Navigation Error

Everything related to MakeMKV
jsCP94

Navigation Error

Post by jsCP94 »

I'm currently ripping from a DVD, and I get this log:
Using direct disc access mode
Complex multiplex encountered - 20 cells and 6769 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
IFO file for VTS #1 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
Title #1 (1:36:42) was skipped due to navigation error
Title #2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:01:16)
Title #3 has length of 3 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 45 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 3-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 117 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #4 was added (1 cell(s), 0:01:41)
Cells 5-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 107 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #4/0/1 was added (1 cell(s), 0:01:32)
Cells 7-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 108 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #4/0/2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:01:33)
Cells 9-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #4/0/3 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:50)
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 164 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #6 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:21)
Complex multiplex encountered - 26 cells and 182 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #7 was added (26 cell(s), 0:02:16)
Failed to open disc
I aborted the operation midway, which is why the disc failed to open. My problem is that I need "Title #1", but it's been skipped "due to navigation error". Is there anyway to access this title? Also, please excuse me in advance since I'm still pretty new to this forum, so let me know if there's any other info you need to know.
Woodstock

Re: Navigation Error

Post by Woodstock »

/manualdvd/

Manual DVD mode lets you force MakeMKV to hand SOME issues with DVD directories, but not necessarily navigation errors. Navigation errors include a lot of different issues, including going off into parts of the disk that don't contain information.

But, a thought - sometimes the basic issue is that part of the disk was not readable. Some drives do not report errors if they can "mostly read" the sectors of a disk, and instead just report what they found. This is OK when playing a DVD or BD, because the players assume some data will be bad and skip over it, but rippers don't like that. I've had disks act like this before, and cleaning them resulted in a proper rip without the "VOB scan" and navigation errors.