Problem ripping UHD to external USB HDD?

Everything related to MakeMKV
mwebb

Problem ripping UHD to external USB HDD?

Post by mwebb »

This is on Windows 10: Is it normal for makemkv to fail with internal errors if ripping a UHD to an external USB hard disc? The drive in questions passes chkdsk fine and seem perfectly writeable when copied to from Windows file manager. If I point makemkv output to the external drive then fails with makemkv internal errors every time, however point output to internal SATA hard disc and it works fine. I'm just trying this out with an eye to a future upgrade, however I'm quite surprised it makes a difference. Any ideas as to wha's going on gratefully accepted.

Thank you.
jinx100

Re: Problem ripping UHD to external USB HDD?

Post by jinx100 »

Is your optical drive internal or external? If they are both external, they might be sharing power and starving the optical drive. Try using a USB 3 for the optical and USB 2 for portable HDD.

I use a portable HDD for all my rips without any problems.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I've occasionally seen other posts on this forum about failures when the output folder is on an external drive. It is not very wide spread, but it does occasionally seem to happen. Personally, I rip everything to an external drive and have zero issues with it.

My guess is it has something to do with either the USB chipset on the motherboard or the USB chipset on the external hard drive or some combination of the two.

In your case, is it only when ripping a UHD? Do regular blu-rays and DVDs work fine?
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

jinx100 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:17 pm
they might be sharing power
Yes, a very goodpoint. Thank you.

Both external, however the optical drive is a full height Pioneer in a powered OWC enclosure so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also rip fine to the internal HDD with the external HDD plugged in and online (though I guess using less energy than being constatly written to).
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:18 pm
Do regular blu-rays and DVDs work fine?
Good questions. I'll need to check that out. It's NUC8i7 and I had the external HDD plugged into one of the front facing ports which say SS10 on them.
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

I can copy to the external HDD and rip to the internal HDD at the same time, no problem. Some NUC chipset sadness then, I guess?
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

Regular Blu-ray seems to rip fine to the external HDD apparently.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The internet suggests there are two front ports on an Intel NUC8i7, one is orange with 'charging support' and one is blue. Does the failure happen on both ports? There's also back panel ports, including a back panel Thunderbolt 3, Type C connector. That Type C connector on the back is undoubtedly using a different chipset than the regular USB ports. Does the failure happen when connected to the Type C connector? And finally, do you have something else external that you could try to save to? Even a relatively cheap USB stick that is properly formatted would be an interesting test.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/NUC8i3BE_NUC8i5BE_NUC8i7BE_TechProdSpec.pdf
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

Further testing has positively indicated that the blu-ray drive plays up and won't always read properly when the HDD is plugged into one of the other type A ports. Presumably a current related issue serving all of the ports, even though the the blu-ray drive has it's own power. I've given up on that avenue.

I can't get the C/Thunderbolt port to recognize the HDD though the light does come on the HDD enclosure when plugged in. Turning the Thunderbolt controller on or off in the BIOS makes no difference. I followd a link to download legacy Windows 10 Thunderbolt drivers which I though might be the issue, though when I try to install those it says a new version is already installed.

I think I'm just going to give up on the entire external HDD thing as everything works perfectly using the internal HDD in the tall NUC. I know a NUC 8 is long in the tooth, but I'm quite surprised it's this un-functional re: external devices.