BDR-UD04 Occasionally Has Trouble Ejecting Disc

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Apollo11

BDR-UD04 Occasionally Has Trouble Ejecting Disc

Post by Apollo11 »

A little while back I purchased a Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive from Asmcom which overall has worked very well and has let me rip "The James Bond Collection", "Farscape" and "The Martian Extended Edition".

Recently however when the backup stage has completed and I need to eject the disc from the drive it struggles to eject; the mechanism can be heard repeatedly activating whilst the tray is still inside and won't fully eject the disc until I lightly press the tray of the drive in so it springs/ejects out with the disc.

Could this be due to some sort of mechanical issue creeping up on the drive? I really don't want to get another one if it fails.

To my knowledge I've been handling the drive carefully; never banging it hard into another object or squeezing it.
PC:
- Desktop: i7-9700K with RTX 2080 8GB w/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

- Laptop 1: i7-12700H with RTX 3060 w/ Debian 12 Bookworm + GNOME.

- Laptop 2: i5-7300HQ with GTX 1050 4GB w/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Blu-Ray drive: Pioneer BDR-UD04 v1.14 Firmware.
asmcom

Re: BDR-UD04 Occasionally Has Trouble Ejecting Disc

Post by asmcom »

Will be happy to replace this drive.

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

asmcom wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:45 pm

Asmcom
Thanks for the offer! I will of course try the tip you described in the PM you sent me.

As of today (2023-06-28) it has not failed completely or gotten any worse from what I can tell.

EDIT: I followed Asmcom's tips from their PM and it seems to have worked. If Asmcom consents I can add the tip as a quote to this post.
PC:

asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Apollo11 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:05 am
asmcom wrote:

Asmcom
Thanks for the offer! I will of course try the tip you described in the PM you sent me.

As of today (2023-06-28) it has not failed completely or gotten any worse from what I can tell.

EDIT: I followed Asmcom's tips from their PM and it seems to have worked. If Asmcom consents I can add the tip as a quote to this post.
Great to hear our advice has worked. This problem has only been reported twice in over 2000 models sold.

When these enclosures and drives are being assembled, it has been noted in some cases that if you over-tighten the screws at each side, it can stop the drive from ejecting properly. This problem can be rectified by making a small adjustment and turning the screws at each side of the enclosure a fraction anti-clockwise, then the issue is sorted, and the drive works perfectly.

As part of our setup, we test each drive to see that it ejects ten times in a row. Sometimes, in post-test procedures, we do find cases that will not eject properly. We then turn the two screws at each side of the drive a fraction anti-clockwise, and the issue is sorted.

We now have a team of four people who build these drives, and recently, we started to use shorter screws and the issue is solved. Vantec is aware of the issue, and shorter screws will be supplied in future. UHD Friendly Drives are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

UHD Friendly Drives

Hayley :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

asmcom wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:52 pm
Apollo11 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:05 am
asmcom wrote:

Asmcom

Great to hear our advice has worked. This problem has only been reported twice in over 2000 models sold.

When these enclosures and drives are being assembled, it has been noted in some cases that if you over-tighten the screws at each side, it can stop the drive from ejecting properly. This problem can be rectified by making a small adjustment and turning the screws at each side of the enclosure a fraction anti-clockwise, then the issue is sorted, and the drive works perfectly.

As part of our setup, we test each drive to see that it ejects ten times in a row. Sometimes, in post-test procedures, we do find cases that will not eject properly. We then turn the two screws at each side of the drive a fraction anti-clockwise, and the issue is sorted.

We now have a team of four people who build these drives, and recently, we started to use shorter screws and the issue is solved. Vantec is aware of the issue, and shorter screws will be supplied in future. UHD Friendly Drives are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

UHD Friendly Drives

Hayley :mrgreen:
Thanks for all the help! For the support I've needed this forum and the folks behind "UHD Friendly Drives" have been excellent.

I've ripped so much and will continue with this drive once my new media server arrives.
PC: