LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
dcoke22

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by dcoke22 »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:58 pm
Mike, how can we "disable" Libredrive?
He mentioned this the other day in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27489&p=119333#p119333
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:13 pm
Coopervid wrote:
He mentioned this the other day in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27489&p=119333#p119333
Thanks! I still do not understand where and how to enter this command. I'm on Windows. Invoke makemkvcon.exe with it? An full example would be very nice and helpful.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:52 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Coopervid wrote:
Thanks! I still do not understand where and how to enter this command. I'm on Windows. Invoke makemkvcon.exe with it? An full example would be very nice and helpful.
In the registry like speed control I will try and dig up some info on it later if Mike does not beat me to it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:08 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:52 pm
dcoke22 wrote:

In the registry like speed control I will try and dig up some info on it later if Mike does not beat me to it
OK. Thanks Billy. I found it. That's good to know.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Coopervid wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=92081#p92081
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It should be noted, however, that disabling LibreDrive for a drive renders it useless for UHD's. Yes, that includes for discs that have known keys. They will not work without LibreDrive being active.
ryley

Post by ryley »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:44 pm
You are getting a fatal error with SDF v86???? Did you try disabling LibreDrive for your drive? Please email/PM me, I'll ask for a log file for troubleshooting. Thanks!
I tried SDF v86 with my BDR-XD05 last night and I did encounter a fatal error. I've attached the log file from the fatal error session, along with the log file after setting SDF_STOP. Disabling LibreDrive did allow my drive to open the disc successfully.

With regards to the potential draw issues, I've used multiple cables and connected my drive to both the rear USB 3 ports directly and a powered hub. All configurations worked with LibreDrive disabled and they all passed the Pioneer USB power draw test. Changing the Pioneer 'Advanced Quiet Drive Feature' did not change the outcome when used with LibreDrive.
BDR-XD05 Power Test.PNG
BDR-XD05 Power Test.PNG (32.2 KiB) Viewed 13867 times
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.SDFv86.LibreDrive.Disabled.txt
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
MakeMKV_log.SDFv86.Cold.Start.txt
(518 Bytes) Downloaded 255 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ryley wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:56 am
I tried SDF v86 with my BDR-XD05 last night and I did encounter a fatal error. I've attached the log file from the fatal error session, along with the log file after setting SDF_STOP. Disabling LibreDrive did allow my drive to open the disc successfully.
Confirmed and fixed in SDF v87. Several drive models were affected with the same symptoms - MakeMKV failing during drive scan and frequent drive connect/disconnect messages.
MakeMKV should download new SDF file automatically.
Thanks a lot for help.
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Hi! I am new to makemkv! 1st time to rip 4K disc in makemkv!

Problem: Able to rip (Backup) a 4K disc to BDMV file but not able to play in my media player (didn't touch any configs and Enable Internet access was tick by default). makemkv was able to complete the task without error. What's went wrong? Thank you so much!

my makemkv version is v1.16.5[win(x64-release))

My UHD BD rom is Pioneer BDR-S13J-X

makemkv info screen showing

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-S13JX
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: xxxxxxxxxx
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS9201
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-213T
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.01/ID72
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: FROZEN
Timestamp: 2019-07-29 10:38:36
Protection: AACS2.0/C v68
Data capacity: 57.27 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 2
Bus encryption flags: 80
ryley

Post by ryley »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm
Confirmed and fixed in SDF v87. Several drive models were affected with the same symptoms - MakeMKV failing during drive scan and frequent drive connect/disconnect messages.
MakeMKV should download new SDF file automatically.
Thanks a lot for help.
Thanks for the update Mike! SDF v87 is working perfectly with my BDR-XD05.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.SDFv087.txt
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
wyzxvnv

Post by wyzxvnv »

Hello Mike

1) First of all I would like to say you: thank you so much for this amazing job you did. Got LibreDrive working on Pioneer drives is like an premature christmas gift. Even when is not required to modify firmware, thats awesome, excellent!
--
2) Second, I would like to confirm that LibreDrive is working perfectly on Verbatim 43888 drive (Verbatim Slimline Ultra HD 4K; Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive inside).
--
3) And third and main reason why I write this post here. For my supported drive BDR-212EBK (identified as BDR-212M) with 1.01 firmware I do not see LibreDrive section in MakeMKV. I think the problem is in USB 3.0 to SATA adapter I using.
This one exactly (most likely with one of the standard JMicron or ASMedia chipset):
https://i-tec.pro/en/produkt/usb3stada-2/

Everything is working well with my drive, I can rip blu-rays and burn disc, everything. But even "Pioneer BD Drive utility" do not see my drive. Do you want to try to solve this issue? Do you want me to help you somehow? Maybe also other people have similar issues using different USB-SATA adapters.

Greetings!
Pliny_The_Elder

Post by Pliny_The_Elder »

My Dad has an Asus SBW-06D2X-U (manufactured in 2015) with firmware D501. It isn’t showing any libredrive information is this model likely to be supported (I see other firmware version in the list) is this one where I can dump the firmware and send in? If so how would I do that? Many thanks!
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Hi again,

I've made several test with my unit BDR-S12UHT (1.01 FW version) with Libredrive mode enabled and sometimes,
after rebooting Windows 11, device is not detected at all. I have to turn off/on PC in order to detect it and it is
strictly related to libredrive, as motherboard always detects the drive.

Indeed, disabling libredrive via regedit "drive id" entry after "sdf_stop" the issue is fixed and the device is always properly
detected.

I've created two registry script. One for enabling Libredrive and one for disabling it without the need of rebooting OS.
I also wondered why LG drives don't suffer at all of this behaviour and the answer is: "LG drives have their own MK firmware
flashed, while Pioneer firmware is always the stock one and the Libredrive mode is activated through software on the fly".

I'm pretty sure further sdf releases will fix this issue but I'm happy for what Mike and his team have created for Pioneer. :wink:
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:58 am
with Libredrive mode enabled and sometimes, after rebooting Windows 11, device is not detected at all. I have to turn off/on PC in order to detect it and it is
strictly related to libredrive, as motherboard always detects the drive.
Indeed, disabling libredrive via regedit "drive id" entry after "sdf_stop" the issue is fixed and the device is always properly
detected.
Please elaborate, "not detected" means not detected in MakeMKV or windows doesn't see the drive at all? Is it an internal drive? What do you mean "motherboard sees the drive", do you see the SATA device but no SCSI? What happens if you go to device manager and right-click "scan for hardware changes"?
And how SDF_STOP helps, device is detected in MakeMKV or on a next reboot, etc?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:16 am
Please elaborate, "not detected" means not detected in MakeMKV or windows doesn't see the drive at all? Is it an internal drive? What do you mean "motherboard sees the drive", do you see the SATA device but no SCSI? What happens if you go to device manager and right-click "scan for hardware changes"?
And how SDF_STOP helps, device is detected in MakeMKV or on a next reboot, etc?
I'm sorry and you're absolutely right.

Not detected I mean by Windows OS. If I click on "My Computer", Pioneer drive is not there and I have to reboot PC.
Even under "device manager", device is not listed and the "scan for hardware changes" doesn't help.

Pioneer unit is connected as an internal drive with modular power and sata cable to my motherboard, like any other optical unit.
Motherboard always properly detects the device.

Instead, with SDF_STOP followed by the specific drive ID, Pioneer is always detected by Windows OS and with the reg trick
I can enable/disable LibreDrive mode when I need it on MakeMKV and it's the best choice, so far.

At last, keeping MakeMKV with Libredrive enabled on BDR-S12UHT makes my unit sometimes not detected after rebooting or powering on Windows.
Disabling LibreDrive with SDF_STOP and enabling on the fly via reg trick makes my unit always working fine (detected) under Windows and I can still
use it on MakeMKV when I need it.