Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
lordbatwing

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023 - Confirming Steps for BRUHD-PU3-BK

Post by lordbatwing »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:26 am
There's really no need to ever include the boot loader unless you've royally screwed up a flash.
Thank you @MartyMcNuts. I also went ahead and flashed it to `BU40N 1.03-MK` using the guidance in this post.

Thanks for the help!

Old Specs:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: BU14
Serial number: MO2N5DA3110
Firmware date: 2121-06-21 13:30
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
New Specs:

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: MO2N5DA3110
Firmware date: 2118-10-24 19:34
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
T-Bird

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Post by T-Bird »

Hello

Is it possible to flash this one if the firmware is older than December 2022? Pioneer BDR-212EBK.
What tools and software do i need, if so?

Greetings
joshrogers117

Post by joshrogers117 »

Drive Information
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XS07U
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: SJDL003667JP
Firmware date: 2019-01-07
Bus encryption flags: 1B

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8E21
Firmware version: ID69

No disc inserted
I have this older version Pioneer slim drive that I was hoping would work due to older firmware...does it need to be updated to 1.01 or 1.02 to enable LibreDrive...if so, how do I do this as I don't see any Pioneer FW in the "All You Need FW Pack"

Thanks!
kapqa

Post by kapqa »

hello ,

this has probably been asked already,

is there a good slot-in 9.5mm bluray drive that can do UHD or be made UHD friendly?
Jedi_Bolden

Post by Jedi_Bolden »

Hi All,

I'm a bit new here but I'm trying to flash a drive using my Mac. I thought I had successfully flashed a drive. See text from the terminal session I ran.

boldenamt@Allens-Mac-mini MacOS % ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/72B3EF48' -f ~/Desktop/sdf.bin rawflash main -i ~/Desktop/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin

Reading input file /Users/boldenamt/Desktop/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Flashing flags = 0x0 : 0 0 0 0 : ---- ---- ---- ----
Current Drive ID: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.02_212012011716_MZFN1SJ4219
Ready to write drive flash memory.
Type "yes" to continue, "no" to abort
yes
Operation started: Sending flash image to drive
100% Operation finished
Operation started: Programming flash
100% Operation finished
Done successfully

After running this operation and opening MakeKKV, it still shows the drive is on Revision 1.02. Does anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Any help appreciated. I'm using a archon MD-8107X-U3YC-UHD.

Thank you!!!!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 17.29.23.png
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 17.29.23.png (122.86 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Jedi_Bolden wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:30 pm
Hi All,

I'm a bit new here but I'm trying to flash a drive using my Mac. I thought I had successfully flashed a drive. See text from the terminal session I ran.

boldenamt@Allens-Mac-mini MacOS % ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/72B3EF48' -f ~/Desktop/sdf.bin rawflash main -i ~/Desktop/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin

Reading input file /Users/boldenamt/Desktop/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Flashing flags = 0x0 : 0 0 0 0 : ---- ---- ---- ----
Current Drive ID: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.02_212012011716_MZFN1SJ4219
Ready to write drive flash memory.
Type "yes" to continue, "no" to abort
yes
Operation started: Sending flash image to drive
100% Operation finished
Operation started: Programming flash
100% Operation finished
Done successfully

After running this operation and opening MakeKKV, it still shows the drive is on Revision 1.02. Does anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Any help appreciated. I'm using a archon MD-8107X-U3YC-UHD.

Thank you!!!!
enc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Hans_Meiser

Post by Hans_Meiser »

Hello,
I have a few small questions that I would like to ask before I flash my drive (so I don't brick it). Sorry for evetually silly questions, but my English isn't that good and I want to make sure I didn't misunderstood anything. My newly purchased LG-BH16NS40 drive has the production date November 17th, 2023, the SVC code is NS51 and the Rom version 1.05 on the Drive-Label.

As far as I understood, the only difference between the LG-WH16NS40 and the LG-BH16NS40 is that the first one is a retail package (including accessories) and the other one is bulk. Therefore, both are identical!? As a result, I can follow the instructions for the LG-WH16NS40. Correct?

The drive platform MUST be MT1959. According to MakeMKV, this actually applies to me. However, every now and then I read online that if you wanna make your drive "UHD friendly" you should NOT buy an LG-BH16NS40 anymore. I didn't fully understand why (because of my poor english). My drive has the SVC code NS51 and not the "desired" SVC code NS50. Is that the reason why I can't flash it UHD-Friendly and I would brick it, because of an incompatible firmware?

Let's assume that in question #2 you say I can flash my drive despite the SVC code NS51 anyway. Then the "Ultimate UHD Drive flashing Guide" says that for the LG-WH16NS40 (and therefore also my LGBH16NS40?) it is recommended to directly flash the firmware WH16NS60 1.02MK. Do I understand it correctly that this is a sidegrade in order to turn the drive immediately into an UHD official drive, which also then no longer has the sleep bug?

4. Last question. If I'm allowed to flash, do I follow this (simple) procedure?:

- Download and start GUI SDF tool (By MartyMcNuts):
- Make sure the drive is empty and tray is closed.
- Select my drive from the first drop down box.
- At first make a backup with the "read"-option. After having finished:
- Select WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware in the second dropdown box
- Check the "enc?" checkbox !!!
- Press the START button to flash the selected firmware.
- Reboot!

Correct?

Ps.
Sometimes I've read something about needing the IDE-Mode on my Motherbord for flashing. Is it correct that I only need that, if something went wrong and I want to "reanimate" my bricked drive?

Thanks for all in advance ;)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Hans_Meiser wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 pm
Hello,
I have a few small questions that I would like to ask before I flash my drive (so I don't brick it). Sorry for evetually silly questions, but my English isn't that good and I want to make sure I didn't misunderstood anything. My newly purchased LG-BH16NS40 drive has the production date November 17th, 2023, the SVC code is NS51 and the Rom version 1.05 on the Drive-Label.

As far as I understood, the only difference between the LG-WH16NS40 and the LG-BH16NS40 is that the first one is a retail package (including accessories) and the other one is bulk. Therefore, both are identical!? As a result, I can follow the instructions for the LG-WH16NS40. Correct?

The drive platform MUST be MT1959. According to MakeMKV, this actually applies to me. However, every now and then I read online that if you wanna make your drive "UHD friendly" you should NOT buy an LG-BH16NS40 anymore. I didn't fully understand why (because of my poor english). My drive has the SVC code NS51 and not the "desired" SVC code NS50. Is that the reason why I can't flash it UHD-Friendly and I would brick it, because of an incompatible firmware?

Let's assume that in question #2 you say I can flash my drive despite the SVC code NS51 anyway. Then the "Ultimate UHD Drive flashing Guide" says that for the LG-WH16NS40 (and therefore also my LGBH16NS40?) it is recommended to directly flash the firmware WH16NS60 1.02MK. Do I understand it correctly that this is a sidegrade in order to turn the drive immediately into an UHD official drive, which also then no longer has the sleep bug?

4. Last question. If I'm allowed to flash, do I follow this (simple) procedure?:

- Download and start GUI SDF tool (By MartyMcNuts):
- Make sure the drive is empty and tray is closed.
- Select my drive from the first drop down box.
- At first make a backup with the "read"-option. After having finished:
- Select WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware in the second dropdown box
- Check the "enc?" checkbox !!!
- Press the START button to flash the selected firmware.
- Reboot!

Correct?

Ps.
Sometimes I've read something about needing the IDE-Mode on my Motherbord for flashing. Is it correct that I only need that, if something went wrong and I want to "reanimate" my bricked drive?

Thanks for all in advance ;)
IDE mode was for the old flashing method, so ignore any of that.

The newer versions of the SDFTool Flasher automatically apply the "enc" if needed so no need to worry about that either. Just flash the drive to WH16NS60 1.02-MK and you are good to go.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Hans_Meiser

Post by Hans_Meiser »

Thanks :D ... Just one last question: I've found this sentence in one thread:

----------------------------------

"The latest version of the SDFtool Flasher has a checkbox option to flash the boot loader with the main firmware to the drive. This is useful for the newer BP50NB40 with SVC: NB52. It's also possible that other newer models may require this option later on. We will all work it out together as we go!!"

My LG-BH16NS40 Drive SVC Code is NS51 and NOT the well known SVC Code NS50. Do I need to flash the WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware with or without the bootloader option checked in the SDFtool Flasher?

Thanx in advance ;)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Hans_Meiser wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:40 am
Thanks :D ... Just one last question: I've found this sentence in one thread:

"The latest version of the SDFtool Flasher has a checkbox option to flash the boot loader with the main firmware to the drive. This is useful for the newer BP50NB40 with SVC: NB52. It's also possible that other newer models may require this option later on. We will all work it out together as we go!!"

My LG-BH16NS40 Drive SVC Code is NS51 and NOT the well known SVC Code NS50. Do I need to flash the WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware with or without the bootloader option checked in the SDFtool Flasher?

Thanx in advance ;)
no bootloader needed
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
Hans_Meiser

Post by Hans_Meiser »

Thanks. Everything worked fine. I accidentally took the "DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.02_MK.bin" from the "All You Need Firmware Pack" by MartyMcNuts, but I think that firmware is exactely the same like the one in your "All you need firmware Pack" from the starting post (just with a slightly different name). I'm just a litte bit irritated, because his firmware name begins with "DE" ... and ends up with "MK" and I still do not really understand the exact difference between those two types of firmware although it is explained by him in his thread. I understood that a MK firmware is the recommended one for MakeMKV - that's enough to know for me. But because the mixed name (DE and MK) of his firmware I'm not shure whether I have the correct one. Can I identify somehow whether a DE firmware or a MK firmware has been flashed? This is my actual MakeMKV Picture:

And do I have the sleep bug with that firm now, or not ? I would say NO, correct? (Sorry, I know I'm driving you crazy :) )
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Hans_Meiser wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:49 pm
Thanks

And do I have the sleep bug with that firm now, or not ? I would say NO, correct? (Sorry, I know I'm driving you crazy :) )
You don't have the sleep bug
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Hans_Meiser wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:49 pm
Thanks. Everything worked fine. I accidentally took the "DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.02_MK.bin" from the "All You Need Firmware Pack" by MartyMcNuts, but I think that firmware is exactely the same like the one in your "All you need firmware Pack" from the starting post (just with a slightly different name). I'm just a litte bit irritated, because his firmware name begins with "DE" ... and ends up with "MK" and I still do not really understand the exact difference between those two types of firmware although it is explained by him in his thread. I understood that a MK firmware is the recommended one for MakeMKV - that's enough to know for me. But because the mixed name (DE and MK) of his firmware I'm not shure whether I have the correct one. Can I identify somehow whether a DE firmware or a MK firmware has been flashed? This is my actual MakeMKV Picture:

The "DE" simply means the firmware has been downgrade enabled. It's the same firmware as in Billy's pack.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Imperial

Post by Imperial »

Hi all,

I just purchased HP HLDS BU40N slim drive and gathered info(below) from MakeMVK program. I downloaded SDF Flasher and "the all ... firmware pack". I found one firmware file matching BU40N, which is "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin". <<< Don't know if this FW is MakeMKV compatible as I don't see MK in the firmware's name.

Does anyone know, if this firmware will flash over my drive's current BW42 firmware and if I need to check "encrypted firmware in the flashing tool?

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: hp HLDS
Product: BDRE BU40N
Revision: BW42
Serial number: -----------
Firmware date: 2117-11-29 16:55
Highest AACS version: 16

LibreDrive Information
Hardware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 0.BW42P
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Imperial wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:29 am
Hi all,

I just purchased HP HLDS BU40N slim drive and gathered info(below) from MakeMVK program. I downloaded SDF Flasher and "the all ... firmware pack". I found one firmware file matching BU40N, which is "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin". <<< Don't know if this FW is MakeMKV compatible as I don't see MK in the firmware's name.

Does anyone know, if this firmware will flash over my drive's current BW42 firmware and if I need to check "encrypted firmware in the flashing tool?

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: hp HLDS
Product: BDRE BU40N
Revision: BW42
Serial number: -----------
Firmware date: 2117-11-29 16:55
Highest AACS version: 16

LibreDrive Information
Hardware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 0.BW42P
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
Since your current firmware is old and not encrypted, you can flash either BU40N 1.00 or BU40N 1.03-MK (which is the firmware you mentioned).