Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
tr000

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tr000 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 am
tr000 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:44 pm
kazuma wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:30 pm
whats the reason to go for each profile? what is the best to take with mp4muxer? i'm using now profile 7 on my LG C9.
Whatever works on your device.

But seriously—just keep it simple. You'll drive yourself crazy looking for the best profile, audio codec, stream container, etc. etc. The only thing that separates profiles in terms of quality is use of BL, EL, and RPU, and how it affects FEL and MEL (Google), but even that is highly debatable. Theoretically one more accurately represented the 12-bit DV mastering color space but I still doubt there is a meaningful difference on current hardware.
I was in this a while ago, I was an advocate for Dolby Vision ripped from UHD disk to mp4 and then played back from new Shield via Plex.

At some point I got pissed off with not being able to successfully mux Atmos into the mp4 files, so I bought the Oppo 203 clone, being a previous Oppo 203 owner I knew the player had a few bugs that never got fixed and a really uninspiring interface, bought the clone anyway.

Even now we are muxing Atmos into TS/M2TS files I can’t go back to the Shield, there is something off putting about its colour reproduction of any Dolby Vision file ripped from UHD disk, when you see it next to the ChinOppo you can clearly see it is doing some sort of nearest neighbour with the UHD BD colour profile.
I’m not sure if there is anything Nvidia can do about it TBH.
I cannot comment about the Shield but I know my DV .mp4s on my TCL home theatre TV look identical to the respective Blu-ray. Perhaps it's a difference in the SoC or pipeline.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:12 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:04 am

I use dolby atmos for headphone on pc to get virtual surround sound though.
that is an inferior experience to having the headphones plugged into the tv
its just wrong in so many ways
sound that just works is better, atmos is best on a real surround setup not the virtualized widows thing the other tracks on the movies are professionally down mixed not some on the fly windows stuff it will sound better and be much easier to use and all be insync
Plugging the headphone into the tv will only give stereo sound. If the source supports surround sound, having virtual surround sound, while not ideal and not as good as real dolby atmos seteup, is way better than stereo. There maybe some very slight degrade in quality but the imaging/soundstage is much better and the experience is a lot more immersive.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 am
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am

Plays M2TS though.
Not on my C8, .ts or m2ts DV only trigger HDR
Hi, I serve to the internal Plex app on my C7 & C9 from a shield and M2TS play fine in DV, do you use Plex or LG player, if LG player I will try it, don’t want to digging about at the back of them to plug in usb cables unless I have to.
The Plex app on the LG C8 would only play HDR when I fed it a .TS or .M2TS DV file, this was a profile 4/6 and I think I even tried profile 7 file.

Shield works fine, and DV .MP4s work fine on the LG Plex app as well
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am
So I'm watching dolby vision remuxes on my c9 oled tv (stored on an external hdd connected via usb, played using the tv internal player) without audio, because I use headphone on my pc so everytime I have to play the same film on the pc to get the audio through headphone. Is there an easy way to synchonize between the video on the tv and the audio coming from the pc?
perhaps this approach can help you, or at least the idea may be customized to your setup: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... eep#p82862
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Not on my C8, .ts or m2ts DV only trigger HDR
Hi, I serve to the internal Plex app on my C7 & C9 from a shield and M2TS play fine in DV, do you use Plex or LG player, if LG player I will try it, don’t want to digging about at the back of them to plug in usb cables unless I have to.
The Plex app on the LG C8 would only play HDR when I fed it a .TS or .M2TS DV file, this was a profile 4/6 and I think I even tried profile 7 file.

If these TS files contain the atmos track, i wonder if it’s because the TV plex app is trying to transcode it, losing DV in the process. Have you tried selecting that unknown ac3 5.1 track while playing or just using the internal player via dlna (you’ll get the audio not supported message instead)?
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:31 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am
So I'm watching dolby vision remuxes on my c9 oled tv (stored on an external hdd connected via usb, played using the tv internal player) without audio, because I use headphone on my pc so everytime I have to play the same film on the pc to get the audio through headphone. Is there an easy way to synchonize between the video on the tv and the audio coming from the pc?
perhaps this approach can help you, or at least the idea may be customized to your setup: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... eep#p82862
Thank you. I looked at that post before but the setup seems like a big hassle.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:38 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:

If these TS files contain the atmos track, i wonder if it’s because the TV plex app is trying to transcode it, losing DV in the process. Have you tried selecting that unknown ac3 5.1 track while playing or just using the internal player via dlna (you’ll get the audio not supported message instead)?
Yes, even made movies with only the .ac3 track to make sure
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Hey Guys, I finally managed to play DV rips on my PHILIPS 65 OLED 934!

It works currently only on MX Player Pro with HW codec, so playing through network is also not possible. Hdd has to be attached to the TV :(

What I do is just rip it with DVDfab under Windows, doing same on macOS give horrible artefacts.
However it's only possible with Single Layer rips and E-AC-3, mp4 remux.

I've already tried several approaches from MrMC to try it to run with atmos or dts, but no chance.

Did someone managed to play DV rips through network?
Did someone managed to rip DV with Atmos?
Is there an app for AndroidTV to play those back, other than MX Player?
Is there a way to playback Dual Layer DV on AndroidTV through HDD or Network?
tr000

Post by tr000 »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 am
Did someone managed to play DV rips through network?
Did someone managed to rip DV with Atmos?
Yes, I can play Dolby Vision files from my laptop on my TCL Home Theatre TV in DV fine. No Plex or anything, just the Windows media streaming.

Atmos, I am not sure, I know lossless audio is possible via TSMuxer or MP4Box.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
It works currently only on MX Player Pro with HW codec, so playing through network is also not possible. Hdd has to be attached to the TV :(
Have you tried the latest MX Player beta? they've added network server support:
Grencola wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am
hey so for all us firestick 4k peeps stuck using mx player with our dv movies, they just added SMB SUPPORT to their new beta. see here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/mx-media- ... 2-release/
I've only tried it on my phone so far but it works great! this is huge considering the firestick doesn't natively support usb hdd's and its internal storage is far too small for any full movie.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:46 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Have you tried the latest MX Player beta? they've added network server support:
Grencola wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am
hey so for all us firestick 4k peeps stuck using mx player with our dv movies, they just added SMB SUPPORT to their new beta. see here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/mx-media- ... 2-release/
I've only tried it on my phone so far but it works great! this is huge considering the firestick doesn't natively support usb hdd's and its internal storage is far too small for any full movie.
Thanks man, I tried 1.21.2 beta, but honestly can't see any difference between 1.20.7 pro. Still plays only with HW. not HW+ decoder, and HW codecs' buffering isn't good at all over network. Do you know by chance, weher I can access the SMB server within MX Player?
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

PowerDVD 20 is out and no DV, so we can say we never have DV in PC

I don't understand who can buy that expensive software which version after version is always the same and only works in Intel...

@Grencola what happens with your minix device? :wink: I told you, they lie and only want to sell
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:29 am
Thanks man, I tried 1.21.2 beta, but honestly can't see any difference between 1.20.7 pro. Still plays only with HW. not HW+ decoder, and HW codecs' buffering isn't good at all over network. Do you know by chance, weher I can access the SMB server within MX Player?
the beta you tried must be different than the official Playstore one on mobile, as there's a new menu item called 'Local Network' that let's you type the IP of a network server.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

hepe9 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:39 pm
@Grencola what happens with your minix device? :wink: I told you, they lie and only want to sell
I know right?! that's pretty brutal. I had a feeling they'd tergiversate upon launch, seemed like a marketing gimmick. I still haven't heard from users testing it though, so there's still a small chance it can play (at least prof 5) dv files.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:54 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:29 am
the beta you tried must be different than the official Playstore one on mobile, as there's a new menu item called 'Local Network' that let's you type the IP of a network server.
The 1.21.2 beta was the suggested version from the provided link with SMB in the changelog!
However, I tried 2.8.0 directly from Playstore and there's also no such thing as 'Local Network', there's only a bunch of useless added crap :)
See for yourself:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-hePke ... sp=sharing

I've also tried on different devices...