Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended DVD Correct Title & Forced Subs?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Gorgonite

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended DVD Correct Title & Forced Subs?

Post by Gorgonite »

Hi All,

I'm currently ripping LOTR The Two Towers extended edition DVD which is spread across two disks.
In all my rips I aim for one full track of English subtitles and one track for forced subtitles (if the movie has non-English speech parts)
Unlike the first movie which had consistent title numbering across disks and two separate subtitle tracks per title, this movie is causing me grief.

I've got:

Disk 1
Contains 5 titles B1,C1,D1,E1,F1
Each title contains an English subtitles track, although in C1,D1,E1 and F1 they are empty. This is the full English subs.

Disk 2
Contains 5 titles A1,B1,C1,D1,E1
Each title contains an English subtitles track, although in B1,C1,D1 and E1 they are empty. This is the full English subs.

There is no subset of forced subs on either disk
I THINK title B1 on D1 and A1 on D2 are correct but they only come with a full set of English subs, no forced track like in LOTR1.
None of the titles have hardcoded subs either.
(FYI i think the first example of foreign language is the elvish speech at 04:32 on D2)

So which titles should i use and how to i get my precious forced subs?

Thankyou

P.s. i dont know how to provide a screenshot or log of makemkv hence described
Last edited by Gorgonite on Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorgonite

Re: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended DVD Correct Title & Forced Subs?

Post by Gorgonite »

Ok i think i solved it. Heres what i did for future reference:

I ripped title B1 from D1 and A1 from D2
I took the one and only subtitle track from both titles above.
Optional: I then opened each file in subtitleEdit, loaded the subtitle track and ticked the "Show only forced subtitles" box at the bottom. This was only to identify that there were subtitles in the main body that had a forced flag next to them.
I then joined the two files in MKVtoolnix
Encoded the single complete file in Handbrake. In the subtitles tab i loaded the single subtitle track twice. i left everything empty for the first line and selected "Forced Only" for the second line. After the encode was done i had two subtitle tracks in the completed movie - one for the full ennglish subs and another just for the forced parts
Optional: I then finished off by loading the encoded file back into MKVtoolnix, set the first subtitle track to Yes under default (the full subs track that is) and set the forced track to Yes under Forced flag. Muxed that and i think ive got a perfect movie now just how i want it.

EDIT i missed the option to set the first subtitle track as default in Handbrake meaning the final step in MKVtoolnix wouldnt be required