Can i Insert a .srt file as vobsub?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Gorgonite

Can i Insert a .srt file as vobsub?

Post by Gorgonite »

Hi all,

I've ripped around 30 DVDs from my collection so far.
About 3 of these have no English subtitles

First id like to ask what the "gold standard" method of sourcing and inserting subtitles for DVDs/Blurays in my rips for those which have no subtitles on the disk?

Secondly, i downloaded a set of subs for one of those lacking - The Neverending Story in .srt format from a third party site. I could probably bumble my way through adding this to the rip in MKVtoolnix but i havent because im keen on consistency.
All of my other rips have vobsub subtitles and id like these rips to have vobsub aswell. Is there any way to add a .srt file (or another type) to the rip but as a vobsub?

Thanks in advance
Woodstock

Re: Can i Insert a .srt file as vobsub?

Post by Woodstock »

That depends on your post processing software; MakeMKV won't do it, but tools like handbrake and ffmpeg can. Handbrake will insist on processing the video as well (nature of the tool), but adding tracks isn't that unusual.

It won't be a vobsub, though. vobsub is a graphic subtitle format, SRT is text-based. Handbrake would convert the SRT to a different format, as well (SRT has limitations). A lot of players will also automatically play a .SRT file if it is found in the same directory (with naming restrictions).
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Several players will just display the .srt file as subtitles as long as it has the same name as the movie file (without the extension of the movie file).
Gorgonite

Post by Gorgonite »

Thanks for the replies gents

In regards to part 1 of my question, what is the "gold standard" method for sourcing and including subs in rips which have none?

I.e. what website do you source them from, what file type, how do you include them?

Thanks