Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

baker99 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:46 am

Interesting, I wonder if anyone has filed a bug report on the shield forum, maybe it's a simple fix in firmware
yep, it must be fixable with a firmware update. I hope they will because now i have to plug back my appleTV for Neflix in DV+Atmos, was about to sell it... smfh
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yusesope wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm

And if Netflix videos are displayed in the same way as mine, then Netflix is ​​also using streams with the wrong colors ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used the real untouched download from netflix server for the test.. It looks like a real profile 5 file to me.

Code: Select all

Complete name                            : D:\Stranger.Things.S03.DV\1.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42 (isom/mp42/dby1)
File size                                : 5.92 GiB
Duration                                 : 50 min 33 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 16.8 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2019-08-10 03:07:48
Tagged date                              : UTC 2019-08-10 03:07:48

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duration                                 : 50 min 33 s
Bit rate                                 : 15.5 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 37.3 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.078
Stream size                              : 5.47 GiB (92%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 2019-07-08 20:48:17
Tagged date                              : UTC 2019-08-10 03:08:04
Color range                              : Full
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC

if I play the file in mpc-be, madvr cannot detect the color primaries or matrix and output weird color which I believe is normal for a profile 5.6 BL+rpu file

yusesope

Post by yusesope »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 pm
yusesope wrote:

And if Netflix videos are displayed in the same way as mine, then Netflix is ​​also using streams with the wrong colors ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used the real untouched download from netflix server for the test.. It looks like a real profile 5 file to me.
I do not doubt it.
Mine was a joke.
If the color output is similar to my files, there are two things:
  • my files are correct
  • Netflix is ​​streamming files with the wrong colors (joke)
I am Italian, it doesn't take me much to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

hepe9 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:29 am
built_to_chill wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:25 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:10 am
after more comparisons with my TV internal app and the x700, I now believe the Shield actually output over-saturated color in DV.
I suspect it's because they send a bt2020 rgb 8bit signalwhile the x700 and the appleTV send RGB 8 bit ( no color primaries signaled).

Netflix Stranger Things DV comparisons

Shield vs LG C8 TV: https://slow.pics/c/ah3JaROY

x700 vs LG C8: https://slow.pics/c/Stl6kE9t

x700 vs Shield: https://slow.pics/c/K3bky83X

P-S: before you ask, yes my shield is up to date
That's interesting. FWIW - and that is probably very little since this is very much "hearsay" - my pro calibrator (who is well qualified and does a lot of stuff for commercial Movie/TV productions as well as consult TV manufacturers) was negative about the implementation of DV in the 2019 SHIELD. We didn't discuss in any detail (because I had decided not to buy one) but I wonder if this is what he was referring to.
Maybe I don't understand you because English is not my languague, but you say you know a person who has knowledge in this area, you know what he thinks about DV in Sony TVs? all I have read is that it is more darkness than other manufacturers
It’s off the topic of this thread, and I’d be doing a dis-service to my calibrator to go into details about how he achieves what he does (it’s a professional service) but Dolby Vision on my Sony AF9 was dramatically improved by calibration.

I wasn’t fussed about Dolby Vision vs HDR10 before calibration (I often found DV a bit dark) and this is why I was happy archiving my UHDs in a way that I expected would only ever allow HDR10. But that all changed post calibration. So no - DV is not “broken” on Sony, I know this does get banded about. However, in my experience calibration made a massive difference - much brighter and punchier afterward, and now there is a clear difference between HDR10 and DV. I am now firmly of the opinion that when investing in an OLED, one should budget an extra 10% or so for calibration. These are very expensive TVs - we buy them for accuracy, shadow detail etc, but - again in my experience - calibration takes it to another level.

I mention my TVs model number because it allows 20pt correction (not sure if earlier Sony models do). I also stress the importance of finding a skilled calibrator who knows what they are doing to achieve this. For anyone in the U.K. who’s interested I used “display and sound calibration” (easy to google). I believe the only ISF level 3 certified calibrator in the U.K.

Back to Sony TVs... I’d also briefly add that some well respect calibrators at AVS (DNice and jrref) have compared 2019 Sony OLEDs against other brands (post calibration) side by side and reported Dolby vision is identical.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yusesope wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:31 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 pm
yusesope wrote:

I do not doubt it.
Mine was a joke.
If the color output is similar to my files, there are two things:
  • my files are correct
  • Netflix is ​​streamming files with the wrong colors (joke)
I am Italian, it doesn't take me much to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
haha ok I'm no English native as well so i don't get all the jokes in english :P

and yes, I think your files might be right. I wish i could compare them with my x700.
I'll try to compare your samples on my TV internal apps but i cannot forward frame by frame like i can with the x700,so its hard to pause at the same place.

I dont say that i dont believe your test result. It's just that I prefer the screenshot comparison(when done properly) as they are not subjective.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

codeXRes wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:07 pm
hepe9 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:06 pm
@LucasSimba you tried the clips posted for @yusesope?

To see if you have the same results

I tried with the Sony player and the "dvdfab" works but wrongs colors and the other 2 no DV and play in fast speed
I have tried the clips posted by @yusesope on a Sony XF9005; results below.

Plex:

Joker_dvhe.04.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer.mp4 - DV Logo but over saturated colors (the light bulbs around the mirror are all red).
Joker_dvhe.05.06_BL_RPU_Single_Track_Single_Layer.mp4 - DV Logo but over saturated colors.
Joker_dvhe.07.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer.mp4 - DV Logo but over saturated colors.
Joker_dvhe.07.06_Double_Track_Double_Layer.mp4 - No DV Logo; played as HDR.

Video Player:

Joker_dvhe.04.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer.mp4 - No DV Logo; played as HDR.
Joker_dvhe.05.06_BL_RPU_Single_Track_Single_Layer.mp4 - DV Logo but over saturated colors.
Joker_dvhe.07.06_BL_EL_RPU_Single_Track_Double_Layer.mp4 - No DV Logo; played as HDR.
Joker_dvhe.07.06_Double_Track_Double_Layer.mp4 - No DV Logo; played as HDR.
So we can say the owners of this TV we can't do nothing :(

PD: thanks for the test
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

built_to_chill wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:53 pm
hepe9 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:29 am
built_to_chill wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:25 am

That's interesting. FWIW - and that is probably very little since this is very much "hearsay" - my pro calibrator (who is well qualified and does a lot of stuff for commercial Movie/TV productions as well as consult TV manufacturers) was negative about the implementation of DV in the 2019 SHIELD. We didn't discuss in any detail (because I had decided not to buy one) but I wonder if this is what he was referring to.
Maybe I don't understand you because English is not my languague, but you say you know a person who has knowledge in this area, you know what he thinks about DV in Sony TVs? all I have read is that it is more darkness than other manufacturers
It’s off the topic of this thread, and I’d be doing a dis-service to my calibrator to go into details about how he achieves what he does (it’s a professional service) but Dolby Vision on my Sony AF9 was dramatically improved by calibration.

I wasn’t fussed about Dolby Vision vs HDR10 before calibration (I often found DV a bit dark) and this is why I was happy archiving my UHDs in a way that I expected would only ever allow HDR10. But that all changed post calibration. So no - DV is not “broken” on Sony, I know this does get banded about. However, in my experience calibration made a massive difference - much brighter and punchier afterward, and now there is a clear difference between HDR10 and DV. I am now firmly of the opinion that when investing in an OLED, one should budget an extra 10% or so for calibration. These are very expensive TVs - we buy them for accuracy, shadow detail etc, but - again in my experience - calibration takes it to another level.

I mention my TVs model number because it allows 20pt correction (not sure if earlier Sony models do). I also stress the importance of finding a skilled calibrator who knows what they are doing to achieve this. For anyone in the U.K. who’s interested I used “display and sound calibration” (easy to google). I believe the only ISF level 3 certified calibrator in the U.K.

Back to Sony TVs... I’d also briefly add that some well respect calibrators at AVS (DNice and jrref) have compared 2019 Sony OLEDs against other brands (post calibration) side by side and reported Dolby vision is identical.
I don't have an Oled

I have a Led, specifically XF9005
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

Its definitely the Shield doing something wrong because on my LG C9 the dual layer and Yuescope look identical - I've checked lots of scenes.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm
Its definitely the Shield doing something wrong because on my LG C9 the dual layer and Yuescope look identical - I've checked lots of scenes.
That's good news, kind of.
zalman

Post by zalman »

LG B8 TV

Joker_dvhe.07.06_Double_Track_Double_Layer (Don´t play)

Thanks.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

I know you guys probably don't care but I have a Hisense H8F and it plays all of the test files except for the DV Profile 4.06

The way I play my files is run the .m2ts through TSMuxer and output a TS file that has the Dolby Vision Profile 7 info (EL + RPU) on the second layer. Works great.
ragico

Post by ragico »

ATD555 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 pm
I know you guys probably don't care but I have a Hisense H8F and it plays all of the test files except for the DV Profile 4.06

The way I play my files is run the .m2ts through TSMuxer and output a TS file that has the Dolby Vision Profile 7 info (EL + RPU) on the second layer. Works great.
How you know that the second layer has the Dolby Vision Profile 7 info before you mux the .ts?
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

ragico wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 pm
ATD555 wrote:

How you know that the second layer has the Dolby Vision Profile 7 info before you mux the .ts?
Well I can assume it does cause I am using files ripped directly from a 4K Dolby Vision disc. If I obtained a file and am unsure whetehr or not it should have Dolby Vision, I consult Blu-Ray.com to confirm.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ragico wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 pm
ATD555 wrote:

If there are two HEVC streams in your original m2ts, then it's in DV.
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

ATD555 wrote:

Are you using any other settings? or just adding the .m2ts and muxing to .ts? What build are you using? So far I haven't been able to get a .ts file to play on my LG B9 unfortunately.