Pioneer BDR-L08SHB on Linux

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
bobsobol
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Pioneer BDR-L08SHB on Linux

Post by bobsobol »

So, I've been hoping I could use my BRD drive (initially purchased for backup) to play BluRay video, as I do DVDs, since I haven't had a TV in a long long time … So I purchased some HD BRDs, and then I hit this encryption nonsense. I've not tried UHD, but that would be a very nice bonus.

From what I'm reading, the drive firmware date may make it suitable for flashing with a LibreDrive firmware, though it's certainly not on any of the lists of compatible, or incompatible drives. So maybe I'm wrong? Either way, it seems people here would like to get hold of a copy of the firmware I have presently, (to analyse and add to the lists as possible or not) and it seems like the flashing software can back up the existing firmware before writing out, which seems very sensible. I've not seen any indication of where I should submit my firmware, if I can read it.

If I can flash it, the instructions all tell me I need Windows 11. … I don't use Windows. (at least not outside work) I have some old Mac machines, BSDs, Android and Linux all over the place, and even some old DOS, and Amiga machines, but nothing Windows. Can I use wine to flash the firmware, (initial attempts suggest not, wine exits immediately with errors locating or setting up a driver) or is there another option? Maybe a VM, with 11 unactivation and destroy the VM once I'm done? (it's easier to attach hardware directly to a VM, wine reads optical drives through native drivers and filesystems … and a VM is a common work around for binary blob drivers on BSD) Or maybe there is Posix source for something simple? (simpler code, probably harder to use)

wine attempt:—

Code: Select all

0080:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\nsiproxy": c0000003
011c:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'icuuc68.u_charsToUChars_68' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\icu.dll"
Any and all advise, much appreciated.

Drive details below.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr1
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-L08SHB
Revision: 1.12
Serial number: MFDL040234WL
Firmware date: 2014-12-18
Highest AACS version: 31

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible, not yet enabled
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8301
Firmware version: ID92
Coopervid
Posts: 4762
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Re: Pioneer BDR-L08SHB on Linux

Post by Coopervid »

Seems to be a 208 that can be flashed to S11 and will be UHD capable. Windows is mandatory. Wine might work. VMWare will. Respond if you want to try.