Unstable BDR-UD03

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Xehelios
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2026 6:14 am

Unstable BDR-UD03

Post by Xehelios »

My BDR-UD03 is completely unreliable and I can't figure out why. I flashed it using @Billycar11, so I know that worked. But then, when I insert a UHD disc, I briefly see it in Finder and then I lose it. When I try to launch MakeMKV, I get a bunch of

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY'
https://cloud.civera.ca/01a0ebc6-c04d-7 ... 0147bc5dc2

I cleaned the lens, as recommended by @Billycar11 (before it wouldn't even accept a UHD disc)

I'm wondering if it has to do with the power supply. I'm using a chenyang SATA 22Pin Male to Slimline SATA 13 Female and a BENFEI SATA to USB 3.0 Cable connected directly to a Thunderbolt 4 port on my Mac Studio.These adapters work fine with my slim BU40N drive.

Otherwise, maybe I just got a lemon?

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Drive Information
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: PLDL337010WL
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
Billycar11
Posts: 6236
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Unstable BDR-UD03

Post by Billycar11 »

Xehelios wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:09 am My BDR-UD03 is completely unreliable and I can't figure out why. I flashed it using @Billycar11, so I know that worked. But then, when I insert a UHD disc, I briefly see it in Finder and then I lose it. When I try to launch MakeMKV, I get a bunch of

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY'
https://cloud.civera.ca/01a0ebc6-c04d-7 ... 0147bc5dc2

I cleaned the lens, as recommended by @Billycar11 (before it wouldn't even accept a UHD disc)

I'm wondering if it has to do with the power supply. I'm using a chenyang SATA 22Pin Male to Slimline SATA 13 Female and a BENFEI SATA to USB 3.0 Cable connected directly to a Thunderbolt 4 port on my Mac Studio.These adapters work fine with my slim BU40N drive.

Otherwise, maybe I just got a lemon?

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Drive Information
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: PLDL337010WL
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
looks like power issue
you also have the 12v power connected to the adapter?
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
skyrider
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2026 11:01 am

Re: Unstable BDR-UD03

Post by skyrider »

Those are exactly the symptoms you get when the drive isn't receiving the minimum 0.9 A of power.
Do you have a way to connect the drive to an external enclosure for slimline optical drives?
Looking for a Pioneer 4K UHD drive?
Click here