Speed Control Registry Key Missing

Everything related to MakeMKV
bynary

Speed Control Registry Key Missing

Post by bynary »

I have 1.16.5 installed on Windows 10 and would like to fiddle with the speed control.

When I navigate to the registry location where the key should be located, it's missing.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling (and deleting the MakeMKV registry entries in between) and otherwise followed the instructions.

I've also tried adding the key manually, but I'm not sure what the string should be named. I've tried:

speed_"The Source ID MakeMKV Displays When it Opens"

and

speed_"Copy and Paste from the firmware version I used when I flashed"

Neither one of these seems to work.

Anyone have any insight why my registry key is missing, or what the correct name for a manually created key might be?
Woodstock

Re: Speed Control Registry Key Missing

Post by Woodstock »

The registry key is not there until you create it. MakeMKV does not do so automatically.

I thought someone had posted the string to import... Someone should pop up momentarily to overwrite my lack of knowledge.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

I'm not sure on Windows, but on Linux if start MakeMKV, open preferences and then close MakeMKV it creates the entry in the .MakeMKV.conf file. Maybe the same trick works to create the registry key?
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

There is some information at: viewtopic.php?p=93341#p93341
bynary

Post by bynary »

I've read through the linked topic on speed control. My problem is makeMKV is not adding the unpopulated string to the Windows registry. Judging by the thread explaining how to set that string's value, I think this behavior is unexpected.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

First, you need to "activate" the drive. Launch MakeMKV so it sees the drive, open preferences, do not change anything, press OK, close MakeMKV. The program would write a default empty speed setting for all drives.
That's what Mike said in the above linked thread. In Windows, then there should be entries in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV . I think the 'trick' is to open preferences and then exit MakeMKV.
bynary

Post by bynary »

Figured it out.

MakeMKV will not create the registry key while it's being used without a key.

I entered the beta key, opened, exited, opened, and the key showed up in the registry.

Good thing, too, I never would have figured out how to name the key on my own.

Also, speed control is wild. Went from 4x bluray rips to 9-11x on NS60.