Unable To Read Hunger Games - Mocking Jay Pt 1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
AmatureArchiver

Unable To Read Hunger Games - Mocking Jay Pt 1

Post by AmatureArchiver »

I've avoided making this thread as I hoped one of my drives would eventually just *read* the disc.
Sadly, it doesn't seem as though either drive wants to cooperate with me, and it's only with this disc. This disc was actually part of a steelbook set for all of the Hunger Games movies, and is the only one of the set that won't read as well.

Here is the info for drive 1:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK05N3IB0156
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 78

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: MI_DEAD_RECKONING_PART_1
Timestamp: 2023-09-05 12:57:42
Protection: AACS2.0/C v77
Data capacity: 84.56 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
As you can see, I've got Mission Impossible loaded into the drive, so it's not that it can't read UHD discs.
Drive 2 is currently busy reading another UHD disc, but is a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK.

I tried rinsing the disc under water, then drying off with a microfiber cloth (one made for glasses).
I tried using isopropyl alcohol as well, again drying with a microfiber cloth. I also tried cleaning the lens of both drives using a Q-Tip and the alcohol.
I tried re-flashing both drives, and unplugging them for a short time then plugging back in. Also restarting the PC, and even restarting the PC with them unplugged then plugging back in.

I'm up for trying any solutions, outside of buying a new drive as I'd rather not have to do that (especially when these 2 seem to be working).
Radiocomms237

Re: Unable To Read Hunger Games - Mocking Jay Pt 1

Post by Radiocomms237 »

It may help if you tell us what the actual error is?

Is the disc not recognized as being present at all (in either drive)?

Is it recognized but unable to be decrypted?

Is it able to be decrypted but shows read errors?

Are you trying to backup the disc or rip from it directly?

Does it get halfway through a backup/rip and then give errors, or finish a backup but with errors, or won't even start?
AmatureArchiver

The disc isn't recognized in either drive, sorry if I didn't make that clear in the post.

Pardon the terrible description, but essentially what happens is the drives will spin up and you can hear it attempt to read the disc then it makes a "thunk" sound, and then start to spin again, then repeat. It does this for about 2 minutes and then reports "No Disc" to Windows/MakeMKV. Both drives do this.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Sounds like a bad disc.

So next question: Does it play in a regular household player?

If not then I think it might be time to return and exchange?
AmatureArchiver

I don't have any traditional player unfortunately, just my Xbox Series X and my cd drives, and my Series X can't seem to read most newer 4K discs (based on a quick google, I'm not alone in that regard).

Sadly, the store doesn't allow for returns/exchanges if you've opened a DVD case.
AmatureArchiver

As a test I decided to buy a new 4k drive from amazon, just to see if it's the drives or disc.

Looks like both my drives might be failing, as the new one just read it without a sweat.

I do believe it's mainly BD-100 the drives have an issue with, as both Hunger Games and Oppenheimer weren't reading and they're both BD-100, but movies like Dragon Ball Super - Super Hero read just fine, and is BD-66.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AmatureArchiver wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:59 am
As a test I decided to buy a new 4k drive from amazon, just to see if it's the drives or disc.

Looks like both my drives might be failing, as the new one just read it without a sweat.

I do believe it's mainly BD-100 the drives have an issue with, as both Hunger Games and Oppenheimer weren't reading and they're both BD-100, but movies like Dragon Ball Super - Super Hero read just fine, and is BD-66.
shows the errors could be a power issue very common on usb drives
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
AmatureArchiver

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:18 am
As in the USB drive has an internal power failure, or it's not receiving enough power from the computer? One of the drives, I have both the USBs plugged in as it would flash red without (a warning it wasn't getting enough power), and the other drive only has a single one plugged in (it never gave a warning status light).
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AmatureArchiver wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:51 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:18 am
As in the USB drive has an internal power failure, or it's not receiving enough power from the computer? One of the drives, I have both the USBs plugged in as it would flash red without (a warning it wasn't getting enough power), and the other drive only has a single one plugged in (it never gave a warning status light).
Computer not supplying enough power
The bp60 has no warning.
Like the buffalo if it's red that's bad that makes the drive hungry for discs.

Quick explanation
Laser is underpowered so it moves closer to read disc still can't read moves closer uhoh to close your disc and drive are ruined as the lens is plastic so they scratch each other if you have power issues with a slim drives fix it or it can cost you$.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
AmatureArchiver

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:29 am
Computer not supplying enough power
The bp60 has no warning.
Like the buffalo if it's red that's bad that makes the drive hungry for discs.

Quick explanation
Laser is underpowered so it moves closer to read disc still can't read moves closer uhoh to close your disc and drive are ruined as the lens is plastic so they scratch each other if you have power issues with a slim drives fix it or it can cost you$.
So I plugged the power cable for each of the drives into an external power source (USB hub) and kept the data cable plugged into the PC. There wasn't any change in the drives as far as being able to read BD-100 discs.

I've been failing to find a thread on how I can isolate/fix the issue, do you happen to have any tips?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AmatureArchiver wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:33 pm

So I plugged the power cable for each of the drives into an external power source (USB hub) and kept the data cable plugged into the PC. There wasn't any change in the drives as far as being able to read BD-100 discs.

I've been failing to find a thread on how I can isolate/fix the issue, do you happen to have any tips?
Show us the error you still haven't shown us
AmatureArchiver

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:11 pm
AmatureArchiver wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:33 pm

Show us the error you still haven't shown us
https://youtu.be/bErbSXDQ7Sg

If you turn your volume up (sorry) you can kind of hear the drive attempting to read and the "thunking" noise it makes. After about 2 minutes of trying it simply just gives up and reports no disc.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AmatureArchiver wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:15 am

https://youtu.be/bErbSXDQ7Sg

If you turn your volume up (sorry) you can kind of hear the drive attempting to read and the "thunking" noise it makes. After about 2 minutes of trying it simply just gives up and reports no disc.
well this is what i would do.

clean disc
clean drive laser vary easy on that drive just eject try use something lint free.
replace disc
replace drive with a pioneer