ASUS BW-16D1HT with Unitek Y-3324 USB/SATA had start/stop issues until i changed usb ports

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
sparktank

ASUS BW-16D1HT with Unitek Y-3324 USB/SATA had start/stop issues until i changed usb ports

Post by sparktank »

I had an issue with a USB adapter and solved it. So I'm sharing my story in case anyone might have similar situation.

I got an ASUS BW-16D1HT, which I've had for over a year and flashed it to 3.10. I flashed it before all the recent updates to flash disc drives. Back in May 2019 (from Amazon/Canada).

I got a new PC recently but the tower doesn't have a slot for a disc drive, so I ordered the Unitek Y-3324.
I have it plugged in via the front USB 3.0 port. USB sticks and portable HDD's running at USB 3.0 speeds work in that port without issue.
However, when I use the Unitek Y-3324 adapter, MakeMKV will open and read the disc contents and let me choose what to rip to my PC, but when I start the process, not even 30 seconds later, the ripping halts. The UI doesn't update, the disc keeps spinning, and eventually the PC will freeze where I have to unplug the disc drive from the USB port and do a hard reboot. I lose all control of my mouse and keyboard.
If I manage to unplug the drive before my PC freezes, I have to reboot the computer anyway before I can plug in the disc drive. Doing so without rebooting, the PC fails to read the drive and keeps spitting errors at me that the USB device failed.
No more than a GB of data was ripped before it seized up on me.
This happened with any disc, be it bd or uhd-bd. Have not tested dvd.

I tried to look if anyone else had the same issue, I've read something similar, but nothing that can help my situation.

So, I finally got up and re-arrnaged the shelf a bit so the USB cord can reach into the back of the PC and plugged it into a SupaHub PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card that I installed from my previous PC. (Ordered May 2020; the Amazon/Canada link to my SupaHub expansion card doesn't have a work anymore; and I can't find a product page for it anywhere, either.)

Now the entire disc 1 of Community on bluray is ripping without concern. Can't wait to go through the series with the commentary.

Not sure why, but the front USB didn't seem to work with the Unitek Adapter. The front USB ports are part of the PC build my friends got me. I only use the USB 2.0 ports for my headphones and my Xbox One controller. Just the headphones were plugged in the front while operating the Unitek Adatper.

With it plugged in the back of the PC into the USB card, it's ripping Kingsglaive - Final Fantasy XV without error, even while the external HDD's are enabled and powered.

That's the issue I had and that's how I fixed it.

tl;dr:
Front USB 3.0 ports (via USB 3.0 ports that came with the PC) failed with Unitek Y-3324.
Back USB 3.0 ports (via installed PCI-E USB 3.0 card) worked with Unitek Y-3324.
MartyMcNuts

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT with Unitek Y-3324 USB/SATA had start/stop issues until i changed usb ports

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sparktank wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:54 pm
I had an issue with a USB adapter and solved it. So I'm sharing my story in case anyone might have similar situation.

I got an ASUS BW-16D1HT, which I've had for over a year and flashed it to 3.10. I flashed it before all the recent updates to flash disc drives. Back in May 2019 (from Amazon/Canada).

I got a new PC recently but the tower doesn't have a slot for a disc drive, so I ordered the Unitek Y-3324.
I have it plugged in via the front USB 3.0 port. USB sticks and portable HDD's running at USB 3.0 speeds work in that port without issue.
However, when I use the Unitek Y-3324 adapter, MakeMKV will open and read the disc contents and let me choose what to rip to my PC, but when I start the process, not even 30 seconds later, the ripping halts. The UI doesn't update, the disc keeps spinning, and eventually the PC will freeze where I have to unplug the disc drive from the USB port and do a hard reboot. I lose all control of my mouse and keyboard.
If I manage to unplug the drive before my PC freezes, I have to reboot the computer anyway before I can plug in the disc drive. Doing so without rebooting, the PC fails to read the drive and keeps spitting errors at me that the USB device failed.
No more than a GB of data was ripped before it seized up on me.
This happened with any disc, be it bd or uhd-bd. Have not tested dvd.

I tried to look if anyone else had the same issue, I've read something similar, but nothing that can help my situation.

So, I finally got up and re-arrnaged the shelf a bit so the USB cord can reach into the back of the PC and plugged it into a SupaHub PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card that I installed from my previous PC. (Ordered May 2020; the Amazon/Canada link to my SupaHub expansion card doesn't have a work anymore; and I can't find a product page for it anywhere, either.)

Now the entire disc 1 of Community on bluray is ripping without concern. Can't wait to go through the series with the commentary.

Not sure why, but the front USB didn't seem to work with the Unitek Adapter. The front USB ports are part of the PC build my friends got me. I only use the USB 2.0 ports for my headphones and my Xbox One controller. Just the headphones were plugged in the front while operating the Unitek Adatper.

With it plugged in the back of the PC into the USB card, it's ripping Kingsglaive - Final Fantasy XV without error, even while the external HDD's are enabled and powered.

That's the issue I had and that's how I fixed it.

tl;dr:
Front USB 3.0 ports (via USB 3.0 ports that came with the PC) failed with Unitek Y-3324.
Back USB 3.0 ports (via installed PCI-E USB 3.0 card) worked with Unitek Y-3324.
The front ports may not have been providing enough constant power for the drive to function properly. It's more common with laptops but does still happen on desktops occasionally.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com