Buffalo ext drive will not open after Firmware flash

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Peabody111
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:42 pm

Buffalo ext drive will not open after Firmware flash

Post by Peabody111 »

I did the Libre Drive flash on my Buffalo external drive yesterday and it said everything was successful but today when I go to use the drive nothing I do will make the drive door open . Not restarting pc not using pin hole to force eject . Any ideas?
Sayaka
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: Buffalo ext drive will not open after Firmware flash

Post by Sayaka »

Which firmware did you flash ? Is it a 5.25 drive or a slim drive ? Power it off immediately and, preferably, also make sure it's not plugged in. You might have flashed the wrong kind of firmware and in that case, you need to make sure the drive doesn't get any power until we recover it.
Peabody111
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:42 pm

Re: Buffalo ext drive will not open after Firmware flash

Post by Peabody111 »

Yes I’m pretty sure I flashed the wrong firmware .
It’s a BRXL-16U3
It’s currently unplugged
I went to Buffalo web site but no firmware is available there .
Sayaka
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: Buffalo ext drive will not open after Firmware flash

Post by Sayaka »

Peabody111 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:02 pm Yes I’m pretty sure I flashed the wrong firmware .
It’s a BRXL-16U3
It’s currently unplugged
I went to Buffalo web site but no firmware is available there .
If you are using SDFtool Flasher, plug the drive back in and try doing a RECOVER Drive, selecting the "wrong" firmware that you flashed in the pop-up window (this is VERY important), then click on the lower drop-down menu and select DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.02_MK.bin (the firmware you should flash - this will hopefully "repair" your drive and make it LibreDrive-compatible and UHD-compatible) from MartyMcNuts' All You Need Firmware Pack (see this thread) : viewtopic.php?t=22896

If it fails on Windows, or if you are using a Mac or Linux, let me know and we'll try the command line instead.