Dolby Vision x265 Encoding, DV Profile Advantages/Caveats?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
quietvoid

Re: Dolby Vision x265 Encoding, DV Profile Advantages/Caveats?

Post by quietvoid »

SciFinn wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:07 am
Thank you! This was it. Didn't realize that Powershell could cause problems. I've never had any problem when using ffmpeg in powershell.
The issue lies in piping data to other processes (the "ffmpeg ... - | dovi_tool ... -" part), so if you were simply using FFmpeg on its own, it would work the same.
JERisBRISK

Post by JERisBRISK »

Apologies for the "thread necro" but it appears this issue (and a followup one trying to pipe native binary output to a file) was fixed in Powershell 7.4.0-preview, so if you're running 7.4.0 release (or newer, current latest is 7.4.4) it should work fine.

I'm also curious if this process has been refined at all, or if better tools / automation exists?

I've got a rash of ISO backups of my physical media and I'm strongly considering remuxing them to MKV, but I don't want to lose DolbyVision (or other HDR10, etc.) in the process.

Has the "State of the art" improved in the last year and change?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

JERisBRISK wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:48 am
Apologies for the "thread necro" but it appears this issue (and a followup one trying to pipe native binary output to a file) was fixed in Powershell 7.4.0-preview, so if you're running 7.4.0 release (or newer, current latest is 7.4.4) it should work fine.

I'm also curious if this process has been refined at all, or if better tools / automation exists?

I've got a rash of ISO backups of my physical media and I'm strongly considering remuxing them to MKV, but I don't want to lose DolbyVision (or other HDR10, etc.) in the process.

Has the "State of the art" improved in the last year and change?
The Ugoos AM6B+ running the latest versions of CoreELEC can play DV from a .mkv container in the format MakeMKV rips them from discs.