio I see:
20241023_191018.jpg
20241023_191018.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 84 times
I do not have a Surround Back Speaker so I do not want the 6.1 Track, however, no matter what I do, I always get the 6.1 Track in the resulting File regardless of what I Check.

Is there a way to only have the 5.1 Track in the File or at least set the 5.1 Track as the Default?

Thanks in advance

Kevin
dcoke22

Re: X-Men - The Last Stand (2006) Audio Track Selection

Post by dcoke22 »

DTS-HD MA is a lossless multichannel audio format that has a notion of a 'lossy' core (the regular DTS track) built into it so if a system can't decode the DTS-HD MA track, it can find and use the more widely support regular DTS track. MakeMKV can make a copy of that lossy core and put it into its own track in the resulting .mkv file. That's why the DTS track is indented from the DTS-HD MA track in the MakeMKV GUI. Dolby TrueHD and regular Dolby Digital behave the same way.

It is also almost certainly true that your audio system can correctly down mix from 6.1 multichannel audio to your 5.1 setup. You probably don't need to worry about it.

If you really don't want the DTS-HD MA track in your file, you have two choices. The MKVToolNix GUI tools can be used to remux the .mkv file MakeMKV produces to one without the DTS-HD MA track. This is probably easiest and won't reduce the quality of the file (other than getting rid of the high quality audio). The second option is to use MakeMKV's on-the-fly audio conversion options to transcode the audio into something else that is acceptable.
kncowans

Re: X-Men - The Last Stand (2006) Audio Track Selection

Post by kncowans »

Hello

Thanks for the Reply.

I used MKVToolNix to Remove the DTS-HD MA 6.1 Audio Track leaving just the DTS 5.1 Surround Audio Track.

The strange is that Plex still shows the Movie as having DTS-ES 6.1 which is just odd, unless I am missing something.

Thanks

Kevin