Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED'

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Ripper

Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED'

Post by Ripper »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, have used MakeMKV a few times, have only ripped about 8 Blu-Ray disks and mostly with success, however I've ran into a few which failed to rip and in all cases these are the errors I'm seeing (Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED' occurred while reading...). I've googled it and looked a bit on this forum but haven't found any hits for same / similar error messages. The disk scans just fine, but when i go to click "Make MKV" is when the failure occurs. Here's a sample output from the latest failure:

MakeMKV v1.7.6 win(x86-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Videos
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50285.m2ts' at offset '0'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/50285.m2ts' at offset '0'
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Videos/Cowboys_and_Aliens_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

I'm running on Vista 32 bit and my Blu-Ray reader is an external USB one I got off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Extern ... 564a352656. The Blu-Ray disk itself is flawless looking and I even cleaned it just to be sure that wasn't the problem. I had experienced this with my Iron Man 2 disk, however I borrowed my buddies copy which worked on a different occasion. But again my disk was flawless looking and had no scratches whatsoever so I don't know if it was something wrong with the disk, the reader, or possibly something with MakeMKV or possibly the state of my OS on these given days...

Has anyone ever seen the above errors or have any idea what this could be attributed to? I currently have quite a few applications open so my memory and CPU are under quite a bit of use, but I've never found MakeMKV to be a resource hog. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
setarip_old

Re: Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED'

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I had experienced this with my Iron Man 2 disk, however I borrowed my buddies copy which worked on a different occasion.

1) Please clarify - Are you saying your friend's disc exhibited the same problem with your system or that your system properly processed your friend's disc?

2) Are both discs (yours and your friend's) original, commercial Blu-rays?

Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Problem solved (at least this time). I rebooted my system, unplugged & re-plugged in my BD reader, then tried again to rip and it failed on the same 50285.m2ts file with the same error. I then tried manually copying the problematic file to my desktop thinking if there was really a scratch on the disk or the file was corrupted then copying should also fail, however it succeeded and I scratched my head some more...

Without really much else to try I once again took the disk, washed it again really good with my fingers and non abrasive dish soap in the sink, dried it carefully and blew any remaining towel dust off. Then carefully wiped and blew off the lens on the reader (as it is actually part of the tray door that slides out), then tried it one last time and to my surprise it made it past the problematic m2ts file and ripped the whole movie successfully, go figure...

I guess I'll have to chalk this one up to either a small partial of something either on the disk itself or on the readers lens. Again I'm a bit stumped as my computer area is clean, the reader is only a month old and the disk itself looked perfectly clean. I know I'm new at BD ripping and using MakeMKV, who knows maybe BD are just very temperamental with all that data stored on them or something. The other thing that does surprise me though is all my Google searching of "MakeMKV" and any permutation of the error message resulted in zero hits and I have a hard time believing I'm the only one who's ever had this problem. Either that or maybe nobody's ever reported or posted it, who knows.

To answer your question yes both my and my friends disks were both legitimate retail / commercial disks and mine plays just fine in my stand alone Blu-Ray player hooked up to my TV and has never exhibited a problem. Yet my friends disk ripped just fine while mine did not and I swear mine was scratch free and I remembered trying to clean it better to see if that was the problem. Maybe I'll try it again just for giggles...

Thanks much and I hope this helps anyone else who encounters this
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

my friends disk ripped just fine while mine did not
That would indicate that your disc is the source of the problem - and your success after carefully cleaning would appear to support this...