Failure to open ripped folder

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
CrazyGuy207

Failure to open ripped folder

Post by CrazyGuy207 »

First time posting, I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong board.
I used MakeMKV to make a backup of a blu-ray disc like I usually do. The process completed with no problems, but now an issue I haven't seen before comes up. When I try to open the folder in HandBrake, it tells me "No Valid Source or Titles found". I ripped a season of a series, and all other discs in the box open like normal. When I try to open the folder in CyberLink Media Suite 16, it won't open in there either. However, when I try to open it in VLC, it'll play the videos with no issue. What's going on here? Should I re-rip the disc? I'd rather not convert these files in VLC, for consistencies sake. Is the issue with the disc, handbrake, or makemkv?
Thank you in advance.
Ezatoka

Re: Failure to open ripped folder

Post by Ezatoka »

What kind of files and/or folders are in the output directory?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Does MakeMKV open the backup successfully?

My typical workflow is to make a decrypted backup of a disc, open the backup in MakeMKV and create the .mkv files I'm interested in, then, optionally, transcode the .mkv files with Handbrake.
CrazyGuy207

Post by CrazyGuy207 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:44 pm
What kind of files and/or folders are in the output directory?
"BDMV", "CERTIFICATE", and "MAKEMKV"
CrazyGuy207

Post by CrazyGuy207 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:27 pm
Does MakeMKV open the backup successfully?

My typical workflow is to make a decrypted backup of a disc, open the backup in MakeMKV and create the .mkv files I'm interested in, then, optionally, transcode the .mkv files with Handbrake.
It usually does, but not this time. The ripped disc created the backup folder, and I can even go into the BDMV > STREAM folder to open the episodes, but HandBrake and other video apps don't seem to recognize the ripped folder/backup and won't open. I wasn't sure if this was a MakeMKV issue or with HandBrake.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Interesting. I've never encountered a case where I've successfully made a backup of a disc that MakeMKV could not then open. I almost never use VLC or Handbrake on a backup, so I have no experience with how reliable (or not) they are operating on a backup.

If you make a new backup of the problematic disc, does it also have the problem?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

what happens, if you use "Open files" in MakeMKV and let it open the index.bdmv file in the BDMV folder? Does it recognize the disk itself anymore?
CrazyGuy207

Post by CrazyGuy207 »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. MakeMKV isn't the issue here, HandBrake is. MakeMKV made the backup of my disc just fine, but HandBrake doesn't recognize it. I wasn't sure if it was an issue with which system though, as I've never seen this problem before.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Then I am afraid you should place your question at the Handbrake Forum.