Roku Media Player seems to play most MKVs fine. Even some ripped from Blu-ray discs.
However, some give the error:
"The codec used to compress the video is not supported."
I've heard it's because the Roku doesn't support MPEG 2 which I guess is the underlying codec on the BDs that gets wrapped by MakeMKV.
The files in the BDMV\STREAM subdirectory all have .M2TS extensions and are AVCHD Video (file type).
What is the easiest way around this problem?
I would need specific instructions if it's complicated.
Roku can't play some MKV files created from BDs
-
ssybesma
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:49 am
- Location: Brighton, CO
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4593
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: Roku can't play some MKV files created from BDs
Most blu-rays I've come across are MPEG-4 or VC-1. Most DVDs I've encountered are MPEG-2. It seems odd that Roku Media Player couldn't play common DVD video formats.
I don't have or use a Roku but my first thought is to suggest you find a more capable playback software if Roku Media Player is limited. Setup a Plex server maybe.
If that isn't an option for some reason, you could also ways use Handbrake to transcode MPEG-2 stuff into h.264.
I don't have or use a Roku but my first thought is to suggest you find a more capable playback software if Roku Media Player is limited. Setup a Plex server maybe.
If that isn't an option for some reason, you could also ways use Handbrake to transcode MPEG-2 stuff into h.264.