Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
OldSenileGuy

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by OldSenileGuy »

Gotcha - I watched that video and saw in the description how to get access - I'm going on a trip soon but I might take you up on that when I get back.

In more general terms - my Plex library has a lot of Dolby Vision encodes (ie - not Remuxes) in it that are labeled as UHD Blu Ray rips and DoVi profile 8. But then when I look at the specs for the Blu Ray release, it's a FEL release.

I'm not sure if there's any way to know this, but in general, are these encoder groups just converting the base layer to profile 8 and throwing away the enhancement layer data? Or are they smart enough to actually be baking the FEL into the BL?

EDIT: And a corollary to that last question - if i'm looking at screenshot comparisons from your Google Doc, and if I don't see ANY difference between the stills in a BD FEL VS BL comparison, does that mean it's likely ok if an encoder ditched the FEL and just went with the BL? In this example, I'm looking at Pulp Fiction, and I don't see a single difference between the two stills.

It looks like Pulp Fiction's FEL is only 3847 kbps. Does the bitrate of the FEL generally correlate to how "important" it is? IE - this relatively low bitrate FEL isn't doing much and can probably safely be thrown out, whereas the much higher 13877 kbps bitrate of The Truman Show means it's far more important to make sure the FEL is properly dealt with and not thrown away. Is that correct?
daffie

Post by daffie »

OldSenileGuy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:58 pm
Or are they smart enough to actually be baking the FEL into the BL?
I highly doubt that.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I've listed the groups that bake FEL and those that don't. I did not check all of them but most didn't encode FEL to P8 correctly.
does that mean it's likely ok if an encoder ditched the FEL and just went with the BL?
yes
It looks like Pulp Fiction's FEL is only 3847 kbps. Does the bitrate of the FEL generally correlate to how "important" it is? IE - this relatively low bitrate FEL isn't doing much and can probably safely be thrown out, whereas the much higher 13877 kbps bitrate of The Truman Show means it's far more important to make sure the FEL is properly dealt with and not thrown away. Is that correct?
the EL bitrate doesn't mean much. I've seen 18mb/s EL that adds nothing to the BL.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

staknhalo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:24 pm
FonduemangVI wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:51 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:37 pm

whatever problems watching at the computer/windows platform aside - is that the best windows store dv player then outside of any official dv pcs player etc?

Framestor Mando S02E08 Hybrid UHD out of sync too - prob all the (d+ or iT/D?) stuff
I just had a chance to check Mando and I can't see any sync issue. Can you provide a particular timestamp?
I still haven't gotten to go back and check this and all the latest RPU added UHD titles I processed when noticing this yet (I also encode the base layer to 45mbps if over, so who knows if that threw it off too - but for 99% up to now it hasn't, so) - but if I recall it was near the end where Luke comes in at the elevator scene and kills the death troopers for that title.

I also noticed one slight misalignment in Baby Driver at the very start when he's waiting for the first group to get out of the bank, for a split second there's a RPU misalignment on a closeup of him looking at them from in the car, but no where else in the movie that I saw.
You can just grab the web-dl for mando and do the hybrid yourself for the last ep of s2. I also noticed it was out of sync back when I put on on my server, so I did this. Sync is fine now, checked.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

jayper wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:40 pm
DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:08 pm
Yep. Ended up figuring that out too last night. Demuxed each segment with tsmuxer, combined BL and EL with your tool and then appended them in mkvtoolnix. Really odd this happened though, I’ve never encountered an error with RPUs using makemkv and I’ve ripped so many discs.
Does MakeMKV throw an error when this happens? Or did you only notice during playback?
Didn’t even get far enough for playback. I check all my RPUs because I’ve been burned before (early framestore hybrids, yuck). But no, makemkv didn’t throw an error, so that’s not great.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

I’ve got a question for you RESET_9999 because I value your opinion a lot, I think we all do here.

Certain newer releases have lots of static metadata. For instance, Furiosa, Creed III, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. Should I go ahead and generate metadata for these films or should we respect what the colorist has done so far?

Just to test, I’ve generated metadata for all 3 of these films and the mapping is now very dynamic, but is that potentially defeating the original intent by the colorist?

Thanks.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

As long as they did the trims correctly it doesnt really matter if L1 is static and L1 values under your TV target are ignored anyway.
For example in Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, they did a crazy amount of work on the trim pass.

this is all done manually by the colorist and no generated L1 will ever be able to match this:

DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:55 am
As long as they did the trims correctly it doesnt really matter if L1 is static and L1 values under your TV target are ignored anyway.
For example in Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, they did a crazy amount of work on the trim pass.

this is all done manually by the colorist and no generated L1 will ever be able to match this:

Very interesting! Same deal for Furiosa? That one is much more static than KotPotA
FLarnhill

Post by FLarnhill »

May I have the PM for the RPU collection, please?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FLarnhill wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:23 am
May I have the PM for the RPU collection, please?
sorry this link is hidden/private. Read the video description of my Resolve tutorial to gain access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVSh3oGqfXY
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:05 am

Very interesting! Same deal for Furiosa? That one is much more static than KotPotA
not as much work as the apes but still very dynamic.

jayper

Post by jayper »

DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:54 am
jayper wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:40 pm
DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:08 pm
Yep. Ended up figuring that out too last night. Demuxed each segment with tsmuxer, combined BL and EL with your tool and then appended them in mkvtoolnix. Really odd this happened though, I’ve never encountered an error with RPUs using makemkv and I’ve ripped so many discs.
Does MakeMKV throw an error when this happens? Or did you only notice during playback?
Didn’t even get far enough for playback. I check all my RPUs because I’ve been burned before (early framestore hybrids, yuck). But no, makemkv didn’t throw an error, so that’s not great.
Forgive the likely ignorant question, but how do you check your RPUs?
valington

Post by valington »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:14 pm
I've listed the groups that bake FEL and those that don't. I did not check all of them but most didn't encode FEL to P8 correctly.
does that mean it's likely ok if an encoder ditched the FEL and just went with the BL?
yes
the EL bitrate doesn't mean much. I've seen 18mb/s EL that adds nothing to the BL.
RESET please give information how can i install ce-ng for s905x4 dune homatics for true -tv led and true dolby vision fel ? i dont have experirnce in it
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

valington wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:38 pm
RESET please give information how can i install ce-ng for s905x4 dune homatics for true -tv led and true dolby vision fel ? i dont have experirnce in it
No idea, ask on the CE forum.

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/ce-ng- ... 05x4/50953
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:53 am
You can just grab the web-dl for mando and do the hybrid yourself for the last ep of s2. I also noticed it was out of sync back when I put on on my server, so I did this. Sync is fine now, checked.
I'm just gonna realign the RPU already there with Reset's tools when I get around to it

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:55 am
Man, imagine if every movie got that much love and care :/