The imitation game - fake playlists?

Everything related to MakeMKV
vetting

The imitation game - fake playlists?

Post by vetting »

Hi,

I am ripping "The imitation game", and it seems like the disc has fake playlists. Is the one i have checked the right track? It has T5 next to it.

Using Java runtime from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_321\bin\java.exe
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (340.81 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
vetting

Re: The imitation game - fake playlists?

Post by vetting »

I have also other discs whit the same type of playlists. This one has (T5), (T7), (T8), (T9), (T10) and (T11). This is a Norwegian miniseries. Are the tracks with the (T"X") the right ones?
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (391.12 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have no idea; I've never seen MakeMKV title things like that before. Generally, MakeMKV uses Java to try to figure out which titles are the correct ones in cases like this, but there's no guarantee it is correct.

When you select a title on the left, in the 'Info' box on the right, one of the lines of information is the segment map. On a blu-ray, the movie can be chopped up into smaller units called segments. Those segments are played by a player in the order defined. That playlist is a .mpls file (source file name in the MakeMKV Info box). Normally this is how a single blu-ray can include both the theatrical release and the director's cut on the same disc. Usually, most of the segments are the same between both versions and there are two playlists, one for each version. Some blu-rays are authored in such a way that the movie is chopped up into many arbitrary segments and a bunch of playlists are included with the segments in a jumbled order. Usually only one title is correct.

Often there are threads on this forum where people figure out which title is the right one, although after a quick search I didn't find one for The Imitation Game.

It is possible to figure out the correct title, without watching every one. If you make a decrypted backup of the movie, you can access each segment individually. They're in .m2ts files inside the STREAM folder of the backup. Those files can be played with VLC or other players. Is segment 00112.m2ts the correct beginning of the movie? Does segment 00103.m2ts correctly follow from the end of 00112.m2ts? And so on.

Hopefully, when you figure out the correct answer, you post back here so someone else can benefit.
vetting

Post by vetting »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 pm
I have no idea; I've never seen MakeMKV title things like that before. Generally, MakeMKV uses Java to try to figure out which titles are the correct ones in cases like this, but there's no guarantee it is correct.

When you select a title on the left, in the 'Info' box on the right, one of the lines of information is the segment map. On a blu-ray, the movie can be chopped up into smaller units called segments. Those segments are played by a player in the order defined. That playlist is a .mpls file (source file name in the MakeMKV Info box). Normally this is how a single blu-ray can include both the theatrical release and the director's cut on the same disc. Usually, most of the segments are the same between both versions and there are two playlists, one for each version. Some blu-rays are authored in such a way that the movie is chopped up into many arbitrary segments and a bunch of playlists are included with the segments in a jumbled order. Usually only one title is correct.

Often there are threads on this forum where people figure out which title is the right one, although after a quick search I didn't find one for The Imitation Game.

It is possible to figure out the correct title, without watching every one. If you make a decrypted backup of the movie, you can access each segment individually. They're in .m2ts files inside the STREAM folder of the backup. Those files can be played with VLC or other players. Is segment 00112.m2ts the correct beginning of the movie? Does segment 00103.m2ts correctly follow from the end of 00112.m2ts? And so on.

Hopefully, when you figure out the correct answer, you post back here so someone else can benefit.
Thank you for your reply.

Is making a backup the only way? I have done this before when a movie has differents "angles", but I think it would take a lot more time comparing the m2ts files correctly follows the original movie.

Anyone else has any idea? @Mike_Admin?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Lots of people have ideas and methodologies for doing this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16251

On the rare occasions when I've had to figure the correct title out on my own, I've found doing it manually ends up being the easiest.
zagreus

Post by zagreus »

Just resurrecting this for anyone searching this movie: Yes, 00476.mplis is correct. The TX comments seem to be left by MakeMKV on functional playlists if you use Java.