Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BigPines

Re: Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Post by BigPines »

LordNimon wrote:Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. Even the scene before it where the off-road car bounces back on track, the sound is perfectly in sync.
Perhaps we have different versions of the BD disc? I am using the 2D disc that came with the 3D version of the film. I assumed they would use the same 2D version but maybe they didn't. The name of my disc is CARS2_D1.

Mike
ignite

Post by ignite »

Ok this might be a stupid question but if making a backup of my blu rays would negate the problem of audio sync is there a player available for mac? Or god forbid PC (only joking PC s are good too!)
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

ignite wrote:Ok this might be a stupid question but if making a backup of my blu rays would negate the problem of audio sync is there a player available for mac? Or god forbid PC (only joking PC s are good too!)
Easy...Navigate to the /BDMV/STREAM directory in the back-up. Find the largest .m2ts file which should be your feature film (unless the disc uses seamless branching). This file should open with VLC which is a free media player.

Mike
ignite

Post by ignite »

Right ok thanks, but this was what I thought I could avoid. The problem is the seamless branching hats causing me the problems. I thought if I could just make a backup and then play the backup it would work as if I had just put the blu ray in a player and hey presto audio sync issue gone. Granted I'd have to go through the menus etc but at least it would be a synced copy rather than the MKV which gradually drifted through the film.

But thank you for the advice.
ignite

Post by ignite »

BigPines wrote:
ignite wrote:er..yes please is "virtual machine" a way of running windows programs on a mac?

actually id probably drive you bonkers with my lack of knowledge!
It is OK. We all start with the same amount of knowledge. Yes, Fusion allows you to run Windows, Linux or Mac OS X virtually on Intel OS X: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

It is very handy.

Mike
thanks, does this mean I need to install a windows OS too?
LordNimon

Post by LordNimon »

ignite wrote:thanks, does this mean I need to install a windows OS too?
Yes.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

ignite wrote:Right ok thanks, but this was what I thought I could avoid. The problem is the seamless branching hats causing me the problems. I thought if I could just make a backup and then play the backup it would work as if I had just put the blu ray in a player and hey presto audio sync issue gone. Granted I'd have to go through the menus etc but at least it would be a synced copy rather than the MKV which gradually drifted through the film.

But thank you for the advice.
The reason it won't work with seamless branching is because the film is comprised of multiple m2ts files (sometimes a lot of them) so you would have to find all the correct parts of the film (which could be difficult) and manually stitch them back together in the correct order with some kind of tool. The only one I know of that will work for doing this in OS X is tsMuxer. MKVtools and MKVtoolnix may be able to do the same thing but I haven't tried them. This process can definitely be done but it can get complicated very quickly.

I don't know of any OS X application that can play a BD structure including the Java menus. If anyone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it. I hear you can play an entire BD rip on Popcorn Hour but I have never done that before so I don't know how well that works.

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Big Pine
The reason it won't work with seamless branching is because the film is comprised of multiple m2ts files (sometimes a lot of them) so you would have to find all the correct parts of the film (which could be difficult) and manually stitch them back together in the correct order with some kind of tool. The only one I know of that will work for doing this in OS X is tsMuxer.

Actually, there's another program that can readily provide that information.

Perhaps you've heard of it - MakeMKV ;>}
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:Actually, there's another program that can readily provide that information.

Perhaps you've heard of it - MakeMKV ;>}
Your post doesn't really warrant a response but...Maybe I should have said the only ones I know of that can do it CORRECTLY. I was also talking about a manual process not an automatic one like MakeMKV. Have you read the title of this thread? People are looking for an alternative because MakeMKV doesn't always handle seamless branching correctly.

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Big Pine

Whether you think my post is "worthy" of your response, I'll tell you (as at least one other member, "Lord Nimon" has), I've had no such problem with either a Full Disc backup of my "Cars 2" (Disc ID CARS2_D1, just like yours) or the .MKV I made directly from that backup - without involving any other software or demuxing, or remuxing...

BigPines

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:@Big Pine

Whether you think my post is "worthy" of your response, I'll tell you (as at least one other member, "Lord Nimon" has), I've had no such problem with either a Full Disc backup of my "Cars 2" (Disc ID CARS2_D1, just like yours) or the .MKV I made directly from that backup - without involving any other software or demuxing, or remuxing...

Thank you. That is useful information. I have the 2D version that came with the USA 3D package. The labels is CARS2_D1. I am assuming it is the same as yours. Can you confirm if you have the USA 3D version? What OS are you on? What version of MakeMKV?

As I'm sure you are aware, just because one user is not having a problem (or doesn't notice the problem) doesn't mean that another user cannot be having the problem. I would just like to get to the bottom of this.

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Big Pines

I'm delighted that you've judged my last post to be useful ;>}

You may have noticed in my last post, that I made my .MKV directly (No EAC3to, demuxing, muxing etc.) from my Full Disc MakeMKV rip. I'd suggest you try the same thing and see if your problem remains...

(Gosh, I sure hope you deem my suggestion to be worth your while...)

Bye.

BigPines

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:@Big Pines

I'm delighted that you've judged my last post to be useful ;>}

You may have noticed in my last post, that I made my .MKV directly (No EAC3to, demuxing, muxing etc.) from my Full Disc MakeMKV rip. I'd suggest you try the same thing and see if your problem remains...

(Gosh, I sure hope you deem my suggestion to be worth your while...)

Bye.

It is funny to me that the creator of MakeMKV has set aside this specific place in their forum to report errors/bugs with certain discs but some people seem to be waiting to pounce on anyone who reports a problem and harass them - like somehow they are betraying a loyalty to the application. Just to get the facts straight:

- I am not an idiot. I know what I am doing and I know when I am having a problem with an application. I have ripped over 100 BDs using this app and experienced very few problems (but have had some). I am also a software engineer by trade and I am good at troubleshooting problems.

- I am not trying to put down MakeMKV. I think it is a great app. In fact, I think it is the best app for ripping Blu-rays on OS X. Otherwise, I wouldn't be trying to use it. However, I don't think it is a perfect app. I am trying to make it better by finding a pattern in this problem so we can get the developers of the app to fix it. I assure you MakeMKV has more than one unexplained and even undiscovered bug. That doesn't mean it is a bad app (and it doesn't mean the users are crazy). It is just the nature of software development.

- I found a very real and reproducible problem with the way MakeMVK handles my Cars 2 disc and I suspect it is related to seamless branching. I ripped the movie twice directly from the disc without using eac3to, demuxing, muxing, etc. In both cases, the audio was out of sync. The only reason I moved to using eac3to is because I was looking to solve the problem I was having with MakeMKV. Guess what? It did solve the problem and it does prove in the very least that MakeMKV handles seamless branching differently than (and in this case not as well as) eac3to. This is valuable information that the developers of the app may want to know so they can fix it.

- I posted to this thread for two basic reasons: 1) To collect useful information and experience from other users and see if I could find a pattern in the problem. 2) To alert the developers of the app that they have a problem that may warrant looking into.

- I appreciate those that have taken the time to report that they are not having a problem with Cars 2. This is definitely valuable information. The next step in troubleshooting is to find out why I am having a problem and they are not. The obvious main differences that may exist are: 1) My version of the app or OS is different and that somehow affects this issue. 2) My version of the disc is different. 3) Those who reported not having the problem may actually have the problem but may not be able to easily see it. I am trying to keep an open mind and I haven't jumped to any conclusions yet but I am leaning toward #2.

setrarip_old, I am happy for you that your Cars 2 disc does not exhibit the same behavior with MakeMKV that mine does. I suspect you have a slightly different version of the disc despite the name/label being the same. Wanna trade discs? That may solve my entire problem. :)

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I ripped the movie twice directly from the disc without using eac3to, demuxing, muxing, etc. In both cases, the audio was out of sync.

That's sounds like, regarding the procedure I suggested, you used MakeMKV to create a "movie-only" backup, rather than, as I stipulated, a Full Disc backup, to be used as your source for then using it with MakeMKV to create an .MKV.

If I'm correct in my interpretation of what you've done, I'd one last time suggest that you try the following:

You may have noticed in my last post, that I made my .MKV directly (No EAC3to, demuxing, muxing etc.) from my Full Disc MakeMKV rip. I'd suggest you try the same thing and see if your problem remains.

And, if the problem does remain, the simplest suggestion would be to exchange your disc(set) for a new one at the place of purchase.

ignite

Post by ignite »

I've had the same issue on a number of rips too. After reading the suggestions above I tried a full rip etc but still ended up with the same problem unfortunately.

Mind you I have to be honest and say I didn't expect it to work as it is after all just mirror of the original disk?