Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
FubbAyH

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by FubbAyH »

mehgh750 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 am
Can you please tell me how to use tsMuxer to create proper BDMV folders from BDMVs ripped from UHD discs? Icannot find any instruction explaining the workflow.
When you say "proper BDMV folders" do you mean with menus and extras? If so, I don't think think that's something you can do with tsMuxer. If you just want a barebones BDMV folder for compatibility with a player where that's the only option, then I think it's as simple as dragging in the .mpls playlist of the movie to the input section and selecting the "Blu-ray folder" output option, but it isn't part of my workflow so I don't know more than that, I'm afraid.
staknhalo wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:20 pm
If we were just talking about movies, I'd agree, but with TV show episodes now too in 4K DV5+HDR10, even as cheap as HDDs might be, and at lower bitrates, it's a lot of data to duplicate vs mix into one - at least for me who also subjectively likes to keep everything fitting nice and neat in a Synology 918+ with no extension units (yet) - I'm not doing a full rack or anything on my end.
Good point. I only keep a very select few TV shows in my collection because I can't be bothered to deal with so many files. My NAS is an old Intel NUC with three USB hard drives sitting next to it, so yours is considerably fancier than mine!
mehgh750

Post by mehgh750 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:08 am
mehgh750 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 am
Can you please tell me how to use tsMuxer to create proper BDMV folders from BDMVs ripped from UHD discs? Icannot find any instruction explaining the workflow.
When you say "proper BDMV folders" do you mean with menus and extras? If so, I don't think think that's something you can do with tsMuxer. If you just want a barebones BDMV folder for compatibility with a player where that's the only option, then I think it's as simple as dragging in the .mpls playlist of the movie to the input section and selecting the "Blu-ray folder" output option, but it isn't part of my workflow so I don't know more than that, I'm afraid.
staknhalo wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:20 pm
If we were just talking about movies, I'd agree, but with TV show episodes now too in 4K DV5+HDR10, even as cheap as HDDs might be, and at lower bitrates, it's a lot of data to duplicate vs mix into one - at least for me who also subjectively likes to keep everything fitting nice and neat in a Synology 918+ with no extension units (yet) - I'm not doing a full rack or anything on my end.
Good point. I only keep a very select few TV shows in my collection because I can't be bothered to deal with so many files. My NAS is an old Intel NUC with three USB hard drives sitting next to it, so yours is considerably fancier than mine!
Thank you very much for your reply. I do not care about the menus, just want to create BDMVs which Sony X800M2 can play with proper DV grading. I am very new to this so didn't think it was that simple. So why are people trying to convert BDMV to MKVs. I think only Shield can play MKVs but it messes up DV.
Thanks again
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

Oh, you're in luck then. For the X800M2 you don't need to use BDMV. You can just remux to M2TS and play those files from USB or over the network with DV working perfectly. Just use the "M2TS muxing" option in txMuxeR GUI.
hell001

Post by hell001 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:17 pm
I do make a p8 hybrid from p5/hdr10 web-dl because I find it more practical to have an HDR10 BL and I can stream it on every TV in my house including the one that doesnt support DV.
plus I don't really see the difference between p5 and p8 eventhough p5 uses a more efficient colorspace.
staknhalo wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:03 pm
And less file space taken up vs individual, separate HDR10+DV5 files to alternatively maintain that broad device playback support
Do you guys keep copies of your P5 DV file after making the hybrid for devices that don't support P8? Or do you only watch on the devices that support P8? The thing that is getting to me is that if I find myself in a situation watching on a device that doesn't support P8 but does P5, that I could have been watching in DV if I didn't create a hybrid. Unless there is some solution to this that I am missing to always be watching in DV regardless of profile.
mehgh750

Post by mehgh750 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:56 am
mehgh750 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:20 am
@ RESET_9999
The link to your Youtube video is broken. Can you please share the video once again?
Thanks
the tutorial videos link is in my signature.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... L2KFZWTqKr
Thank you very much.
mehgh750

Post by mehgh750 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:41 am
Oh, you're in luck then. For the X800M2 you don't need to use BDMV. You can just remux to M2TS and play those files from USB or over the network with DV working perfectly. Just use the "M2TS muxing" option in txMuxeR GUI.
Good to hear that. So I just need to drag in the .mpls playlist of the movie to the input section and use M2TS muxing option in txMuxeR GUI, right?
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

Yep, that's right. You can turn off any audio or subtitle tracks you don't want by unchecking the boxes for them, but you do need to keep both video tracks (the ones with the codec shown as HEVC) for DV to work.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

hell001 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:13 pm
Do you guys keep copies of your P5 DV file after making the hybrid for devices that don't support P8? Or do you only watch on the devices that support P8? The thing that is getting to me is that if I find myself in a situation watching on a device that doesn't support P8 but does P5, that I could have been watching in DV if I didn't create a hybrid. Unless there is some solution to this that I am missing to always be watching in DV regardless of profile.
All my Android TV devices that support p5 also support p8.
mehgh750

Post by mehgh750 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:39 am
Yep, that's right. You can turn off any audio or subtitle tracks you don't want by unchecking the boxes for them, but you do need to keep both video tracks (the ones with the codec shown as HEVC) for DV to work.
Thank you very much for all the info.
Cheers
Arkz147

Post by Arkz147 »

ginandbacon wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:34 pm
Arkz147 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:46 pm
Hi,

If I may : what is the best choice, between Zidoo Z9X and Dune HD Real Vision 4K, for playing DV using Kodi and Fen/Seren/Venom (or a Kodi-like app) ?
By playing DV, I mean MKV/MP4, and more profiles supported than by my Shield Pro (Remux-friendly, and without messed up colors).

Thanks for any help.
I had the same issue and went with the Dune based on user feedback. Seems like they are better at firmware/software updates then Zidoo. With that said, I have not seen or used the Zidoo. I have confirmed that the Dune HD Real Vision 4k Solo plays both DV 7 profiles. You are going to want to use the built in player no matter which one you go with. Due to either licensing or content providers not allowing it, they are limited to at best, 4K no HDR and Prime video is actually 480p. There is some weird licensing with content providers or they get to choose who gets 4kHDR with streaming services. The Dune is hands down the best media player I have ever used. The fact that it does resolution and framerate changes with no HDMI drop outs is a huge plus. The built in player is all you need really. It does come with a YouTube variant that can actually play HDR. In fact yesterday I was watching something and it came us as HLG. Bohemian Rhapsody, one of the few HDR10+ movies available looked and sounded amazing. It's not for Netflix, Hula, Dis+, ect... The Android in both is crippled by resolution limitations. I only use my Shield now for streaming services. It plays DV profile 4, 6, 7 *MEL and FEL, and 8. Most remux's use 8. HDR10+ (shield doesn't support), HDR10, and HLG. I can't confirm profile 4 due to my setup and it being STD (display does tone mapping, not LLDV). The one thing you will notice right away is no judder, especially compared with the Shield. I had issues with Judder on some content on the Shield. Being able to send out 12b LLDV for SDR content helps with banding and it properly remaps the color tones for pretty much any scenario. While still in Beta, the new GUI is a huge improvement http://dune-hd.com/firmware/newgui/
Thanks a lot, sorry for the late answer.

What about Kodi on Dune, VS ZDMC on Zidoo ?
Are you using Maven's build, being able to use Dune's internal player, to process the files ?
Is it smooth with Fen (I'm worried about it being slow, compared to my Shield) ?

Thanks again !
Yoshitaka

Post by Yoshitaka »

Yoshitaka wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:46 am
I have remuxed an HEVC with ac3 to make a dv mp4 but it is stuttering on my C9.. Playing through USB port and flagged as Dolby Vision no problem, no pink video, but just extremely choppy. Stop and start. Audio is in sync too with it..
What could be some problems that have caused this? I've never had this issue before..
Bump. In case my post became buried.
KyleLeMarbe

Post by KyleLeMarbe »

Albano wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:01 pm
KyleLeMarbe wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:24 am
Created some powershell scripts to handle MKV to MP4 with dolby vision. Hoping others can get some value out of them.

https://github.com/KyleLeMarbe/DolbyVisionMuxer
Why Audio offset in your script is it 1100ms?
What's wrong with 0ms?
For some reason, extracting through ffmpeg causes the audio to be offset from the video. Have not figured out exactly why, but the 1100ms offset fixes it.
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

What is the correct L5 data for an RPU in a video that switches between IMAX (16:9/full screen) and black bars (2.35:1)? Should I be cropping the RPU (0,0,0,0) or matching the black bars (0,0,280,280)?

I guess this has already been answered.
quietvoid wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:50 am
Right, normally you would have to find the scenes where the aspect ratio changes and edit them in the other RPU.
Alternatively I'm pretty sure leaving the L5 to 0 also works.

But you don't have to do any of this since the content is already Dolby VIsion :!:
What about a video where the x axis isn't fully used (148,148,0,0)?
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Gatorman wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:47 am
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

quietvoid wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:21 pm
Gatorman wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:47 am
I don't understand what you mean by this.
I'm trying to describe a video where there are black bars along the sides and not the top and bottom. I don't remember seeing much conversation about editing the side values. Maybe I'm over thinking things.... Just edit those L5 values?
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.