Fie Naming

Everything related to MakeMKV
Smithcraft

Re: Fie Naming

Post by Smithcraft »

Ah! File Name is not an option in the drop down list until a track is selected! Otherwise you can only select Name and Metadata Language.

Shouldn't File Name be the default and not Name? Then derive Name from File Name instead of the other way around?

SC
paulster

Post by paulster »

Smithcraft wrote:Shouldn't File Name be the default and not Name? Then derive Name from File Name instead of the other way around?
That depends whether your own specific file naming will result in a meaningful title name that gets embedded in the file (for instance some people use periods instead of spaces and include the year and media source. If it doesn't then it's far more difficult to edit the metadata afterwards (requires a third-party tool or a re-run through MakeMKV) versus a quick rename that every operating system offers.

I think it works fine just the way it is.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Respectfully, I disagree.

Mkvtoolnix header editor is not difficult to use. The whole point of naming files from with in MakeMKV is to not have to rename them in the desktop environment.

SC
paulster

Post by paulster »

Smithcraft wrote:Respectfully, I disagree.

Mkvtoolnix header editor is not difficult to use.
No, it's not difficult to use. But you have to install it, and it is certainly more difficult than a simple operating system rename.
Smithcraft wrote:The whole point of naming files from with in MakeMKV is to not have to rename them in the desktop environment.
Yes, and MakeMKV already gives you that option as has been pointed out to you a number of times already in this thread, so why the need for any change?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

To make it better? Otherwise, I have to venture to guess that you didn't read my whole post?

SC
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Smithcraft wrote:Ah! File Name is not an option in the drop down list until a track is selected! Otherwise you can only select Name and Metadata Language.
Yes, because attribute is per selected item. When a title is selected, changing 'Name' will change the name of the title. Changing 'File Name' - the name of generated file. Changing 'Name" when track is selected will change the name of the track. There is no file name for a track to change, but tracks have track-specific attributes. Changing the name for the Disc (top level item) will change default name for all titles. And so on...
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Yes, I understand that from the previous post. However, why not have File Name as the default item to change rather than a metatag? Or rename Name to Meta Name?

SC
paulster

Post by paulster »

The default on every field is the metadata so it makes sense, from a consistency point of view, to have it change the metadata for the title name as well by default. You think the filename is more important, but that's in your use case scenario, not everybody's.

I don't want to rip a title, realise that I've forgotten to correctly set the title name and then have to fire up a tool to change it, whereas I'm quite happy to rename it to exactly what I want after the event since I'm having to name the associated images and NFO files at that point, or to just click on the drop-down and set the filename there and then.

If anything, the filename could be available as a separate item between the path and the current name/filename box since there's room when an individual track is selected. Then you'd only ever have to use the drop-down box for the more obscure settings like weightings.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

paulster wrote: You think the filename is more important, but that's in your use case scenario, not everybody's.
I did not start this thread, nor did I start any of the other threads about being able to name files in MakeMKV prior to ripping, so I think you have me confused with the person that started this thread.

As I started using MakeMKV before this was an option, my work flow is to pick all I want from MakeMKV and change the file names afterward in the desktop environment, so that is not my use case scenario.

SC