I think I (kinda?) bricked my bp50nb40

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
LL2022

I think I (kinda?) bricked my bp50nb40

Post by LL2022 »

Hey guys, I attempted to flash my LG BP50NB40 SVC:NB50 (May, 2019) and ran into some problems. Firstly, I used the SDFtool Flasher to flash "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin" from "The all you need firmware pack", after this my firmware showed as non-encrypted. I then restarted my PC, and again used SDFtool Flasher to flash "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin" from the same firmware pack as before, everything seemed fine at this point so I restarted my PC then attempted to read a UHD blu-ray disc, right after I opened MakeMKV it threw a bunch of codes, then stated "The program can't find any usable optical drives". I took out the disc, restarted my PC, then re-opened MakeMKV to see it now recognized my drive. I then tried to read the disc again, at which point MakeMKV recognized a disc had been inserted, read the disc, then immediately after indexing the disc and displaying disc information, went back to "The program can't find any usable optical drives". Windows had recognized the disc and was able to display the title and the amount of data on the disc, but when I tried to open the disc using VLC, it read as if there were no disc in the drive. Closed MakeMKV, reopened to the same "The program can't find any usable optical drives" message. I've done some testing and the drive will read regular DVD's just fine, I would like to test with a regular, non-UHD blu-ray disc but I don't have any on hand right now.

How do I tell if my drive is bricked? or if I just need to downgrade back to regular BP50NB40 firmware & retry? Also, I'm sorry if there is a very common fix, this is the first time in a long time I've tried to flash something other than my switch lol.
MartyMcNuts

Re: I think I (kinda?) bricked my bp50nb40

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LL2022 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:31 pm
Hey guys, I attempted to flash my LG BP50NB40 SVC:NB50 (May, 2019) and ran into some problems. Firstly, I used the SDFtool Flasher to flash "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin" from "The all you need firmware pack", after this my firmware showed as non-encrypted. I then restarted my PC, and again used SDFtool Flasher to flash "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin" from the same firmware pack as before, everything seemed fine at this point so I restarted my PC then attempted to read a UHD blu-ray disc, right after I opened MakeMKV it threw a bunch of codes, then stated "The program can't find any usable optical drives". I took out the disc, restarted my PC, then re-opened MakeMKV to see it now recognized my drive. I then tried to read the disc again, at which point MakeMKV recognized a disc had been inserted, read the disc, then immediately after indexing the disc and displaying disc information, went back to "The program can't find any usable optical drives". Windows had recognized the disc and was able to display the title and the amount of data on the disc, but when I tried to open the disc using VLC, it read as if there were no disc in the drive. Closed MakeMKV, reopened to the same "The program can't find any usable optical drives" message. I've done some testing and the drive will read regular DVD's just fine, I would like to test with a regular, non-UHD blu-ray disc but I don't have any on hand right now.

How do I tell if my drive is bricked? or if I just need to downgrade back to regular BP50NB40 firmware & retry? Also, I'm sorry if there is a very common fix, this is the first time in a long time I've tried to flash something other than my switch lol.
It sounds like the flash worked but the drive isn't getting enough power. Have you got both USB-A plugs connected to either the motherboard or a powered hub?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
LL2022

Post by LL2022 »

That makes total sense, I bought the drive used off FB Marketplace for like $30, and it didn't come with the original cable, so I just plugged it into a USB 3.1 port on the back of my mobo. I'll order a cable! Thank you!! and sorry it was such a simple problem
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LL2022 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:15 am
That makes total sense, I bought the drive used off FB Marketplace for like $30, and it didn't come with the original cable, so I just plugged it into a USB 3.1 port on the back of my mobo. I'll order a cable! Thank you!! and sorry it was such a simple problem
If you have a USB-C port available, I highly recommend using a USB-C cable. This way, only the 1 port is needed. Otherwise, yeah, you need to use 2 x USB-A ports.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
LL2022

Post by LL2022 »

I ended up buying a regular 2x USB A -> Micro B cable off amazon, works like a charm now. Currently ripping a 53gb UHD disc at 20mb/s. I hadn't seen your reply when I purchased the cable otherwise I would've gone with a usb C cable. Thank you for the help! I probably would've tossed the drive thinking it were dead if you hadn't replied lol!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LL2022 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:39 pm
I ended up buying a regular 2x USB A -> Micro B cable off amazon, works like a charm now. Currently ripping a 53gb UHD disc at 20mb/s. I hadn't seen your reply when I purchased the cable otherwise I would've gone with a usb C cable. Thank you for the help! I probably would've tossed the drive thinking it were dead if you hadn't replied lol!
Glad you are all sorted! Enjoy!!
BrownChcknBrownCow

Post by BrownChcknBrownCow »

I'm wondering if you actually bricked it. I'm getting the "The program can't find any usable optical drives." error, too. It only started after I upgraded to MakeMKV v1.16.7 win(x64-release). In fact, I had a Blu-Ray disc in the drive that was recognized by my previous MakeMKV install when I decided to upgrade. I've tried re-booting, but no luck.

I do not recall exactly what version I was on previously. It was most likely v1.16.5 or v1.16.4 as I keep it pretty up to date.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

BrownChcknBrownCow wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:21 am
I'm wondering if you actually bricked it. I'm getting the "The program can't find any usable optical drives." error, too. It only started after I upgraded to MakeMKV v1.16.7 win(x64-release). In fact, I had a Blu-Ray disc in the drive that was recognized by my previous MakeMKV install when I decided to upgrade. I've tried re-booting, but no luck.

I do not recall exactly what version I was on previously. It was most likely v1.16.5 or v1.16.4 as I keep it pretty up to date.
Then go back to 1.16.5 and see if the drive works again.
BrownChcknBrownCow

Post by BrownChcknBrownCow »

I found my solution via another post. It had to do with Windows Controlled Folder Access.

viewtopic.php?p=119664#p119664