MakeMKV fatal error when opening WineCountryFlix non-commercial discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
rumokeenme
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2026 2:56 am

MakeMKV fatal error when opening WineCountryFlix non-commercial discs

Post by rumokeenme »

Hey folks. Please forgive & redirect me if I'm posting in the wrong place here.

I've only recently gotten a Blu-ray drive and started buying DVDs and [non-4k] discs for our collection. So far, MakeMKV has worked beautifully for all the commercial discs I've tried. While looking for certain shows (like Disney's Amphibia), I realized that no DVD or Blu-ray releases were ever made for a bunch of the things we wanted, but I found a particular seller on poshmark (https://poshmark.com/closet/winecountryflix) that sells discs that apparently have been ripped from online streaming services. I took a chance on one and... once I received the Amphibia Complete Series (awesome show) from them, I found it played perfectly in my set-top player. Honestly, I was shocked and pleasantly surprised -- the interactive menu was one of the best I've ever seen (letting you view eight 60s episode thumbnails at a time, among other cool things) and I couldn't find any fault in the video quality (compared to the same on Disney+, which I also have). After that, I bought 2 more discs from the same seller.

All that said... opening theses discs in MakeMKV is another story. First thing: they play in VLC, so that's nice. Aside from that, the first thing I notice: the label on the discs is always "Aladdin (1994)". Weird.

I can successfully use File/Backup if I uncheck the "Decrypt video files" option (leaving that checked causes a crash). I can then find the 3 or so giant files and encode them, but I'd have to manually split the dozens of episodes out by hand. Moving on from the backup... if I try to open one of these discs in the usual way so that MakeMKV can parse the playlists and present titles to me for ripping, it always crashes with "Fatal error occurred" right after saying:

Code: Select all

Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
Enabling debugging doesn't give any details in the log, so that's a bummer. Does anyone have suggestions or insight you could share?
dcoke22
Posts: 4584
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Re: MakeMKV fatal error when opening WineCountryFlix non-commercial discs

Post by dcoke22 »

What happens if you open the backup you created with MakeMKV?