Vicky Christina Barcelona - NO AUDIO

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
captain

Vicky Christina Barcelona - NO AUDIO

Post by captain »

MakeMKV does manage to rip the video from the blu-ray, and actually seems to rip the PCM audio track (alas, the only one available). So, this may not be MakeMKV's fault, but Handbrake is utterly confused by this audio format, and is unable to transcode it. So, the best I have been able to do is to watch the movie with subtitles and no audio at all. Sad. How is it that blu-ray players have a codec to decode this format, but VLC doesn't?? Is there anything that MakeMKV can do to resolve this?
setarip_old

Re: Vicky Christina Barcelona - NO AUDIO

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

I have a vague recollection that the audiostream was a rather unusual 3 channel PCM - and I converted it by first using tsMuxeR to extract the audiostream, EAC3GUI to convert it to 2 channel PCM stereo and then tsMuxeR to once again remux it...

captain

Post by captain »

Is there any way to do this on OSX Snow Leopard? I have to assume the tsMUXer guys have given up OSX development. Lion is coming out soon, and they still haven't recompiled for Snow Leopard! :-/
http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
Snow Leopard is not supported yet, check this page from time to time for more info.
I have to question MakeMKV's inability to transcode PCM3 (is this DTS?) to AC3, or some other format that can be played or further transcoded. Surely, it is a goal of MakeMKV Final Gold release to be able to TURNKEY a video disc into a file that can be played on any chosen player...no? That is certainly my goal. I want to stick in a disc, and click "Rip Main Feature to default format(s) of choice" or "Rip ALL video to default format(s) of choice" and come back later to have an AppleTV HD and a PS3 HD and a .mkv file all waiting for me.

When we reach Final Release I don't think we should have to ever fire up Handbrake again. :-)
Last edited by captain on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captain

Post by captain »

Here is the VLC complaint log. I have to wonder if MakeMKV just NAMED the audio stream properly (instead of "undf") if VLC might not be able to then play, transcode, or at least pass the audio through to my hardware DTS decoder.

main debug: End of video preroll
main debug: Received first picture
main debug: Decoder buffering done in 240 ms
main debug: control type=13
main debug: looking for decoder module: 31 candidates
main debug: no decoder module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.340 ms - Total 0.340 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.340 ms)
main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `undf'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
main debug: killing decoder fourcc `undf', 0 PES in FIFO
main debug: incoming request - stopping current input
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

For what it may be worth, I've played PCM audio titles ripped by MakeMKV without a problem on my system (a PC)... but only when using the correct filter to do so. My regular Windows Media Center gave me problems, but if I played it in MPC-HC or used AC3Filter to decode on the fly (playing in WMC), then it worked.

So, it's more of a player issue than a ripping issue.

I think Mike's goal is to make a great ripper and leave transcoding to other utilities. Mac seems strangely barren compared to PC in this regard. Strange!

Good luck!

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Marc_G

Hi!
I've played PCM audio titles ripped by MakeMKV without a problem on my system
But have you successfully played one containing 3 channel PCM?

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Yes, this title contains 3-channel PCM (L,R,C) . VLC can't properly parse multi-channel PCMs with channel arrangement information. Mplayer can play these files. Both mkvtoolnix and eac3to can extract audio track as a WAV file.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

setarip_old wrote:@Marc_G

Hi!
I've played PCM audio titles ripped by MakeMKV without a problem on my system
But have you successfully played one containing 3 channel PCM?

Hmmm... I don't recall the details. Sorry. Maybe 3 channel is strange enough to cause a problem. I've never had sound that I couldn't play, one way or another, though...
captain

Post by captain »

Strangely, one iteration of VLC/Handbrake managed to transcode this title to an AppleTV format with functional audio. Then I updated something and it seems to not work again. Regardless, this is obviously not MakeMKV's fault, though it would be nice if MakeMKV could handle ALL potential DVD & Blu-Ray encodings and transcode to more standard ones in the MKV file.
Cheers!
captain

Post by captain »

Or, at least MakeMKV could be clear about what problems are presenting themselves. e.g.: MakeMKV still doesn't say "Hey! I'm failing because your hard drive is full. Delete some crap idiot!" It's message is something cryptic that I still forget until I get to the forum and grep for the text. ;-)

It would be awesome if MakeMKV would recognize that the blu-ray to be ripped is encoded in MicroS**t's VC-1 format, or whatever, and since we all know that VC-1 is problematic, maybe MakeMKV could pop up an alert, and give some options on how to most effectively deal with this fact. e.g.: "This disc is encoded with MicroS**t's crappy VC-1 codec which VLC won't understand. Would you like me to transcode it to 264.H or something so it will play on your PS3?"

I'm getting a little silly with my wording, but I trust y'all know what I'm on about here.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

captain wrote:Would you like me to transcode it to 264.H or something so it will play on your PS3?
MakeMKV is not an encoder. Try something like Handbrake if you want to do this.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox