Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Coopervid

Re: Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Post by Coopervid »

cas206 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:38 am
Coopervid wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:23 am
cas206 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:27 am
Can I get a PM? :wink:
US.
For 5.25 enclosure.
OWC Mercury Pro, Vantec NexStar DX2, Vantec 536S3
I was too terse. I was looking for drive recommendation to go into an enclosure that I already have. I had a bad experience with OWC. Mine went bad in roughly about a year. Replaced with Vantec and it is working fine, a year later. So I bought another Vantec for a two drive setup. Both working great.
PM sent.
thimble186

Post by thimble186 »

I'm also looking for recommendations for a drive. I'm in Europe (NL) and prefer a slim Pioneer drive but are open to 5,25" enclosure. Thanks for any input.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

thimble186 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:31 pm
I'm also looking for recommendations for a drive. I'm in Europe (NL) and prefer a slim Pioneer drive but are open to 5,25" enclosure. Thanks for any input.
Verbatim 43888. Check Amazon Germany.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
thimble186

Post by thimble186 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:49 pm
Verbatim 43888. Check Amazon Germany.
Thank you so much! I did quite some research on the LG, Pioneer, Asus drives but didn't know this "simple" option :oops:
davrous

Post by davrous »

Hi there!

I'm also looking for the best drive to rip my BR4K collection. I'm based in Europe / France and ready to flash the drive if needed. I've got a desktop PC but I don't really mind about the form factor of the drive.

Thanks!

David
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

davrous wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:39 am
Hi there!

I'm also looking for the best drive to rip my BR4K collection. I'm based in Europe / France and ready to flash the drive if needed. I've got a desktop PC but I don't really mind about the form factor of the drive.

Thanks!

David
Read your PM.
davrous

Post by davrous »

Ok, looks like the Verbatim 43888 can be found on Amazon France too and can be flashed with the Libredrive firmware, I'm going to give it a try :)
davrous

Post by davrous »

Thanks, Coopervid but I've ordered a Verbatim 43888 in the meantime and can't (yet?) answer to DM nor sent them. It looks like it's Makemkv compatible out of the box.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

davrous wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:18 pm
Thanks, Coopervid but I've ordered a Verbatim 43888 in the meantime and can't (yet?) answer to DM nor sent them. It looks like it's Makemkv compatible out of the box.
The 43888 doesn't need to flashed.
mikeporterinmd

Post by mikeporterinmd »

I have a UHD capable drive (Pioneer external, 1.01fw. I think), but I backup a lot of Blu Ray and DVDs. Would like to save the UHD capable drive for 4K. Looking for LibreDrive capable Pioneer, external USB, slim, slot loading drive. I could Flash, but I am also willing to by local, so to speak. US destination.
Last edited by mikeporterinmd on Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mikeporterinmd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:01 pm
I have a UHD capable drive (Pioneer external, 1.01fw. I think), but I backup a lot of Blu Ray and DVDs. Would like to save the UHD capable drive for 4K. Looking for LibreDrive capable Pioneer, external USB, slim, slot loading drive. I could Flash, but I am also willing to by local, so to speak.
If you want a slot drive contact asmcom.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
mikeporterinmd

Post by mikeporterinmd »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:32 pm
mikeporterinmd wrote:
I have a UHD capable drive (Pioneer external, 1.01fw. I think), but I backup a lot of Blu Ray and DVDs. Would like to save the UHD capable drive for 4K. Looking for LibreDrive capable Pioneer, external USB, slim, slot loading drive. I could Flash, but I am also willing to by local, so to speak.

I should have said US destination for shipping. They appear to sell to Europe only?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mikeporterinmd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:52 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:32 pm
mikeporterinmd wrote:

I should have said US destination for shipping. They appear to sell to Europe only?
No seller besides asmcom sells UHD compatible Pioneer slot drives. He ships international. Maybe you want to change your preferences and much cheaper options are available.
T_M_K

Post by T_M_K »

Hello,
I'm at the very beginning with collecting and ripping BR disc, most of recommended drives are out of stock wherever I look for, what's your recommendation for drive available in Europe/Poland? Some here mentioned Verbatim 43888, as it should be compatible out of the box, but I've seen some threads here with people having issues with it. My PC case doesn't have a drive bay so internal drives add cost of external bay.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

T_M_K wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:26 pm
Hello,
I'm at the very beginning with collecting and ripping BR disc, most of recommended drives are out of stock wherever I look for, what's your recommendation for drive available in Europe/Poland? Some here mentioned Verbatim 43888, as it should be compatible out of the box, but I've seen some threads here with people having issues with it. My PC case doesn't have a drive bay so internal drives add cost of external bay.
The 43888 should be fine so long as you use either USB-C / USB ports directly on the motherboard or a powered USB hub.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com