BU40N Flashing... Concerns...

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
winston9992

BU40N Flashing... Concerns...

Post by winston9992 »

I have (2) original bu40n drives, (1) i use in desktop system which I updated years ago to 1.04 and the other I bought not to long ago that also 1.04 firmware version(s) stock.

Now I was reading from other post(s) that some people have had problem(s) after flashing there drive(s) to a lower firmware...

So should I be concerned to try and flash (1) of my drives that contains encrypted firmware version 1.04.. to re-flash to lower firmware version????

Unsure if the flash is causing people(s) problems, or could the manufacturer have some type of protection in the bios?? Not sure about this stuff..

Any comments??

Also looking for a external (DEPENDABLE) enclosure for a BUN40N... I've read the other posts about Vantec, but also problems with there enclosures...Would like at least maybe usb3.0 or even 3.1... with external power supply, cause I've read the internal power is not capable on the usb port to handle blueray ripping....

Any comments on this????
sebus46

Re: BU40N Flashing... Concerns...

Post by sebus46 »

I used some noname ebay USB 3 to mini SATA converter (exactly this: https://netcomputadores.com.br/p/3a1443 ... line/71851 )

Flash by makemkv worked fine:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: MO5N37J5120
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 53

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes 
sebus46

Post by sebus46 »

winston9992 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:20 pm

Also looking for a external (DEPENDABLE) enclosure for a BUN40N... I've read the other posts about Vantec, but also problems with there enclosures...Would like at least maybe usb3.0 or even 3.1... with external power supply, cause I've read the internal power is not capable on the usb port to handle blueray ripping....

Any comments on this????
You do not need external power, if you run via hub, then make sure the HUB is powered. Or get the Y splitter cable (where the second connection is for power only)
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

sebus46 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:57 pm
winston9992 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:20 pm

Any comments on this????
You do not need external power, if you run via hub, then make sure the HUB is powered. Or get the Y splitter cable (where the second connection is for power only)
Vantec NST-510S3-BK is the most dependable host-powered enclosure you can get along with the genuine Archgon enclosure. We have tested many enclosures and found that the Archgon or Vantec is the best host-powered enclosure. As a seller, we want to supply an enclosure that there are no returns with and that is extremely reliable. Pioneer is the best brand to buy, in our opinion but it is also more expensive. The BDR-XD07T/S is host powered but has also the option to add on a power adapter which is a good solution.

UHD Friendly Drives
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
sebus46

Post by sebus46 »

Only issue is that Vantec NST-510S3-BK is not available in Europe
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

sebus46 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:01 am
Only issue is that Vantec NST-510S3-BK is not available in Europe
Yes, it is; we have over 244 enclosures in stock.

uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387

UHD Friendly Drives

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387