New 4K Ultra HD movie won't burn

Everything related to MakeMKV
bubbascant

New 4K Ultra HD movie won't burn

Post by bubbascant »

I have updated my Asus blu ray quite a while ago so I could burn other regions (which it does fine) and/or 4K movies. I just got a new movie released today which came from Amazon. The movie is called Red Eye, one of my favorites as corny as it is.
My Asus reports "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted."

I am now burning the blu ray disc and it completed fine. I've ripped other 4K Ultra HD movies such as Dune, The Revenant, 1917 and several others. I'm not sure why this new 4K Ultra HD won't burn.

I appreciate the help.
d00zah

Re: New 4K Ultra HD movie won't burn

Post by d00zah »

Suggested reading: UHD FAQ
bubbascant

Post by bubbascant »

Thank you so much for your reply.

Here's what I've done since yesterday.
I updated to version 1.17.7 for Windows
I checked settings in preferences and all were as suggested on the document link.
After updating and checking settings, I did not reboot my computer (but will just to see), but I tried burning the 4K Ultra HD and it's still reporting the error. I am attaching the .tqz file.

As I mentioned, several movies with the 4K UltraHD were successfully burned using my Asus BW-16D-1HT 3.10.

Here are settings under LibreDrive

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

MakeMKV shows this for the disc

Disc Information
Label: Red Eye (Remastered)
Timestamp: 2022-12-28 01:03:09
Protection: AACS2.0/C v77
Data capacity: 55.41 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 2
Bus encryption flags: 80

Thank you!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

You haven't shown us the MakeMKV output (bottom pane, copy/paste), so it's hard to say.

Have you emailed the dump to svq@makemkv.com ?

You MIGHT be experiencing a common problem detailed in the linked topic:

Fixing Volume Key is Unknown

Do you see the following in MakeMKV output?
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

FYI there is also this thread.
bubbascant

Post by bubbascant »

Here is what is at the bottom after not successfully burning the 4K UltraHD disc

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Using direct disc access mode
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Name/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Red_Eye_(Remastered)_3396.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

And yes, I attached the file shown above from the C: drive it was saved to.

Your question: Do you see the following in MakeMKV output? Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.

NO, I did not see that.

Not sure what to do next. As I said, other 4K UltraHD movies - Dune, Mission Impossible (latest one), Revenant, and several others burned successfully without any issue.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

bubbascant wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:53 pm
Here is what is at the bottom after not successfully burning the 4K UltraHD disc

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Using direct disc access mode
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Name/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Red_Eye_(Remastered)_3396.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

And yes, I attached the file shown above from the C: drive it was saved to.

Your question: Do you see the following in MakeMKV output? Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.

NO, I did not see that.

Not sure what to do next. As I said, other 4K UltraHD movies - Dune, Mission Impossible (latest one), Revenant, and several others burned successfully without any issue.
All good to know. Thank you. Once a (unique) dump is submitted, it can take up to 2 weeks to be processed. @MrPenguin refers to an extra-MakeMKV procedure which can speed things up. It got a mention at the end of the UHD FAQ. Or just wait until the key becomes available.

edit:

- Exit MakeMKV.
- Download the latest KEYDB.cfg
- Save KEYDB.cfg to the same directory that contained your dump... C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx/.MakeMKV
- Restart MakeMKV & try the problem disc again
bubbascant

Post by bubbascant »

I followed your instructions.
I closed MakeMKV.
I went to the website and saw a list of the downloads for keydb.cfg and grabbed the one in English and saved it to the location for MKV where the .tzg file for the movie was located. There is now the keydb.cfg file that I got from the zip file on the link for the English download.
I reopened MakeMKV.
I then did the usual where I clicked so the disc would be read.
This time MakeMKV read through the disc and things looked like it does for most all movies or TV series being burned. After it finished doing the review as it's bringing in the disc, I now see the list for things to choose from (where I select the audio, subtitles, and so forth). I now have the ability to burn the 4K UltraHD and it's in the process of doing so as I type this reply.

Your instruction seemed to do the trick because before, it would fail with this: The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

As I said, that was before I did what you instructed. The rip is moving right along. I'm hoping this works. It sure seems to be. And this is the exact outcome I had with other 4K UltraHD discs I burned. This new disc was just released (I put a pre-order in on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and just got it) so that's probably why (though I don't understand how all that works).

Thank you SO much. I'll let you know the outcome in a bit - hoping it finishes successfully!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

bubbascant wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:49 pm
Thank you SO much. I'll let you know the outcome in a bit - hoping it finishes successfully!
Please understand that this is just an alternate method of providing the 'unknown volume key' MakeMKV is looking for. It won't always work this way.

If you email the dump MakeMKV produces (MKB20_v77_Red_Eye_(Remastered)_3396.tgz) to svq@makemkv.com , Mike, the author, would have eventually generated the key & it would have been automatically downloaded. There is no other acknowledgement. It can take a while. Patience.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

bubbascant wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:32 pm
My Asus reports "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted."
I've written before about the general process of hashed keys, dumps, and 4K UHDs: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156849#p156849

As d00zah rightly points outs, downloading the KEYDB.cfg file is an alternative method for MakeMKV to be able to decrypt the disc.
bubbascant

Post by bubbascant »

The 4K UltraHD completed successfully after following the instructions to put the keydb.cfg in the .Make MKV folder from the download link I was provided.

Thank you SO much for your guidance. It worked great.

Really, really appreciate it.