Dolby Vision playback via laptop via VLC Player?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
ben_uk

Dolby Vision playback via laptop via VLC Player?

Post by ben_uk »

Hey,

I wonder if I could flex the brains of some of the forum’s DV experts?

Is there a way to get VLC to play Dolby Vision titles (assuming it’s connecting to an external TV which displays DV).

I have no idea on the requirements to get this working or if it can work?

Thanks 🙏
Billycar11

Re: Dolby Vision playback via laptop via VLC Player?

Post by Billycar11 »

No not possible
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Ok is there any way to get a laptop to chuck out a DV signal to a TV?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

As I understand it, the best way to watch your MakeMKV DV rips on a TV is to get a Ugoos AM6B+ and load CoreElec onto it.

Playing DV content as it comes on a UHD (DV profile 7) requires hardware that can do specific things and software to take advantage of the hardware. This is different than playing DV streaming content from your favorite streaming platform (DV profile 5), which is much simpler.

The good folks over at CoreElec have figured out the software to take advantage of the hardware that's specifically in Ugoos AM6B+ (more specifically the implementation of the media chip at the heart of the AM6B+, the Amlogic S922X-J).

A laptop doesn't have the right hardware or software to do what is necessary to correctly play profile 7 Dolby Vision content.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:48 pm
As I understand it, the best way to watch your MakeMKV DV rips on a TV is to get a Ugoos AM6B+ and load CoreElec onto it.

Playing DV content as it comes on a UHD (DV profile 7) requires hardware that can do specific things and software to take advantage of the hardware. This is different than playing DV streaming content from your favorite streaming platform (DV profile 5), which is much simpler.

The good folks over at CoreElec have figured out the software to take advantage of the hardware that's specifically in Ugoos AM6B+ (more specifically the implementation of the media chip at the heart of the AM6B+, the Amlogic S922X-J).

A laptop doesn't have the right hardware or software to do what is necessary to correctly play profile 7 Dolby Vision content.
Never heard of the Ugoos. I googled it, such a small box and this thing plays 4K MKV files flawlessly?

Is it better than the NVidia Shield? That was the thing I was looking at getting. Again my only interest is playing 4K files via a USB hard disk.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The ugoos, with coreelec, will play all profiles of Dolby vision, including FEL. But notice we said with coreelec. It does not come with that. You have to install it. The process is a bit involved but you only do it once. I personally use PM4K, which is a Plex front end. I have Plex on my nas. This setup works perfectly.

The shield is fine but there's a couple issues. No FEL support which can impact the quality of some poorly mastered discs. And there's been no updates to the shield in over a year. It's possible Nvidia has abandoned in. It's a risk.

ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's the right model, yes. Just be aware, like I said, installing coreelec the first time is a bit involved. Once it's set up you're good to go and the pq rivals stand alone UHD players.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/guide- ... faqs/51231

bakeractive

Post by bakeractive »

If you are playing the discs directly (which gave me a lot of skipping). The short, when using VLC player you will need to change some settings.

options> video > output > OpenGL for windows
input/codecs > direct3D11
if you have NVidia add VLC to manage 3D settings .
Vsync > on
low latency > off
power management > Max
Vulcan/OpenGL method > preferred layered on DXGI swap chain

There is some great knowledge on the reddit /r htpc wiki
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:26 pm
That's the right model, yes. Just be aware, like I said, installing coreelec the first time is a bit involved. Once it's set up you're good to go and the pq rivals stand alone UHD players.

Does the Ugoos pass through digital (bitstream) audio through to a receiver?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yup