Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

morbius wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:36 am
I've converted several HDR10 titles to DV using the 6-2 and 3-1 workflows and have been pleased with the results. With 6-2 I've been selecting "n" for exclude letterbox for estimating MaxFALL due to the warning about processing time. To what extent might this impact the end result? I only want to convert my library once, so don't want to take short-cuts if they are undermining final quality.
if you just use 6-2 to create a shot list for 3-1 it doesn't matter.
LV8HD wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:49 pm
Why is MaxCLL calculated with DaVinci Resolve so different than MadVR? What is the most accurate?
different algo
morbius

Post by morbius »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:29 pm
morbius wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:36 am
I've converted several HDR10 titles to DV using the 6-2 and 3-1 workflows and have been pleased with the results. With 6-2 I've been selecting "n" for exclude letterbox for estimating MaxFALL due to the warning about processing time. To what extent might this impact the end result? I only want to convert my library once, so don't want to take short-cuts if they are undermining final quality.
if you just use 6-2 to create a shot list for 3-1 it doesn't matter.
I think that's what I'm doing as I move the .bin file created by 6-2 to the folder with the mkv and then run 3-1. Or should I be doing something else?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

morbius wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:38 pm
I think that's what I'm doing as I move the .bin file created by 6-2 to the folder with the mkv and then run 3-1. Or should I be doing something else?
yes, and the madvr generated rpu is used only for its scene cuts so the cropping doesn't matter..

PS: I'm working on a GUI for DoVi_Scripts:

morbius

Post by morbius »

the GUI looks really cool!

While at present I am focusing on adding DV to my HDR10 files, can I regenerate DV for an mkv sourced from an FEL disc? I dislike the way some of the Star Trek films look, e.g. First Contact. Is there a way of pushing something like First Contact through a workflow that might improve on the published DV while keeping the FEL? Or am I likely to end up with no real improvement?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Yes you can use the script transfer function workflow (2-3) but it's not an easy task because those movies expand brightness so you have to bake fel to prores first(8-2-3), and then run the CM analysis with the baked fel prores file. (3-1 doesn't bake fel when you input P7). If you don't bake fel for the analysis, then you cannot keep FEL.

You also have to use original scene cuts and once completed you transfer levels: 1-2-3-8-9.... You might not be able to transfer all the levels in one workflow, inspect your metadata after to make sure everything has been transferred.

Before doing that you might want to test my original P7 rpu with CMV4.0 bloc added (from PMTP):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
morbius

Post by morbius »

thanks, so re-doing from scratch is a lot of work, I think I'll pass. But if I demux my mkv to BL and EL hevc files, I can rebuild with your updated rpu, would that be via workflow 1?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

you dont have to demux the layers. You can inject directly into the P7 mkv rip.
Perhaps check the scene cuts with 2-1 in case you have a bluray with different timing.