unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
-
ChuckD74
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:25 pm
unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
I have a dell 8946 desttop with factory installed slim blu ray drive HL-DT-ST-BD-RE, I tried to use flash tool following online direction. However, cannot eject the drive after the flash. How can I determine if I trashed the drive?
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5087
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
What model drive is it and what firmware did you flash to it?ChuckD74 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:55 pm I have a dell 8946 desttop with factory installed slim blu ray drive HL-DT-ST-BD-RE, I tried to use flash tool following online direction. However, cannot eject the drive after the flash. How can I determine if I trashed the drive?
What did MakeMKV show for the drive info prior to flashing it?
What is the manufacture date and SVC code of the drive?
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
ChuckD74
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:25 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
Model: HL-DT_STMartyMcNuts wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 10:59 pmWhat model drive is it and what firmware did you flash to it?ChuckD74 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:55 pm I have a dell 8946 desttop with factory installed slim blu ray drive HL-DT-ST-BD-RE, I tried to use flash tool following online direction. However, cannot eject the drive after the flash. How can I determine if I trashed the drive?
What did MakeMKV show for the drive info prior to flashing it?
What is the manufacture date and SVC code of the drive?
Platform: MT1959
Unincrypted
SN M10LCOG4618
Firmware Date 2017-94-25
Bus encryption Flags:17
DE-LGWH16NS60.100bin
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5087
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
That info is not very helpful. Try answering the questions asked!ChuckD74 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:45 pmModel: HL-DT_STMartyMcNuts wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 10:59 pmWhat model drive is it and what firmware did you flash to it?ChuckD74 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:55 pm I have a dell 8946 desttop with factory installed slim blu ray drive HL-DT-ST-BD-RE, I tried to use flash tool following online direction. However, cannot eject the drive after the flash. How can I determine if I trashed the drive?
What did MakeMKV show for the drive info prior to flashing it?
What is the manufacture date and SVC code of the drive?
Platform: MT1959
Unincrypted
SN M10LCOG4618
Firmware Date 2017-94-25
Bus encryption Flags:17
DE-LGWH16NS60.100bin
HL-DT-ST is the make, not the model.
The manufacture date and SVC code are on the label stuck to the drive.
Did you make not of the MakeMKV drive info & liberdrive info sections BEFORE flashing the drive?
I'm asking for this info as from the description of your issue you have likely either:
1. Flashed an incompatible drive (possibly older, MT1939 drive platform)
2. Flashed a slim drive with desktop firmware or vice-versa.
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
ChuckD74
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:25 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
I apoligize, I am a bit of a novice at this.
I didnot make a copy of the firmware before flashing the drive.
It is an original installed slim internal drive ATA HL-DT-ST
I tried to flashed it to the recommended version following the "all you need" instructions.
I remember the flasher encryted box had an red X in it. So I assumed it meant the firmware was not encrypted.
The drive shows up in device manager.
However, the eject command does not eject the drive caddy nor does eject work with the makemkv app.
Im trying to see if I bricked the drive and need to buy a new one. I have limited knowledge on the hardware side of things. I know how to open the desktop; and I have upgraded the ssd.
I didnot make a copy of the firmware before flashing the drive.
It is an original installed slim internal drive ATA HL-DT-ST
I tried to flashed it to the recommended version following the "all you need" instructions.
I remember the flasher encryted box had an red X in it. So I assumed it meant the firmware was not encrypted.
The drive shows up in device manager.
However, the eject command does not eject the drive caddy nor does eject work with the makemkv app.
Im trying to see if I bricked the drive and need to buy a new one. I have limited knowledge on the hardware side of things. I know how to open the desktop; and I have upgraded the ssd.
-
ChuckD74
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:25 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
I posted the wrong screenshot (see attached). Attached is the original firmware before I attempted to flash. I was not able to uninstall the drive tonight to copy the model #, it was originally installed by dell. I tried to flash the firmware using the interal slim recommendation on the all you need firmware pack. Looking at it know Im wondering if I should have picked one of the external options.
Tried to Screenshot: this is what the original sdflasher displayed: HL-DT-BD-RE_BU40N_A103212012011435_M10LCG4618
Tried to Screenshot: this is what the original sdflasher displayed: HL-DT-BD-RE_BU40N_A103212012011435_M10LCG4618
Last edited by ChuckD74 on Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5087
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
You cannot attach screenshots/images here. You can upload them somewhere else though and link to them here.ChuckD74 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:49 am I posted the wrong screenshot (see attached). Attached is the original firmware before I attempted to flash. I was not able to uninstall the drive tonight to copy the model #, it was originally installed by dell. I tried to flash the firmware using the interal slim recommendation on the all you need firmware pack. Looking at it know Im wondering if I should have picked one of the external options.
Tried to Screenshot: this is what the original sdflasher displayed: HL-DT-BD-RE_BU40N_A103212012011435_M10LCG4618
From what I can gather, you have a BU40N (slim) drive? and you have flashed it with 5.25" desktop firmware (WH16NS60 1.00)? Is this correct? If so, it should be recoverable and you can follow the steps below.
If the drive currently has WH16NS60 1.00 firmware installed, do the following:
1. Run SDFtool Flasher and select the drive
2. Select RECOVER
3. In the popup window select WH16NS60 1.00 (or whatever the current firmware version installed on the drive is)
4. In the normal firmware selection drop down box, choose BU40N 1.00
5. Press START
The process takes about 30 seconds but once completed, the tool will say "Ready...." and your drive should be recovered to BU40N 1.00 firmware.
What I don't understand is if you started with a BU40N on unencrypted firmware, why did you not just flash it straight to BU40N 1.00 firmware? Just doesn't make any sense to me...
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
ChuckD74
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:25 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
Obviously I did something wrong! getting an error message 0xff05c203. Im going to start over and just purchase a new drive. Any recommendations as to where to purchase a slim 9mm internal drive BD-RE or UHD-BD_RE drive?
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5087
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: unable to eject blu ray drive after flashing
Make sure there is no disc in the drive!ChuckD74 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 11:35 pm Obviously I did something wrong! getting an error message 0xff05c203. Im going to start over and just purchase a new drive. Any recommendations as to where to purchase a slim 9mm internal drive BD-RE or UHD-BD_RE drive?
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com