Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

I'm using the values provided by MediaInfo, is that correct?
yes
One point in this workflow that does not have an automatic option is the prompt for the Mastering Display choice
it's because I prefer selecting MDL based on the content's actual brightness.
morbius

Post by morbius »

you've done amazing work with the toolset, I was happy to make a donation. I just watched my HDR10 copy of Inception after it had been processed via the 3-1 workflow, and found it to be transformed. I've been quite careful in my picture mode configuration on my main OLED display to configure the settings for HDR10 using a Spears and Munsil test pattern, but even with HDR10 dialled in using that test, the DV conversion was so much better.

Is it the case that even with MEL, the DV processing by the display affects how colours are rendered, it's not just about shot-by-shot contrast?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Yes, shot-by-shot metadata will have a bigger impact when the content is brighter than what your TV can do and Inception constantly peaks over 1000nits and it's quite a saturated color grade (too much in my taste).
When the colors are brighter than your TV capabilities, they can look slightly desaturated in HDR10. The generated metadata does not change the contrast and colors, they are just compressed better in DV because the TV knows the shot brightness in advance, it can compress the highlights and gamut much more accurately than a static tone mapping curve which is what you are noticing.

For content within your TV dynamic range, you wont see much difference with HDR10 (assuming your TV is correctly calibrated)

deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

@RESET_9999

Any idea why I get this error when dragging HDR10 bluray version into 6-2? I'm trying to verify the HDR10 vs DV brightness of Kingdom of The Planet of The Apes 2024 before the transfer.

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Sometimes madVR fails to read the file and it usually happens with TS/M2TS files. It can happen with mkv files but it's rare. I had no issue measuring my mkv remux though so there might be something going with your rip. Anyway, I already verified this movie: https://slow.pics/c/XaJrQYFA
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:20 am
so there might be something going with your rip. Anyway, I already verified this movie: https://slow.pics/c/XaJrQYFA
Should I still use that rip then?

Btw, I just plotted my DV web version and the brightness doesn't look similar to the hdr10 pic you posted at all:

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mine has both, brightness measurement and dv plot.
morbius

Post by morbius »

I've just acquired the Italian DV release of John Wick 2. I notice a few differences from my UK HDR10-only version
  • audio is only DTS-HD 5.1 instead of TrueHD Atmos
  • the frame rate is 24.0 fps vs 23.976fps
  • the ornate on-screen subtitles burned in to the HDR10 video are missing from the Italian release
Before I noticed the missing subtitles, I was able to build a remux with the TrueHD track by re-clocking the Italian video fps to 23.976 in mkvtoolnix and figuring out that a delay was required on the video due to there being an extra second of black screen at the start of the UK version. But then I noticed the missing subtitles, which feature heavily in the JW films.

So now I'm thinking about how I can transfer the DV layer from my 23.976 re-clocked Italian video to the corresponding video in the UK release. Is there a workflow that will do that? And is it possible to account for the UK version having a second or so more blank screen time at the start compared to the Italian release? Appreciate any advice.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:59 am
mine has both, brightness measurement and dv plot.
What I meant was your HDR10 plot does not look similar to my DV plot

Your HDR10 plot

My DV plot
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Before I noticed the missing subtitles, I was able to build a remux with the TrueHD track by re-clocking the Italian video fps to 23.976 in mkvtoolnix
You have to change the EL framerate too and not just with the container using mkvtoolnix. You have to write a new bitstream framerate(9-2) for both layers and then build a new P7 ST-DL mkv (4-2).
But then I noticed the missing subtitles, which feature heavily in the JW films.
english subtitles for the Italian BD: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
So now I'm thinking about how I can transfer the DV layer from my 23.976 re-clocked Italian video to the corresponding video in the UK release
No, you can't do that.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:09 am
DV plot can look slightly different because:
1- different algo
2- dolby has tunings that produce different metadata
3- dolby can blend and copy metadata from one shot to another which is what they did in this movie.

If you want to compare the brightness of both releases, you have to run them in 6-2 as I did.
P5 in 6-2 is slow though.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:31 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:09 am
DV plot can look slightly different because:
1- different algo
2- dolby has tunings that produce different metadata
3- dolby can blend and copy metadata from one shot to another which is what they did in this movie.

If you want to compare the brightness of both releases, you have to run them in 6-2 as I did.
P5 in 6-2 is slow though.
Yes I ran it in 6-2 and got the above plot. Looks very different, not slightly. I did another movie before and HDR10 and DV plot looked quite similar. This one not at all.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:57 am
Yes I ran it in 6-2 and got the above plot. Looks very different, not slightly. I did another movie before and HDR10 and DV plot looked quite similar. This one not at all.
No, the image you posted is from 6-3 or 6-4, not 6-2. 6-2 measure the pixels with madvr and 6-3/6-4 just plot the L1 metadata.
the P5 webdl and HDR10 BD in 6-2 look like this comparison: https://slow.pics/c/wQzSIwSH

a p5 webdl in 6-2 madvr takes longer to process because for some reason, madmeasureHDR.exe won't accept a libplacebo avisynth script as input so the script has to convert to prores but it's the most accurate way to compare DVP5 and HDR10.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:07 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:57 am
No, the image you posted is from 6-3 or 6-4, not 6-2. 6-2 measure the pixels with madvr and 6-3/6-4 just plot the L1 metadata.
the P5 webdl and HDR10 BD in 6-2 look like this comparison: https://slow.pics/c/wQzSIwSH

a p5 webdl in 6-2 madvr takes longer to process because for some reason, madmeasureHDR.exe won't accept a libplacebo avisynth script as input so the script has to convert to prores but it's the most accurate way to compare DVP5 and HDR10.
Yeah sorry that one is from 6-3. I followed your tutorial: run 6-2 with bluray version to get HDR10 plot, and run 6-3 with web version to get DV plot, then compare the two plots. Isn't that correct?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yes but as i said, dolby has different tunings and can have blended shots which can be misleading sometimes. If you want to see the true brightness difference between two releases, you have to use 6-2.
Also you have to use the P5 webdl and not the P8 version as your picture shows.