Hello all
I Hope you are Well.
One thing I have never been sure of when Ripping Blurays involves Forced Subtitles.
I know this Subject has been gone over multiple Times but I am not able to find the answer to this one Question.
If I just want 'Forced Subtitles' and not the Full Movie Subtitles, can I just Tick the 'Forced Subtitles' Box or do I have to also Tick the Main Subtitle Box in order to get the 'Forced Subtitles' ?
Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks in advance
Kevin
Forced Subtitle Clarification
-
Woodstock
- Posts: 10985
- Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm
Re: Forced Subtitle Clarification
"Forced subtitles" works when there are mixed subtitles in a track, some of which are flagged as "Forced".
That means, on probably 99% of the disks you can buy, it means NOTHING.
On most multi-language disks, there will be two subtitle tracks per language. One will have just the forced subtitles, the other will have all subtitles. Since none are FLAGGED as forced, MakeMKV will not rip them as a separate track; i.e., it will TRY, but, in the end, will remove the empty forced track.
So far, in the hundreds of disks I've ripped, I have found TWO that had mixed Forced/nonForced subtitles. One was the Avatar movie, the other was rather obscure and I can't remember it. You can set up MakeMKV to rip forced-only in addition to "the whole track", and later set that track as default if you want, though.
That means, on probably 99% of the disks you can buy, it means NOTHING.
On most multi-language disks, there will be two subtitle tracks per language. One will have just the forced subtitles, the other will have all subtitles. Since none are FLAGGED as forced, MakeMKV will not rip them as a separate track; i.e., it will TRY, but, in the end, will remove the empty forced track.
So far, in the hundreds of disks I've ripped, I have found TWO that had mixed Forced/nonForced subtitles. One was the Avatar movie, the other was rather obscure and I can't remember it. You can set up MakeMKV to rip forced-only in addition to "the whole track", and later set that track as default if you want, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
-
kncowans
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 pm
Re: Forced Subtitle Clarification
Hello
Thanks for the Reply.
I will just continue what I am doing which is to Select all English Subtitle Tracks, along with the Forced Subtitles Box.
Then when I have Ripped the Disk, Open the resulting MKV with MediaInfo and check for a Subtitle Track with a limited number of Elements and Set that one to Forced, it usually works.
I was just looking at streamlining the procedure and hopefully lose a Step or Two.
One more Question, if I may.
Would it be possible, in a Future Release to add the ability to show how many Elements are in each Subtitle Track?
I do not know if that would be possible but it would definitely be useful.
Thanks
Kevin
Thanks for the Reply.
I will just continue what I am doing which is to Select all English Subtitle Tracks, along with the Forced Subtitles Box.
Then when I have Ripped the Disk, Open the resulting MKV with MediaInfo and check for a Subtitle Track with a limited number of Elements and Set that one to Forced, it usually works.
I was just looking at streamlining the procedure and hopefully lose a Step or Two.
One more Question, if I may.
Would it be possible, in a Future Release to add the ability to show how many Elements are in each Subtitle Track?
I do not know if that would be possible but it would definitely be useful.
Thanks
Kevin