LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
TeddyRaspin

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Well, at last it seems I fixed my issues with BDR-S12UHT enabling S.M.A.R.T option for SATA Controller in UEFI BIOS.

That's sound strange but doing this raid arrays as well as the Pioneer drive work like a charm after several reboots,
power off and MakeMKV initializations.

I'll do more tests in the next days but I've not experienced detection issues anymore today, so I see this as a good step forward. :wink:
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:10 am
Pioneer BDR-S12UHT (or 212UBK) can read even "stones". It is silent and able to perfectly
read/write any UHD 4K Blu-Ray, expecially triple or quad layer, while LG sometimes fails.
This is a long-planned feature actually. Right now, when you make a backup, if you select a non-empty destination folder then backup would just fail. However, by using AACS content hash table it is rather trivial to see if the folder already contains the backup for the same disc, and in this case write only missing parts. This way one could make a partial backup with another drive (or ddrescue or just copy files) and then, when selecting the folder as a backup destination almost instantly "fix" it - MakeMKV would copy only missing/damaged parts and would figure everything automatically. Hopefully I'll get my hands on it sooner than later...
Styloy

Post by Styloy »

I've seen this working flawlessly on an Asus external rebranded BDR-208! excellent job Mike

I do however have a newer BDR-212D though that doesn't show any signs of libredrive support, not even the crossed fingers info. it's connected with a USB 3.0/sata bridge, same kind I use with my LG Asus libredrive. hopefully it's possible to support.

info according to MakeMKV:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom2
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-212D
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: SFDL00xxxxxx
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 68
jcreek

Post by jcreek »

I've been through the sticky threads and I think I'm correct to post this here, but sorry if not!

I noticed today my drive says libredrive is 'possible but not enabled'. I gather I don't need to flash new firmware onto the device, but I'm not sure what I actually do need to do to get it working. Any help would be very gratefully received!

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jcreek wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:35 pm
I've been through the sticky threads and I think I'm correct to post this here, but sorry if not!

I noticed today my drive says libredrive is 'possible but not enabled'. I gather I don't need to flash new firmware onto the device, but I'm not sure what I actually do need to do to get it working. Any help would be very gratefully received!

According to the list in the first post, both the x12 1.02 and x12 1.03 firmware versions are compatible.

First things first, make sure you are running the latest SDF version (v84 I think) and you have internet access enabled in preferences.

If you have all this and your drive still is not libredrive enabled, either update to firmware v1.03 or contact Mike.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jcreek

Post by jcreek »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:21 pm
jcreek wrote:

According to the list in the first post, both the x12 1.02 and x12 1.03 firmware versions are compatible.

First things first, make sure you are running the latest SDF version (v84 I think) and you have internet access enabled in preferences.

If you have all this and your drive still is not libredrive enabled, either update to firmware v1.03 or contact Mike.
It looks like I have version 87 so in theory it should 'just work' right? There's no extra step I need to take to enable it? @mike
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

jcreek wrote:
You have a firmware version 1.02 from 22.1.2020 with a version 'ID56' . In my database I have the very same firmware (1.02 from 22.1.2020 ) but with different ID version, and appears that these are two different firmware versions. I haven't seen a case like that before. Please contact me (PM or email) so we can dump your firmware. This happens remotely, takes about 10-15 minutes. Thanks!
Edu02

Post by Edu02 »

Hi guys,

I've read many pages and discussions, but I'm still not sure which external drive would be compatible, mainly for extracting media to converting my discs, which is my focus.
I think of something like:

Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD
Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD
(or maybe LG BP60NB10)

Which one of them you could recommend me?

Thanks !!! :wink:
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

The UHD Drives Guide first post lists both the BDR-XS07UHD & the BDR-XD07UHD. You'll also find them in the list of supported drives in the first post of this thread.
From their respective pages on Pioneer's website, the maximum speed for UHDs is 4x, although the BDR-XS07UHD seems to have a USB Type-C connector on it.
dieseldes

Post by dieseldes »

Hi Guys.

I have a Pioneer drive from a few years ago, with BDXL compatibility. The model number on the actual drive is BDR209EBK.

Makemkv reports the drive as:
Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Product: BD-RW BDR-209M
Revision: 1.10
Serial number: MLDL0035xxxx
Firmware date: 2013-09-10

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8600
Firmware version: ID60

As this drive is "XL" compatible, i thought it would be 4k UHD capable? Am i wasting my time with this drive? I haven't messed with any firmware on it. I'm happy to download it if that's in anyway useful? Maybe it could be cross flashed?

Thanks Guys!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dieseldes wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 pm
Hi Guys.

I have a Pioneer drive from a few years ago, with BDXL compatibility. The model number on the actual drive is BDR209EBK.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Product: BD-RW BDR-209M
Revision: 1.10
Serial number: MLDL0035xxxx
Firmware date: 2013-09-10

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8600
Firmware version: ID60

As this drive is "XL" compatible, i thought it would be 4k UHD capable? Am i wasting my time with this drive? I haven't messed with any firmware on it. I'm happy to download it if that's in anyway useful? Maybe it could be cross flashed?

Thanks Guys!
First of all, BDXL capability does not necessarily mean UHD capability. Now, as the firmware is not flashed or cross-flashed, the only Pioneer drives that work with UHD ripping are the actual UHD drive models. This may change in the future but cannot say for sure if it will ever happen. So, if you want to use a Pioneer drive to rip your UHD discs, you need a UHD model.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dieseldes

Post by dieseldes »

Ok thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that a drive can be blue ray XL compatible, including right upto quad layer, but not uhd compatible. As I understand it, the densities are the same, so I would be interested to understand why they can't be read? Just firmware?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

dieseldes wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:03 am
Ok thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that a drive can be blue ray XL compatible, including right upto quad layer, but not uhd compatible. As I understand it, the densities are the same, so I would be interested to understand why they can't be read? Just firmware?
density's are not the same

bdxl 100gb is quad layer so every layer is 25GB
UHD BD100 bluray is triple layer so every layer is 33.33GB
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dieseldes

Post by dieseldes »

My bdxl drive is 33gb per layer compatible. It's stated at 128gb quad layer, which with some formatting and rounding is the same as uhd. Perhaps it's just formatting differences. Interesting topic, the science behind this.
doublepwn

Post by doublepwn »

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a BDR-212UBK and it looks like may not be supported (currently using SDF v88). Do I need to dump the firmware or update the firmware on the drive?

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Product: BD-RW BDR-212U
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: SLDL00XXXXXX
Firmware date: 2019-01-10
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information