Question About Recommended UHD Drives List.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
BrianDW

Question About Recommended UHD Drives List.

Post by BrianDW »

Under the heading Recommended UHD Drives to get: it is stated "PSA now most Pioneers come with new fw that prevents them from be crossflashed or downgraded do not buy one for UHD at this time"

Then, following that is the heading drives that Currently work are: followed by a list of pioneer UHD drives.
Question: Do the Pioneer drives on this list work for ripping UHD discs?

If I order (say) BDR-XD08UMB-S Slim top load USB from AMAZON, will it work?

I currently have multiple drives (Buffalo, LG) and ONE pioneer. (Pioneer Electronics BDR-XD07UHD).

The Pioneer often works when the other fail. I only use it WHEN the others fail, because I want to preserve it, not knowing if I can get a NEW Pioneer drive.

Thank for your time and efforts.
Billycar11

Re: Question About Recommended UHD Drives List.

Post by Billycar11 »

If the fw is after 12/22 the pioneer won't work sadly.

I still have new pioneers with old fw if you want one only 5.25 drives though all the USB ones sold out last year
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

BrianDW wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:15 pm
Under the heading Recommended UHD Drives to get: it is stated "PSA now most Pioneers come with new fw that prevents them from be crossflashed or downgraded do not buy one for UHD at this time"

Then, following that is the heading drives that Currently work are: followed by a list of pioneer UHD drives.
Question: Do the Pioneer drives on this list work for ripping UHD discs?

If I order (say) BDR-XD08UMB-S Slim top load USB from AMAZON, will it work?

I currently have multiple drives (Buffalo, LG) and ONE pioneer. (Pioneer Electronics BDR-XD07UHD).

The Pioneer often works when the other fail. I only use it WHEN the others fail, because I want to preserve it, not knowing if I can get a NEW Pioneer drive.

Thank for your time and efforts.
No, the only place you can get a Pioneer with the older, compatible firmware is from a seller on this forum. Also, there aren't any compatible external drives available anymore but you can get an enclosure or powered SATA/USB adapter to use an internal drive externally.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Depending on your country of residence you can still get a Verbatim 43888 which contains a Pioneer UD04 that is UHD capable. But this drive is very power hungry and may not work on all USB ports. If issues arise, use a powered USB hub or use an USB-C connection.