What are you all using to create blu ray menus?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
JCE3000GT

What are you all using to create blu ray menus?

Post by JCE3000GT »

Hi all. I've got a bunch of TV show box sets that I'd like to put on blu ray discs to combine multiple DVDs into fewer blu ray discs. Once I rip them from the DVD discs with MakeMKV what software do you all recommend to create the blu rays with menus (that isn't named Adobe)?

Moderators, please let me know if this topic is in the wrong forum.
d00zah

Re: What are you all using to create blu ray menus?

Post by d00zah »

JCE3000GT wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:29 pm
Hi all. I've got a bunch of TV show box sets that I'd like to put on blu ray discs to combine multiple DVDs into fewer blu ray discs. Once I rip them from the DVD discs with MakeMKV what software do you all recommend to create the blu rays with menus (that isn't named Adobe)?

Many have moved beyond creating physical discs. Network storage devices & personal media server software like Emby / Plex / Jellyfin create a much more flexible / extensible experience (IMO).

Series (Small).jpg
Series (Small).jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 738 times
Season (Small).jpg
Season (Small).jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 738 times

Clearly not what you had in mind. Consider it food for thought.
JCE3000GT

Post by JCE3000GT »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:01 pm
JCE3000GT wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:29 pm

Many have moved beyond creating physical discs. Network storage devices & personal media server software like Emby / Plex / Jellyfin create a much more flexible / extensible experience (IMO).

Series (Small).jpg

Season (Small).jpg

Clearly not what you had in mind. Consider it food for thought.
I appreciate the suggestion. I do have plans to have a media server on my network as well. Of those you mentioned what are some pros and cons? I'd dig it if it had an interface that easily allow me to navigate through shows and episodes in a pseudo streaming service format with little data management on my end. My free time is very limited and ripping hundreds of discs (1,000+ most likely) is going to be quite the undertaking!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My free time is very limited and ripping hundreds of discs (1,000+ most likely) is going to be quite the undertaking!
Automation is your friend. :) As well as batch processing.

A lot depends on your desires. d00zah method shows one aspect of dealing with multiple series/movies. Mine is simpler, because my needs are less. I simply encode (using handbrake) the various series into directories to keep them separate, and use whatever my player has for managing them, be it VLC or ViMu or ???.

The encoding is to save space - raw disk output from MakeMKV is 3 to 10 times as much space as you can get after processing through handbrake, with little or no obvious reduction in quality. It just takes time to encode, but that's time your computer spends, not you personally. When I did the various Star Trek series, my computer was busy for over a week continuous.

Directory layout make it relatively easy to find stuff with the remote control. It becomes more important when your get over a few hundred series.

Tools like d00zah mentioned can sit on top of the simplified structure I use, giving you all the convenience of a professional service, without the expense.
JCE3000GT

Post by JCE3000GT »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:18 pm
My free time is very limited and ripping hundreds of discs (1,000+ most likely) is going to be quite the undertaking!
Automation is your friend. :) As well as batch processing.

A lot depends on your desires. d00zah method shows one aspect of dealing with multiple series/movies. Mine is simpler, because my needs are less. I simply encode (using handbrake) the various series into directories to keep them separate, and use whatever my player has for managing them, be it VLC or ViMu or ???.

The encoding is to save space - raw disk output from MakeMKV is 3 to 10 times as much space as you can get after processing through handbrake, with little or no obvious reduction in quality. It just takes time to encode, but that's time your computer spends, not you personally. When I did the various Star Trek series, my computer was busy for over a week continuous.

Directory layout make it relatively easy to find stuff with the remote control. It becomes more important when your get over a few hundred series.

Tools like d00zah mentioned can sit on top of the simplified structure I use, giving you all the convenience of a professional service, without the expense.
Good stuff thank you.