Hello all
I have fount an issue in speed control. Or at least "some sort of" issue.
I was not able to rip the (normal, non-UHD) BluRay "Killer's Bodyguard" with speed control on ("0=99"). It always got SCSI timeout and read error issues around 23 GByte, while the speed control got into "save" mode (spin down for layer switch). the disc spins up and slows down, the header seems to search the track but don't find it; til I0vegot the timeout. I thought of a disc problem.
However, if I switch off speed control in the settings.config, the disc will be read flawlessly and finishes without any problem (it doesn't spin down either in that area). So it seems the "save" process has some problem; sometimes.
This is the first disc where I found that sort of problem. The others do just work with speed control and that's great. I think it is hard to find a fix for that; if there is any. Even if it is reproducable here, it looks like a specific situation to me. Or maybe I'll find more of them. So my recommendation for a small enhancement: For convenience it would be nice if there is a simple "on/off" speed control button in MakeMKV.
Altough the workaround is really easy in the (hopefully) rare situation: Am I the only one with that problem? If there is the need for more information for analysis, tell me what you need.
Cheers
Bössu
Environment:
MakeMKV 2.0.0 (regiatered)
Linux Mint 22.3
Asus BW-16D1HT (internal)
Firmware Revision: 3.10
LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
MakeMKV speed control vs. non-speed control
-
kaysee
- Posts: 101
- Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:22 am
Re: MakeMKV speed control vs. non-speed control
How many times did you try it with either setting? Just once with and once without the speed setting?
-
snailsth
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:53 am
Re: MakeMKV speed control vs. non-speed control
I have actually run into something very similar with speed control enabled. The disc would start slowing down around the layer change, and shortly after that I would get read errors and a timeout. At first I also thought the disc itself might be bad.
I tried reading the same disc again with speed control disabled, and it completed without any issues. So it definitely seemed like the problem was related to the speed control rather than the disc.
I have tried a few different settings to get around it, but I have not been able to find a proper fix. For now, disabling speed control is the only workaround that has worked reliably for me. It does not happen with every disc, though, which makes it a little harder to figure out what is triggering it.
I tried reading the same disc again with speed control disabled, and it completed without any issues. So it definitely seemed like the problem was related to the speed control rather than the disc.
I have tried a few different settings to get around it, but I have not been able to find a proper fix. For now, disabling speed control is the only workaround that has worked reliably for me. It does not happen with every disc, though, which makes it a little harder to figure out what is triggering it.
-
boessu
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:58 pm
Re: MakeMKV speed control vs. non-speed control
I've tried three times with speed control. I've cleaned the disk between (eventhough, no visible dust or dirt before). I've rebooted once between. It was three times the exact same.
I was on the path to see the disc failing and order a new one. But before that I tried once without speed control and that worked. And I even didn't rebooted between the last time with speed control and without speed control (just restarted MakeMKV).
But I didn't found a 2nd disc with that problem.
So my guess and proposal, instead of hunting a bug which seems to be an edge case (including the fact that the bug could be in the firmware too; or a combination of firmware and MakeMKV speed control which makes it even harder to find):
introduce a switch in the GUI for a 2nd try (only visible if speed control is configured). It's easier than editing the config
I was on the path to see the disc failing and order a new one. But before that I tried once without speed control and that worked. And I even didn't rebooted between the last time with speed control and without speed control (just restarted MakeMKV).
But I didn't found a 2nd disc with that problem.
So my guess and proposal, instead of hunting a bug which seems to be an edge case (including the fact that the bug could be in the firmware too; or a combination of firmware and MakeMKV speed control which makes it even harder to find):
introduce a switch in the GUI for a 2nd try (only visible if speed control is configured). It's easier than editing the config